× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

WiFi disabled on Nighthawk M2

CTS-59
Tutor

WiFi disabled on Nighthawk M2

Hi I have just set up my Nighthawk M2 out of the box, and all seemed fine - connection to my EE providor is fine. Then the WiFi shows a red cross, and is disabled. I have tried rebooting, and also reverting to factory settings. WiFi is enabled in the menu. Please help - this is driving me mad!
Message 1 of 11
W1lliam
Virtuoso

Re: WiFi disabled on Nighthawk M2

Please check if your WiFi has sleep time set, it will be turned off in few minutes without connections made to M2.

Message 2 of 11
CTS-59
Tutor

Hi @W1lliam

Thanks for this suggestion.  I had changed the sleep to "never".  Looking on the community forum, I can see a number of people with exactly the same issue, suggesting a firmware problem.  The second problem that my M2 has is that it is not able to check for firmware updates - it just endlessly says "checking for updates".  

Model: AC2100|Nighthawk AC2100 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 11
W1lliam
Virtuoso

What is the model for your M2? I can try with the same from here if having same problem, also firmware upgrade for M2 seems no longer making file available, as some M1 models, for customer to proceed local upgrade, OTA does have some problem with different carrier SIM and never had a resolution that can be provided to customer who bought this product from retail channel, yes, you can blame on the carrier who bulndle the specific model but not for retail model, there is no explanation on how you can get the upgrade without these hurdles.

Message 4 of 11
CTS-59
Tutor

Thanks @W1lliam 

SKU: MR2100-100EUS

Unlocked retail version from Amazon, not from carrier.

Model: MR2100|Mobiler Router Nighthawk M2
Message 5 of 11
W1lliam
Virtuoso

@CTS-59  I've tried with my MR2100-100EUS, FW NTGX24_10.17.01.00, and WiFi is working as expected, just that I only enable 5GHz and shut off 2.4GHz radio (to reduce power consumption and heat). What is your FW revision?

Message 6 of 11
CTS-59
Tutor

Hi @W1lliam 

Thank you for looking at this - I really appreciate your assistance.

FW: NTGX24_10.17.01.00

I've changed the WiFi band to 5Ghz only, and restarted, but WiFi still disabled with red cross.

Just to be sure, I did a factory reset, and then changed the band to 5Ghz and took off the sleep settings. - still no wifi I'm afraid.   Charlie

Message 7 of 11
W1lliam
Virtuoso

@CTS-59 I am using an power adaptor which is supporting QC3.0, what power adaptor you are using? As for RESET to factory default, were you using a pin inserted to RESET button on the back, or you are doing that via Web interface? Have you inserted the battery when testing? I did a FACTORY RESET and reconfigure everything, it is just working so far. Ethernet Standby disabled, BTW.

Message 8 of 11
CTS-59
Tutor

Hi @W1lliam

Thanks.  The charger I've been using is the one supplied in the box - sorry, I'm in the office, and this is at home.  

Previous factory resets have been with the battery installed and with the pin, via the unit interface, and via the web interface.  I gave it a further go just now, but this time without the battery - power is via the USB from my laptop.  selected 5Ghz only, and never sleep wifi.

Still no change, unfortunately.

Message 9 of 11
W1lliam
Virtuoso

@CTS-59 Please try with QC3.0 charger, I did have similar issue as you when supplied power is insufficient.

Message 10 of 11
CTS-59
Tutor

Hi @W1lliam  Thanks - will try that tonight.  Charlie

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements