Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

cm1150v issue with phone service and speed.. xfinity

hockeypuck
Star

cm1150v issue with phone service and speed.. xfinity

I have spent a few hours, 2 different times with xfinity operators trying to fix my modem issues.  No phone and can not reach my subscription speed (600) but the first is more important.  Tried a number of modem reboots.  The phone icon on the modem lights for a second after rebot but ultimately goes out.  Xfinity dude in India was useless. Is there something I am missing? THey want to send a tech out to my house and charge me money.  I think this is xfinity getting back at me for ditching their modem. 

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 1 of 27
plemans
Guru

Re: cm1150v issue with phone service and speed.. xfinity

xfinity can be an issue. 

1. log into the cm1150v and get a screen snip of the cable connectin page and the logs. 

2. if you have any splitters, amplifiers, attenautors in your line, remove them. 

3. preferably, directly connect the modem to right where the coax enters the home. this prevents the wiring in the home from being the issue. 

Comcast is great at making it challenging for people who use aftermarket modems. But if you can do your best to ensure it isn't something in the home, then it limits what the issue can be. by direct connecting it to where the coax enters and seeing if you still have the issue it usually means either the line is bad, their cmts is bad, or the modem is bad. 

Message 2 of 27
hockeypuck
Star

I  am unsure which screen you need. 

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 3 of 27
hockeypuck
Star

FYI.. My old comcast modem did have a voice line but we ditched that a number of years ago. They are just being diffucult. 

Message 4 of 27
plemans
Guru

click on the cable connection tab above the voice tab you were on

Message 5 of 27
hockeypuck
Star

I feel like I am giving everyone my banking information... Is this ok?

Message 6 of 27
plemans
Guru

it doesn't have any account info on it. it shows the connection back to the isp. if you doubt this, search the forums, its kind of needed to check the connection. 

I included an example of what it looks like off a c6300. 

Message 7 of 27
hockeypuck
Star

Ok.. pants down 🙂
cablemodem.PNG

Message 8 of 27
plemans
Guru

when you post it as a picture and not "attach file" , a moderator has to approve it. it can take time.
Message 9 of 27
hockeypuck
Star

Message 10 of 27
plemans
Guru

Your signal doesn't look to bad. 

How are you testing speeds? 

What device do you have connected to the modem to test speeds? 

If its a router, disconnect it and directly connect a pc to it. (it has multiple ethernet ports but you can only use 1 at a time through comcast unless you have wan port aggregation on the router)

try dslreports.com  and speedtest.xfinity.com

Message 11 of 27
hockeypuck
Star

I have a netgear router after the modem.  AC1200.  I tested speeds through that.. Its rated for 600 download. I have tested both diret to modem and through the router.  Speed is the least of my issues.. I want phone. My xfinity account has a phone number listed and active.  Does it have something to do with the starting frequency being "0"

Message 12 of 27
hockeypuck
Star

test speed are 230 to 250

Message 13 of 27
plemans
Guru

@hockeypuck wrote:

test speed are 230 to 250

directly connected? 

And you've removed all splitters, amplifiers, attenuators? 

Message 14 of 27
hockeypuck
Star

no, spilter in place for tv.. So I need to rebot without the splitter then reinstall?  I want tv 🙂

Message 15 of 27
plemans
Guru

@hockeypuck wrote:

I have a netgear router after the modem.  AC1200.  I tested speeds through that.. Its rated for 600 download. I have tested both diret to modem and through the router.  Speed is the least of my issues.. I want phone. My xfinity account has a phone number listed and active.  Does it have something to do with the starting frequency being "0"

I don't have the cm1150v or any other voice devices so I'm not sure what there are for settings on the cm1150v to activate change settings for the voice aspect. Potentially the comcast rep provisioned it wrong because the reset of your power looks fine. 

Message 16 of 27
hockeypuck
Star

I think I get what your selling.. need to get a new splitter for speed. But what about the phone.

Message 17 of 27
plemans
Guru

You're just removing the splitter for testing. If it fixes the issue, potentially the splitter could be causing the problems. 

Message 18 of 27
plemans
Guru

which router was it? ac1200 is a speed.

And you were directly connected for speedtest? 

What site did you use? 

not sure what's changeable in the cm1150v for phone settings. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/cm1150v.aspx

Message 19 of 27
hockeypuck
Star

model R6230. I just took out the splitter and attached the modem.. rebotted. still no phone.  Download speed still 230. 

Message 20 of 27
plemans
Guru

I would see if comcast can reprovision it for your service. It wouldn't be the first time the wrong provisioning was done. 

If it doesn't help then its either the modem (a possiblity) or the line. 

Message 21 of 27
hockeypuck
Star

Should i do a factory rebot on the modem and then do a new "enlist" with xfinity?

Message 22 of 27
plemans
Guru

shouldn't need a reboot. just call xfinity and have them reprovision it. 

Message 23 of 27
hockeypuck
Star

Just to update everyone.. spent too much time on the phone with xfinity.  It was wiered that they could not even ping my router saying it was offline even though I have internet.  Tech is coming out tomorrow.  I wonder if my splitter it not the correct type.  It was installed by comcast 10 years ago. Its a 2 way splitter, 5-1000mhz.  -3.5 db out. 

Message 24 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you remove the splitter? 

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7