× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Wifi extender or repeater for MR1100?

hairball96
Aspirant

Wifi extender or repeater for MR1100?

What do I need to extend the range of the wifi signal on the MR1100, a wifi extender or repeater?  Model recomendation of extender or repeater?

Just trying to get better coverage when using at home.  On the high setting only reliable for about 15 feet.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 1 of 6
UK-based
Luminary

You need an access point, which you can connect to the MR1100 via its Ethernet port. You can either buy a dedicated access point or use a router and set it up as an access point. I purchased a cheap but effective second hand router and set it up as an access point, which involved switching off various features, like DHCP server, firewall (the MR1100 will be dealing with security). You then change its gateway IP address, picking an address that doesn't clash with the MR1100's gateway address and is not within the DHCP server range that is set on the MR1100 (you can change the MR1100 range if you need to). Remember that after you change its IP address, you need to use this new address in a browser to access its admin interface. Here's a Youtube video that gives a reasonable introduction.

In my set up, I bought a cheap unmanaged Ethernet switch, connected this to the MR1100 and then connected 2 access points (both sencond hand routers converted to access points) into the switch. I have these access points at opposite ends of the house. I gave them different SSIDs so that I could recognise which was which and I also forced them to use different WiFi bands - this probably wasn't necessary but you can easily experiment with this.

Have fun Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 6
hairball96
Aspirant

Thank You!

I tried hooking to my old router via the ethernet port before posting this question but didn't take all the steps you described and of course it didn't work.  Also, when I looked at the MR1100 manual it sounded like the ethernet port was only for a wired internet source to offload the cellular device, so I concluded the only option was some type of wireless device.  Thanks again!

Message 3 of 6
UK-based
Luminary

You're very welcome! The only problem I had was that the Ethernet port on the MR1100 went into standby mode from time to time due to lack of activity - this required the power button to be tapped in order to wake it up again. However, the latest firmware release has an option to Disable the Ethernet Standby mode, which means that it's always on. I'm running my MR1100 without its battery, using an upgraded QC 3.0 mains charger (the MR1100 is actually equipped with a QC 2.0 chip but QC 3.0 chargers are backwards compatible). The 2A charger that was supplied with the MR1100 provides insufficient power to run the MR1100 without its battery - it reboots when under pressure.

If you need any more help setting up your old router as an access point, let me know - I might be able to help.

Message 4 of 6
UK-based
Luminary

Here's another video giving more details about how a specific router is set up as an access point. This router (Home Hub 5) is supplied by British Telecom in the UK but the features that are covered in this video will be similar in other routers. In this case, the router that's being converted to an access point is connected to another identical router operating normally. In fact the presenter has multiple access points converted from routers - he's even dedicated access points to a specific frequency, turning off their dual band mode.

Some routers have a very simple, one-click option to convert them to access points. However, you may still need to tweek a few other settings, as in the above video to get the best set-up.

Message 5 of 6
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

All,

FYI, if you have a spare, unused router you want to re-purpose, by all means.  But if you're just looking for something quick and easy, just buy an inexpensive access point and use the routing and DHCP capability built into the MR1100.

I have this one.  Great range, can cover the whole house.  Down to $60 at the moment.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-EAP225-V3-Wireless-Supports/dp/B0781YXFBT/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1531...

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7