× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

cax80 vx CM1000/CM1100/CM1200 -> ORBI

knightmare
Tutor

cax80 vx CM1000/CM1100/CM1200 -> ORBI

I'm looking to convert from ATT to SPECTRUM and get my own Cable modem.  I currently have a PACE 5268AC.   The modem connection is upstairs and I have dead zones downstairs.  Upstairs is about 1100 sq ft and downstair is about 2900 sq ft.

I'm thinking of getting a CM1000 (or possibly CM1100) and connecting that to an ORBI (either AC3000, AX4200, or AX6000).   I also plan on connecting a 4 bay NAS device(Synology DS918+) to run PLEX and backups.  I have 3 wired connections from the modem/router to downstairs.  2 are cat 5 and 1 cat 5E with the CAT 5E going to main entertainment center.  Ideally I would like to have the wireless extend to the back yard (1/3 acre lot).   Is it worth going to the ORBI WIFI 6 for greater coverage?

I see that several of the gurus have a CAX80 as the modem connected to ORBI.  Is this being done using the ORBI as a router running 2 WIFI's,  using ORBI as an access point to the same SSID,  or disabling the WIFI on the CAX80 and using ORBI as the WIFI?  Is there some advantage to using the CAX80 that would make it a better choice over the CM1000/CM1100?
I'm open to any suggestions on this as it would be a new setup.   Thanks  

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: cax80 vx CM1000/CM1100/CM1200 -> ORBI

I've actually left the wifi on my CAX80 running. it allows me to test/play with AX devices. I just make sure the wireless channels are separate from what my orbi is using. And I have the orbi in access point mode. This keeps it simple since I'm only using the orbi for wifi. I do the rest of the management with the CAX80

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The primary point of the CAX80 is the fact that it has a 2.5g port. The cm1100 has port aggregation but I've found port aggregation to be fraught with issues and unreliable. So I can connect my primary pc to the 2.5g port and pull 1.2gig speeds. At some point I'll probably purchase a 2.5g capable switch but for now the wife says no. There currently isn't a modem with a 2.5g port on the market (yet). 

In terms of the coverage its tough to tell you what's the best option. You have a large home with wanting outdoor coverage. Plus certain home materials can block wifi very effectively.  I've never used the Orbi AX but the Orbi AC has provided plenty of coverage for my setup as well as it has the outdoor extender. so its tough to tell you exactly what'll work without actually trying things. 

Something you can check/try. Some cat5 cables had 4 twisted pairs (8 cables) and could potentially run gigabit on short runs. You might try checking the cat5 cable to see if it has all 8 strands and try connecting all of them. Potentially it might work for a gigabit run. 

Message 2 of 5
knightmare
Tutor

@plemansthanks for the info.  So if I understand the main PC is connected directly to the CAX80 to take advantage of a wider pipe.  I assume you then disable the WIFI on the CAX80 and just use the RBK50 as the WIFI router.  If so then it sounds like I could then have a CAX80 as the modem, turn off WIFI and DHCP,  use the 2.5 ethernet to connect to the NAS device(or try aggregate to see how well it works), connect the RBK50 as the WIFI router and set up 2 satellites downstairs.  Also then I could reserve IP's for the other hard wired devices using the ports on the CAX 80 (or switch if needed), and then use the ORBI strictly for WIFI on the same subnet and have it do the DHCP for a range of ip's not in use by the CAX80.  Sounds like the RBK53 system might be a good starting point to see if it will give the desired range in the yard.

The tip on the CAT5 sounds real interesting.  I'll have to check that out. 

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

I've actually left the wifi on my CAX80 running. it allows me to test/play with AX devices. I just make sure the wireless channels are separate from what my orbi is using. And I have the orbi in access point mode. This keeps it simple since I'm only using the orbi for wifi. I do the rest of the management with the CAX80
Message 4 of 5
knightmare
Tutor

Thanks for all the help/info. I'll try the cax80-->rbk53 approach and see if that works.. Seems like it should..
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7