× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

When are we getting NEW firmware for the Nighthawk M1?

DaForc3
Follower

When are we getting NEW firmware for the Nighthawk M1?

The M1 is currently suffering from...

Wireless stops responding

Random reboots

Battery sometimes refuses to charge

Ethernet going to sleep

Constant issues with usage meter

Poor upload performance

Lack of advanced settings in menu (Qos)

Hurry up Netgear!

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Re: When are we getting NEW firmware for the Nighthawk M1?

Hi  Wiz_THS,

The current implementation on 10.16.04.04 (MR1) is as follows:

- MR1100 boots up and ethernet port is live for about 30 seconds

- If Ethernet port detects something plugged in it will remain active

- If Ethernet port detects nothing is plugged in it will disable the port to preserve battery life

We are investigating ways of keeping the ethernet port active whilst still trying to preserve battery life.  These fixes could possibly be implemented in MR2 but not commited as yet.

Kind Regards,

ArodiD

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 16

All Replies
graham999au
Aspirant

+++++1

The ethernet timeout and no IP-passthrough are show-stoppers for me. I can't use this device for my requirements until this is fixed - it's sitting on the shelf......

Message 2 of 16
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

We plan to fix the following issues in the next firmware update which is scheduled for release late July/ early Aug depending on Telstra certification. 

Wireless stops responding
Random reboots
Battery sometimes refuses to charge
Ethernet going to sleep
Constant issues with usage meter
Poor upload performance

DarrenM

Message 3 of 16
Wiz_THS
Aspirant

Any updates as to when the firmware update for fixing the 'Ethernet going to sleep' will be released?

Model: MR1100| Nighthawk M1
Message 4 of 16
MicW
Luminary

Apparently a new firmware came out yesterday. Though there is no information anywhere on what issues it addresses. You could try a manual check under Administration in settings and see if ti will update
Message 5 of 16
Wiz_THS
Aspirant

My Netgear M1 is up to date and the Ethernet is still going to sleep 😞

Does anyone know an ETA to when this issue will be fixed?

Message 6 of 16
MicW
Luminary

Strange, that was supposed to be fixed in firmware NTG9X50C_10.16.04.04. Is that the version you're running?
Message 7 of 16
Wiz_THS
Aspirant

Correct. I am running NTG9X50C_10.16.04.04 and the ethernet still goes to sleep after a short period. Very annoying!

Message 8 of 16
MicW
Luminary

Have you checked that power saving is turned off for your ethernet card in windows device manager? (assuming you are running windows). I can remember this sort of thing being an issue  way back, when windows would turn the ethernet off when it was idle. This may lead to a follow on where the modem may think there isn't anything using the ethernet and puts its own port to sleep as well.

Message 9 of 16
Wiz_THS
Aspirant

Not using Windows, so can't blame that. It's actually connected to a router as a failover device for when the main link fails. The port run's in standby and if the main link fails then the 4G will kick in. Issue is that the Netgear M1 ethernet is asleep so it doesnt failover. We have used other Netgear 4G devices in the past without issue. This is the first device where we have this kind of issue.

Message 10 of 16
MicW
Luminary

I've got mine connected to a switch. I only installed the new firmware last night so I don't have much experience with it yet. I do notice that I no longer have to press the power button on the M1 to wake it up after turning it on for the first time in the morning, which is a good thing. Other then that my modem hasn't had any of the issues I have seen reported on the forums. Its ethernet port never went to sleep during the 16 hours per day I had it running. The only other thing I can imagine might be worth trying is resetting your modem to factory default as it may be holding settings from the last firmware. I also only run my modem from a aftermarket quickcharge 2 power supply( the supplied power adaptor is truely not fit for purpose) as recommended by the manual, and have removed the battery.

Message 11 of 16
MicW
Luminary

As an afterthought. This modem does seem to be designed for the use you have it set up for. It has a data offloading which means it will use data from another modem eg:ADSL landline before it uses 4G. Have you tried using that feature? Settings>data offloading . You can connect to the other modem via wifi or ethernet.That may solve your issue by keeping it awake.

Just a thought

Message 12 of 16
Wiz_THS
Aspirant

Tried doing a factory reset but it didn't help.

I don't really want to go down the patch of data offloading.

Is it really that hard to make a firmware update so keep the ethernet port always active?

Message 13 of 16
MicW
Luminary

yeah, drop down box option in settings for always on or sleep after x minutes would be nice. Is it possible to configure your router not to have its port in standby. If the M1 see's its port is terminated it will stay awake. Mine has never gone to sleep even with no traffic on the network , as long as it has an active termination

Message 14 of 16
Wiz_THS
Aspirant

Unfortunately not, it's configured with an active/standby mode where the main link is active and the 4G is standby. Should the main link fail, the 4G changes to active. Issue is that the Netgear M1 is no longer active and it doesn't fail over. We have used other Netgear 4G devices in the past without issue. This is the first Netgear 4G device we have used with such an annoying issue.

Message 15 of 16
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Hi  Wiz_THS,

The current implementation on 10.16.04.04 (MR1) is as follows:

- MR1100 boots up and ethernet port is live for about 30 seconds

- If Ethernet port detects something plugged in it will remain active

- If Ethernet port detects nothing is plugged in it will disable the port to preserve battery life

We are investigating ways of keeping the ethernet port active whilst still trying to preserve battery life.  These fixes could possibly be implemented in MR2 but not commited as yet.

Kind Regards,

ArodiD

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7