Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ac6300 and nighthawk r7000....can these be hooked up together as 1?

bobal58
Aspirant

ac6300 and nighthawk r7000....can these be hooked up together as 1?

i have a c6300 modem and a nighthawk r7000.  can these be wired up together as one or not?

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: ac6300 and nighthawk r7000....can these be hooked up together as 1?

as one? no, neither are mesh. 

Can you connect the R7000 to the C6300 and run the R7000 in access point mode? yes. you can. 

Can you use the same ssid? yes. But it'll tend to be "sticky" meaning devices will stay connected to one router vs the other until it looses signal. 

Message 2 of 6
bobal58
Aspirant

sorry to say but i dont understand what you said. i understand that you said they can be link in 1 way but not the other but can you tell me how to hook them up together to make it work and be right? im 61 and i know about computers its the modem and mesh thing that really gets me and i dont know how to do it...the right way.....ive tried to get them to connect together but no luck....so if you can will you please tell me  how in old mans language?

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Mesh devices offer seamless roaming and can use a single ssid for bandsteering.

Mesh devices operate either off a roaming protocol or something controlling them. 

Both the R7000 and C6300 don't have the roaming protocol and they aren't mesh.

So they can't be a true mesh system. 

I

You can link the C6300 and the R7000 together. Basically you run an lan cable from the c6300 to the R7000 and plug it into the WAN port on the R7000. Then you put the R7000 in access point mode. The manual walks you through that. 

That would let you use both of them together. I'd recommend using different ssid (names) for them. Reason why is you can set the names the same but they're sticky in that they will stay connected to the one device until they've lost signal or until you switch them. And if you've named them the same, you can't switch them. They won't roam because they're not mesh. By having different names for the 2 devices, you can go in and change which your connected to if you have poor service on one. 

Message 4 of 6
bobal58
Aspirant

sounds easy but i didnt get a manual  with this when i bought it.....used....goodwill.....30.00 dollars i think but i hate to askk if you can give me a little more info on the steps to hooking them up or a website that can give me a step by step process. i dont like to bother people with stuff like this but it cost to much for me to have someone  come out and hook it up. im on disibility (both me and wife) so money is tight right now.

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

If you go to netgear.com/support/  

type in your model number. It'll give you access to the manuals, firmware, install guides, troubleshooting, and theres even some videos walking you through things. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7