× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

is there a way to install a different frimware on my modem?

JustAWeeb
Aspirant

is there a way to install a different frimware on my modem?

i want to install a different firmware onto my modem i have one on my moden called openwrt is there one i can flash onto my modem cause right now my modem uses the stock firmware and my carrier tmobile is giving my plan unlimited lte hotspot data a plan thats now grandfathered i want to know if i can install a firmware that uses my plans unlimited data instead of my hotspot data

Model: LB1120|4G LTE Modem
Message 1 of 10

Re: is there a way to install a different frimware on my modem?

@JustAWeeb wrote:

i want to install a different firmware onto my modem i have one on my moden called openwrt ....

Ask the people who write this third party firmware.

Netgear does not support moves like this which would invalidate your warranty.

Message 2 of 10
JustAWeeb
Aspirant

i use this modem i want to be able to use my datas unlimited plan cause paying extra for hotspot is just bad

Model: LB1120|4G LTE Modem
Message 3 of 10
AyeAyeAye
Apprentice

Netgear is propitiatory firmware.

My M2 marketed by the network carrier made no mention of their version/firmware restrictions on the website or anywhere, I’ve been sold a dud Netgear M2 that won’t work well.

I’ve bought a 5G Android for £150 off Amazon that works better even on LTE than M2. There are apps (pdanet) you can use on Android that ensures data comes out your general not Hotspot.

EU net neutrality doesn’t allow a telco/net/carrier to do this now BUT the problem is if you highlight it to them they will force you off the grandad plan.

So Android and off you go... heres how

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/hide-data-usage-get-truly-unlimited-tethering-tmobile-one/
Message 4 of 10
Potter45
Aspirant

Verify that your router is compatible with the new firmware. The firmware that will be covered in these instructions is Tomato, since it is easily the most ...
Download the latest firmware from Tomato’s website (either .7z or .zip format).
Unpack it to a directory of your choice using a program such as winrar.

@AyeAyeAye AARP Medicare wrote:
Netgear is propitiatory firmware.

My M2 marketed by the network carrier made no mention of their version/firmware restrictions on the website or anywhere, I’ve been sold a dud Netgear M2 that won’t work well.

I’ve bought a 5G Android for £150 off Amazon that works better even on LTE than M2. There are apps (pdanet) you can use on Android that ensures data comes out your general not Hotspot.

EU net neutrality doesn’t allow a telco/net/carrier to do this now BUT the problem is if you highlight it to them they will force you off the grandad plan.

So Android and off you go... heres how

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/hide-data-usage-get-truly-unlimited-tethering-tmobile-one/
Message 5 of 10
JustAWeeb
Aspirant

could you tell me more cause im not sure what to do

Message 6 of 10
JustAWeeb
Aspirant

on my router i have openwrt on it i want to know if theres a way for my modem to use my plans unlimited data and not my hotspot data

Message 7 of 10
AyeAyeAye
Apprentice

I don’t know if Openwrt allows the changes? I haven’t used that on a router in almost a decade lol.

I just used a Android device with PDAnet, until GFast went live recently on my copper line, we had limitations like USA until the EU ruled on Net Neutrality a few years ago that a carrier could not stipulate data or devices, a consumer should be treated fairly. Thankfully post Brexit the EU NN stands to date.
Message 8 of 10
JustAWeeb
Aspirant

this sucks maybe i need a different modem or something

Message 9 of 10
AyeAyeAye
Apprentice

LB1120 is quite old now, just makes CAT 4 for LTE status which is old old now.

They are going for £70 in the U.K. now. https://www.box.co.uk/LB2120-100UKS-Netgear-LB2120-4G-LTE-Modem-with-Dual-Et_2291082.html?gclid=EAIa...

It’s a basic LTE entry model then when new and now years later.

Seriously, find a cheap 5G Android & router that will take the 5G input. 5G Modems by all manufactures are still astronomical in prices because they aren’t being hammered out production lines like 5G mobile phone handsets where buying volume reduces the 5G modem price & thus handset retail price.

I find the Mediatek 5G modem in a mobile phone much more stable than even ‘market leader’ Qualcomm’s X55 5G modem.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7