× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Told by Netgear that Nighhawk M1 will NEVER get firmware updates if you buoght it unbranded

NiklasK
Aspirant

Told by Netgear that Nighhawk M1 will NEVER get firmware updates if you buoght it unbranded

To start off, I Would like an OFFICAL Netgear agent to reply to this post confirming my experienc so atleast others thinking of buying this product can be warned.

I rececntly bought a Unbranded, Brand Spaking New Nighhawk M1 from Amazon UK, Sold and dispatched by Amazon UK. Again brand new, unlocked product. We use it for our buissnes as a LTE modem in IP bypass mode. When i first got the Unit i checked if there was any new firmware available for the product by clicking the check for update button in the Web Gui using using a webbroswer, got a response that we were on the latest firmware.

The M1 has worked fine, however we do experience tiny drops here and there eventhough we are super close to the operators LTE Antenna, about 50meters away so connection should be no problem, we even bought an offical Netgear LTE booster antenna that is plugged in to the Nighthawk M1 just to be sure that coverage should never be a problem (i know waste of money when so close and with 4 bars)

I figured that it might be a Firmware update avilable for the M1 today that perhaps would fix the tiny drops of internet connection so i decided to give it another go, however every time i click check for update it gets stuck on Checking with no response if a firware is available or not, after 10 reboots and a lot of mucking about i decided to contact Netgear support.

LONG story short, I was told by the Netgear support they do not supply Updates or Firmware for the Nighthawk M1 routers, I told the guy that we bought a the router UN-Branded and unlocked with only the Netgear Logo on the box NO operator was supplied or associated with the product. The support agent said the normal scripted reply I understand your concern yada yada yada yada but netgaer does not do firmware updates for this product only the Mobile Providers will provide updates. Again i tried to reason with him explianing that i did NOT buy it from an operator and that i bought it in effect directly from Netgear and that no Operator has ever touched the devices, he again went back to his script saying Netgear does not provide or make any firwmare for the M1 routers. I asked to speak to someone else that knew more and was told no need as i am at the right deparment and he was an expert on these devices.

This is truly some BS, the reason we bought it directly, brand new from Amazon UK with stock that came directly from Netgear that no operator had touched was for easy firmware updates. The product cost £300 (not cheap) and i am being told by Netgear support staff that netgear does not update this product or develope firmware for it?

Honestly will return this in the next couple of days if i do not hear back.

See attached screen shot for firmware update getting stuck on checking

Model: MR1100|NIGHTHAWK M1
Message 1 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Re: Told by Netgear that Nighhawk M1 will NEVER get firmware updates if you buoght it unbranded

This policy does sound wrong to me, too. Retail customers with the unbranded product variant have the right for security fixes and firmware updates, too. @ChristineT @Christian_R please. 

Message 2 of 8
ErnestTheGreat
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@NiklasK The information you received is incorrect, there are two types of M1 mobile hotspots the ISP branded version and retail version. For UK and EU the MR1100-100EUS is the retail SKU there is also a EE UK branded device. If you have the MR1100-100EUS SKU then the new firmware would be tested and if all tests pass it would be released to the Netgear AirCard update servers. Once the new firmware is uploaded to the Netgear AirCard server you would get a notification that update is available. If there is no notification you can simple get the latest version by logging into your device and going to Settings-->Administration-->Firmware Update and click on Check for Updates button. if  update is available it will be downloaded to your device.

For ISP branded M1 devices the FW has to be approved by the ISP and ISP would then load the  FW onto their update servers and send out a notification to devices that update is available and users would just do the update. 

As far as Netgear support goes they always recommend that ISP is the first point of contact for retail devices because if there is issues with SIM or LTE network they are not able to support it.

Furthermore, if you are having issues that are not related to LTE network or the SIM then I would suggest to get in contact with their support if the issue still continues after updating to latest FW version.  

Message 3 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Thank you Ernest for the clarification! Let's hope the OP does have a real retail version.

Message 4 of 8
NiklasK
Aspirant

Hi ErnestTheGreat

Thank you for replying to this post. Thank you for clarifying and confirming that firmware updates should indeed be supplied to the version we bought the Retail Version. I can confirm that we have indeed the 100EUS version that was bought directly from Amazon for £300.

Some one should speak to the support agent that helped me on the phone earlier today, as honestly it is one of the worst customer support experiences i have ever had. I know the support is free for the first 90day, however i would NEVER take out the premium extended support after speaking to an agent that has no clue what he is talking about.

I tried to explain that what he said made no sence but it fell on deaf ears, I said why would customers that buy the Retail version directly not be supported and how can it be ISPs job to realease firmwares for your products etc.

Anyway my problem still persists, everytime i click check for update i get stuck on Checking with no respons, no update not available etc, it just gets stuck on Checking. I have tied with a fully charged battery, and whitouth a batter with no differnece.

I have done 10 reboots and tried several times, I will call "support" again tomorrow and see if there are any hints as how to solve this.

Message 5 of 8
ErnestTheGreat
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@NiklasK What is the FW version and PRI that your MR1100 has currently?

Message 6 of 8
NiklasK
Aspirant

Hi @ErnestTheGreat

Thank you for getting back to me, the version we have installed is NTG9X50C_12.04.02.00

See screen shot for more information

Message 7 of 8
ErnestTheGreat
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @NiklasK according to the info and the screenshot you provided the FW version NTG9X50C_12.04.02.00 and PRI 4.03 suggests that your device is running the latest FW version available.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7