× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

WiFi slow on MR1100

emtr3
Tutor

WiFi slow on MR1100

Why is the wifi slower on the US version of the Nighthawk M1 then it is in the Australian version on Telstra? People are getting real world speeds of 200+mbps over WIFI? Whereas I can only get max no more than 30mbps symmetrically over wifi while over gigabit ethernet I can get around 200mbps. Any good reason or is it ATT firmware that throttles us?
Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Re: WiFi slow on MR1100

Hi emtr3,

I'd say trying taking it to an AT&T store and see if they will swap it out for you.

-Jonathan

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Hi emtr3,

Congrats on getting 200Mbit on AT&T when clients are connected over Ethernet!  I've yet to see more than ~120 Mbit from mine -- though, that was over Wifi.

In order to get fast Wifi speeds, make sure your Wifi settings are set corrects:

0) be sure you have the latest firmware 12.06.02.01 (or 12.02.06.01 -- I forget)

1) turn off 2.4Ghz (preferred for stability).  Or set it to a different SSID

2) Ensure 5.8 Ghz range is set to Long, AC, 40 Mhz.

3) Use a tool like inssider or other to see what channel wifi channels are only lightly used in your location

4) Set the MR1100 to use that 5.8Ghz channel -- though Auto seems to work fairly well, too.

5) Associate your Wireless client to the 5.8GHz SSID

6) Be sure your client is 2x2 (any modern iPhone, iPad, Samsung S7/8/9, etc.) should do

7) use fast.com for benchmarking.

We're at an inflection point where only the newest Wifi technology is fast enough for the higher LTE speeds.  2.4 Ghz won't cut it any more.  And band steering, if the MR1100 supports (not sure) is often a crap shoot.

5.8Ghz AC, 40Mhz, with 2x2.  This has a maximal air link rate of 866Mhz.  Of which, best case, it can suppor ~350-400Mbit for a single 2x2 client with no RF interference at close range -- same room.  As you move further away from the AP, or have more than 2 or 3 clients all chatting away, this will deterioate to ~100-200Mbit.

I wish we could set the 5.8Ghz radio to 20Mhz for better range, but alas this is not an available option.  My Velocity 2 lets you pick from 20, 40, 80, or auto and has much better range in general.  But the MR1100 is a bit faster over LTE.

I would not recommend using 80Mhz unless your 5.8Ghz RF spectrum is very clear.  Generally there is too much noise and too limited range for 80Mhz.  Often 40 performs better.  But feel free to experiment.

No mattery what, Ethernet will be better.  I just bought a proper AP (TP-Link EAP225v3) to connect to my MR1100 over Ethernet.  This will give me the best 2.4 and 5.8Ghz range and speed possible without worrying about the limited power and thermal envelope of the MR1100.

-Jonathan

Message 2 of 11
emtr3
Tutor

Thanks for the swift reply J! I have tried playing with and around the internal settings of the wifi and modem settings itself but it just seems to be falling subpar or inferior to our aussie counterparts equipment. I know I wouldnt get anywhere near the 200-300 mbps in my area without another mast being placed nearby but for them to be getting 200 mbps in a crowded area over wifi should make me getting over 30^&down a easy piece of cake. I've tried multiple times to break that speed without using my Nighthawk X6S range extender (that's where I got my 200mbps speed test once before). Hardwired from the M1 to the X6S and then to the xbox one for a update, but I cant necessarily carry around a 200$ AC powered range extender....
Message 3 of 11
emtr3
Tutor

Also out of curiosity what kind of speeds do you normally see?
Message 4 of 11
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Hi emtr3,

Help me understand.  Do you have the US version, and your friend has the Australian version?  When you are both here in the USA, he gets 200Mbit and you get 30Mbit?  Are you sure you are both on AT&T?  Is he roaming onto a different carrier -- like Tmobile or Verizon?

I routinely get ~20-60Mbit on AT&T in PA and NJ -- across all of my AT&T equipment (iPhone 6s, iPhone 5s, MR1100, Velocity 2).  Best case, when very near (1000 feet) a strong AT&T cell tower with fiber backhaul I might get 90-120Mbit.  Best speeds I've ever seen on AT&T were ~150-160Mbit.  This was on my 6s, on the MR1100 I've only ever gotten 120Mbit.

