× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

netgear Nighthawk M1 How do I stop my neighours accessing my router?

Ontrak18
Follower

netgear Nighthawk M1 How do I stop my neighours accessing my router?

I'm in the house alone, none of my other devices on and the router signal tells me there are 2 devices connected. My data use is madly dropping and my work drops in/out as the 2nd user adds themself. how do i block them? My laptop settings are set to dont appear to others. And when we try to find the router ourselves with our other devices we can't see it. So how do I stop this 2nd unknown uninvited "device connected"?

Message 1 of 4
William10a
Master

Re: netgear Nighthawk M1 How do I stop my neighours accessing my router?

@Ontrak18 wrote:

I'm in the house alone, none of my other devices on and the router signal tells me there are 2 devices connected. My data use is madly dropping and my work drops in/out as the 2nd user adds themself. how do i block them? My laptop settings are set to dont appear to others. And when we try to find the router ourselves with our other devices we can't see it. So how do I stop this 2nd unknown uninvited "device connected"?

You could lock the mac address of the devices you use to the router and reject the others around you just a idea I would also change the ssid and passphrease as well snce they are longer a sercet any more.

I know it is a pain  it should help in removing the unwanted devices.

Also disable wps for just in case they have the wps security key of your router locking down wifi is not the easiest thing to do.

Message 2 of 4
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso

Firstly, are you sure those are not your own devices? Secondly, they should not be able to get on your network unless they have your SSID and PW. WPS might be a possibility. If all else fails, follow this below and send them a message saying "get off my network before I send a virus to your computer" or whatever you think will get the message across. https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/192573-message-send-local-pc-lan-windows-7-vista.html
Message 3 of 4
William10a
Master

If you want to test and see if other people are accessing your network just change the passphrease of your wifi and see if they the other devices follow or go away if the data usage drops then make the need changes to your settings. Any wired devices connected to your router?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7