× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Unlock code for Nighthawk M1

Edrees
Follower

Unlock code for Nighthawk M1

Hi, i have the Nighthawk M1 router from Ooredoo and i want to use it with other carrier.
When i put other sim card other than Ooredoo it says unlock code is required.
So how can i unlock it?
Model: MR1100-100
Model: MR1100|NIGHTHAWK M1
Message 1 of 11
assa2005
Initiate

I have the same issue and the network (Ooredoo) did not tell that the device will be a scrap and I will have to recycle it in to the trash after my contract date ends.

and Netgear support team says we do have nothing to you. THAT IS NON SENSE, I REGRET BUYING THIS ROUTER, IT'S A WASTE OF MONEY.

Message 2 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Not a Netgear problem, and nothing Netgear can do for you. The very same with Apple, Samsung, Huawai, HTC, ... or any other brand where resellers are applying SIM locks on phones, routers, ... Shouting around here does not help.

If you buy a mobile phone or a router with a SIM lock from a provider - typically at a lower price then what an unlocked device does cost in the free market - it's up to the provider to help you, there is your related contract. Some might offer to pay-out the device from the running contract, on others you have to wait until the one/tow/three year contract is expired (and the unit is paid down) to get an unlock code.

Get in touch with Orodeo on the related country where your Orodeo contract is in place.

Edit: Can a moderator please move this thread to the Mobile Routers, Hotspots & Modems forum @ArodiD @mdgm-ntgr

Message 3 of 11
assa2005
Initiate

No this was not helpful at all, you didn't add anything useful.
What actually happens is that these companies are fooling the customers by help of Netgear or otherwise. The customers should be clearly told that the device that they pay for is unusable with a different SP, and they are free to decide.
In my case, if I knew that I wouldn't take it, I had to buy it from that specific SP because it's not available in the local market anywhere else.

Message 4 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Again, your business and contract partner is Ooredoo (sorry for the spell checker typo above) please complain there - not here with the Netgear community.

@assa2005 wrote:

What actually happens is that these companies are fooling the customers by help of Netgear or otherwise. The customers should be clearly told that the device that they pay for is unusable with a different SP, and they are free to decide.
In my case, if I knew that I wouldn't take it, I had to buy it from that specific SP because it's not available in the local market anywhere else.

Neither Netgear nor Apple, Samsung, Huawai, HTC, ...  are fooling customers. This is the story with branded and SIM locked devices is always the same: Providers are pre-financing mobile devices, routers, ... in fact they are giving you a credit, and you pay back the credit for the duration of the contract the SIM lock remains in place. And thier colaterals are (among the contract) the SIM lock. FMI: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_lock

Sometimes a provider has the exclusive rights on a device for a certain time for a specific market. Don't know anything about Netgear <-> Ooredoo deal (support, exclusivity, ...) - I'm not Netgear. All I can help is provide you with an eye opener and information. 

Message 5 of 11
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Just to be clear, if you purchase a locked device (any cellular device -- phone, hotspot, etc.) from a carrier or as part of a carrier agreement (through a reseller), once you have fulfilled the terms of the agreement (which could be as simple as paying for the device in full) you should be able to request and receive the unlock code from said carrier (ex Ooredoo).  At least that is how it works in the United States.  The laws in other countries may differ.  If Ooredoo won't give an unlock code, then you may have to just return it.  There are "unapproved" vendors which claim to be able to generate an unlock code for you, but caveot emptor.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 6 of 11
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi assa2005,

They are correct. You would need to contact that ISP and have them unlock the device for you.

Please keep us updated. :]

- Jason N

Message 7 of 11
Richard_J
Tutor

Hi, 

I need help, how to get my Netgear Nighthawk M1 unlocked? I want to use the Nighthawk M1 in other countries with other network providers' SIM card. please help. 

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 8 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@Richard_J wrote:

I need help, how to get my Netgear Nighthawk M1 unlocked? I want to use the Nighthawk M1 in other countries with other network providers' SIM card. please help. 

Either you have not read this thread, or all you want is to bring Spam links (with the product decription) into the community.

Message 9 of 11
firefish
Aspirant

@schumaku wrote:

Not a Netgear problem, and nothing Netgear can do for you. The very same with Apple, Samsung, Huawai, HTC, ... or any other brand where resellers are applying SIM locks on phones, routers, ... Shouting around here does not help.

Just to clear this up: The Apple iPhone changed the 'name of the game' when it came to SIM unlocking a cellular hardware device. It seems like almost ages ago when you'd need a deeply hidden 'SIM UNLOCK CODE' that differed based on the manufacturer and model of the device you'd be seeking carrier freedom for. So a Palm Trio vs. a Nokia may be two totally different SIM unlock codes, but nonetheless the common unifying factor was that the capability rested within the device's baseband / operating system. 

Then along comes Apple being Apple, and flips the script:

"You want to SIM UNLOCK OUR device? That's too close of a violation to rule #1 on our ten commandments, which is 'thou shall not f&%# with our hardware'.

So the actual order of events involved when SIM UNLOCKING an iphone is as follows:

1. You fight with your carrier and eventually get lucky in convincing them to allow you to unlock your particular device.
  2. Your carrier adds your iPhones IMEI number (a unique identifier that identifies your device in a very overpopulated world of gadgets) to Apple's iPhone SIM UNLOCK Device Database. This database is controlled by Apple, just like they control almost every aspect of their brainchildren which has really made them who they are today. 
  3. As such, every time an iPhone would be RESTORED with a freshly installed iOS firmware file, one of the very first steps that would happen behind the scenes is that iTunes would ping this master IMEI database with your device's IMEI, and if it received a response that confirmed your device's STATUS AS BEING ALLOWED TO BE UNLOCKED, you'd be shown a very friendly message in iTunes saying "congratulations, your iPhone is now unlocked", as if to say, 'great job; we screwed over your carrier together!'.
  4. As the hardware and software have evolved, they've removed iTunes from the equation. Nonetheless, the same process happens directly from your iPhone to Apple's servers during its first boot after being cold loaded, which also checks to see if your iPhone was listed in a database of known stolen devices and iCloud locked devices.

I'm starting to loose my own attention to the point I was trying to make when I began blurting this out, but I must admit that it aint anything that will be considered earth groundshattering. Generally, what I am trying to say is this: Don't think for a second that it is economically fair for a carrier to lock a device that you likely paid full price for, or in my case, even more. I believe this whole carrier locking concept is the most pathetic means of operating. Really, it's sad. Imagine trying to pickup a girl in a bar, but before putting the moves on her factory locking her to you and only you no matter what. A little self-confidence goes a long way. A strong cellular carrier should be confident that customers won't want to switch carriers, because their service is impecable. It doesn't help anyone to screw your customers by making them rebuy a new piece of hardware when they've already paid for a perfectly capable device that they, the carrier, have failed to adequately provide satisfactory service to, which is why you the consumer may be back in the market with eyes on their competitor.

So childish.

Message 10 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Complain to the carriers doing/requesting it. You have _their_ device, not a generic Netgear device (where no SIM lock is in place). It's not childish - it's related to a sponsored and/or custom configured unit where the provider has paid for it. If you think you have the right for an unlock code because of having paid the full price, talk to the provider.

What Apple has done is a different thing, adding yet another layer of security - not just the SIM lock - around the iTunes controls while full reset or even crack attempts.

Using big bold and italic letters does not change anything. Most people reading and replying here are just customers like you and me.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7