I suspect that AT&T is being very stingy with carrier aggregation.  Also, they don't have 20MHz chunks on most carrier bands.  Often just 5 or 10MHz.  It could be that the AUS version is more aggressive at aggregating across multiple carrier bands.  AT&T may be limiting this.

AT&T seems very slow in implemeting 3x and 4x CA, along with 256 QAM, and 4x4MIMO.  Tmo and Verizon are way ahead in this regard.

-Jonathan

Message 5 of 11
emtr3
Tutor

The MR1100 not the 1100-eur or -aus. My m1 is through att and by counterparts I just mean other mobile modems that you see in videos on YouTube, one video is someone sitting in what seems to be a small café and seamlessly pushing well over 200mbps. It's quite interesting that I am only finding those speeds on the aus versions of the modem. It's a more than capable modem I can tell you that. Cat 16 modem in it too which is impressive but I feel att is either slowing it down or their firmware is impeding its performance. Kinda curious to see how an unlocked eur or aus modem would perform on att. In my town theres a few spots where 180mbps is average.
Message 6 of 11
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Hi emtr3,

Like I said, my MR1100 is the also the US version on AT&T.  I have seen speeds up to 90-120Mbit from the MR1100 over Wifi (5.8Ghz,802.11ac,40Mhz, 2x2).  BUT, these speeds from AT&T are rare where I live.  

In general the MR1100 gets the exact same speeds as my 6s for a given cell toiwer distance.  Sometimes the MR1100 is a little faster, often my iPhone is a little faster.  My Velocity 2 is usually right there, but slightly slower.

AT&T does play games with which bands certain devices are configured to prefer.  Previous versions of MR1100 firmware seems to have some "band hopping" issues where the device was often switching from band to band too frequently.  Current firmware seems better.

Which hardware version of the MR1100 do you have?  Wat AT&T model number?  There supposedly was a Gen2 released after April 2018 which has Band 14.  Supposedly get Gen1 version like I have does not.  None have LAA yet.  Of course AT&T's rollout of Band 14 is pretty limited.

I'd suggest benchmarking your phone over LTE side by side with the MR1100 in multiple locations / towers / times of day.  After doing this on numerous days along my drive to and from work (124 miles round trip), I've convinced myself that they are the same, and that AT&T's network or baseband provisioning config is the limiting factor -- not the device.  The MR1100 seems to do pretty well with very little signal.  Often pulling down 15-30Mbit with signals less than -100 dBA.

Many would agree  the fastest possible LTE device you get get today (with the best reception) is probably one of the Samsung Galaxy devices like the S9.  On Howardforums these seem to post the fastest speeds across multiple carriers (AT&T, Tmo, and Verizon).  The S9 even supports LAA -- which isn't really Cellular at all, just gloried wide area Wifi.

-Jonathan

Message 7 of 11
emtr3
Tutor

I have the mr1100 i'm guessing the second iteration with band 14 support, I have the 6420B model. Firmware is 12.02.06.01 and is current fota fw. I'm unclear of its support on the 14 band but the problems not signal its just the wifi, I guess I'll just have to wonder to the area where I get 4CA on my s9+ to find out. I know i get manic speeds there but havent tried in a while with the m1 modem since the last time I tried it, it was still 30/30mbps last time I tried wondering about the hot zones with 2CA &3CA towers. The speeds on this new cat 16 modem with the s9+ are quite consistent. But I fear now I might have a faulty radio or just too much 5Ghz interference, I've accounted for the crowded 2.4g by disabling it but even then only a 10mbps (40/30) max before it settles down to 30/30 or sometimes 20/30 which doesnt make sense considering that uploads usually 5-15x lower than downlink.... in the common area I use it over ethernet I get on average 80-105mbps, but cannot exceed more than 40mbps for like 2seconds also on many devices, GS9+, GS8, note 4, and a simple little 2.4g tablet.
Message 8 of 11
emtr3
Tutor

Maybe it's a broken uplink antenna or faulty device. As you can see it's got quite the upload definately enough to support download speeds of up to around 300mbps theoretically but it's just not pushing me the speed I want.
Message 9 of 11
emtr3
Tutor

This is over ethernet via a Xbox one taken last night.
Message 10 of 11
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Hi emtr3,

I'd say trying taking it to an AT&T store and see if they will swap it out for you.

-Jonathan

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7