Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

long range wifi solutions

rstopcpa
Follower

long range wifi solutions

I'm looking for a wifi solution that can cover an area of approximately 500 diameter from the unit, if it exists. I have an outbuilding on my property and would like to install wireless cameras. Our home sits on a hill behind some trees that may block the signal some. Suggestions for a solution are appreciate. I don't currently have Netgear router but am looking at them. Non of the descriptions address distances like I'm trying to address.

Thanks,

Bob

Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: long range wifi solutions

@rstopcpa wrote:

I'm looking for a wifi solution that can cover an area of approximately 500 diameter from the unit, if it exists.

Regular WiFi systems coverage falls off dramatically after 50' or so.  In "open air", they might cover 100' or more.  500' is TOO FAR. This is independent of brand.

And, 500' is farther than an ethernet cable run is designed to support.

There are "wireless bridge" producs designed specifically to create a link over distances up to several miles.  They have focused antennas.

A lot of companies make them.  Ubiquiti is one that gets good reviews from users on this forum.  Netgear has one product of this type. To  support IP cameras in a building 500' away, the typical solution would be to install a wireless bridge to connect that building with the main building and install a regular WiFi access point out there for the IP cameras to connect to.  (Or, if the IP cameras are "wired" cameras, install a switch in the remote building.)

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7