× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Which Band to use, and range to set

GracieAllen
Tutor

Which Band to use, and range to set

I'm SURE these simple questions have been answered in here, but my search didn't turn anything up...

Just bought an M1 for use when traveling.  Got it working, have been testing with laptop and streaming, seems to work ok.

Installed the Netgear mobile app on the tablet and found settings for WIFI Range, 2.4GHz bandwidth and 5GHz bandwidth.

The WiFi range is set to short, but there's a medium and long.  I can't find any information on this in the Nighthawk manual, and I"m curious what this setting changes.  I presume it changes the strength of the hotspot but how do I know when I can/should use short, or need medium or long?

Why would I change the 2.4 or 5 GHz Bandwidth?  Right now they're 20MHz and 80MHz respectively - why/when would I set them to something else?

Is there a reason to connect to the 2.4GHz vs the 5GHz?  Is one faster?  More efficient?  Reach further? 

Is there a guide somewhere for new users to figure out how to best configure this for different uses.  I'll have 2 laptops, periodically a tablet, and periodically be streaming a tv concurrently, so nothing like the "20" devices it talks about supporting, but I'd like to have it be as idiot-proof as possible.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 4
GracieAllen
Tutor

Dumb questions?  Bad questions?  Or is this place just really quiet?

Message 2 of 4
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Sorry for replying late.

For normal usage, you can use the default settings of the device.

For WiFi range, it is related to the WiFi signal transmission power. Setting as Short will reserve the battery power, but you have to use the device closer to your laptops. Setting Long will be the opposite. You can set based on your own preference.

As for WiFi 2.4GHz and 5GHz, they are common for all WiFi routers. You can search online to find the related information.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks

Message 3 of 4
GracieAllen
Tutor

Thanks for the reply.  I'll try things at the defaults and see if it works in the RV.

I've got a Mimo antenna and two different outside antennas I can mount on an extendable pole.  Hopefully ONE of them will get me a signal most places.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7