× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: tethering MR1100 to Aspire SW3-013 Windows 10 laptop

ehorne
Aspirant

tethering MR1100 to Aspire SW3-013 Windows 10 laptop

I am trying to tether my MR1100 to my Windows 10 laptop so that I can modify the available bands on the MR1100. I can tether the MR1100 to  my IMAC and it works great. However, i want to use DC-UNlocker to change the bands and it is only available on Windows.

When I tether to Windows 10 laptop, I get "Invalid IP". I have tried all the ipconfig commands to try and clear the problem with no joy. Windows says all my drivers are up to date. I have searched for alternate drivers, no joy.

Any help would be appreciated.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 15

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. (This is easily done, given Netgear's impenetrable community structure.)

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers about your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

Mobile Routers, Hotspots & Modems

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

Message 2 of 15
ehorne
Aspirant

Thanks, Newbie here.
Message 3 of 15
TL_NTGR
Apprentice

@ehorne  Sounds like the primary goal is to unlock the hotspot.  If this was purchased via AT&T, it is locked but AT&T will provide the unlock code on request (assuming the device is eligable).  If this was purchased from Amazon or NETGEAR direct, it is likely already unlocked.

For the Win10 issue, can the Win10 connect to the hotspot via WiFi?  USB Interface should be set to Charge + Tether in the hotspot UI (this is the default).  But it's possible the setting is set to charge only, thus the USB will not work as a data connection.  The USB Data using the standard NDIS driver included in Windows.  Last thing to check is the USB cable.  best to use the one supplied with the hotspot as not all USB-C cables are the same.

Message 4 of 15
TL_NTGR
Apprentice

Message 5 of 15
ehorne
Aspirant

My MR1100, was bought from Netgear. It is not locked. I used it with its cable on my IMAC and it worked fine, but not on my W10 with same cable. It is set to tether+charge. Thanks for your response.
Message 6 of 15
ehorne
Aspirant

Also, it is the standard NDIS.
Message 7 of 15
TL_NTGR
Apprentice

@ehorne Can you help me understand what change you are looking to achieve?  You stated, "i want to use DC-UNlocker to change the bands"  

Message 8 of 15
ehorne
Aspirant

@TL_NTGR , I want to add some bands so that I can effectively lock to one or two bands. I know I may have to my IMAC and use AT commands, but that will require some learning plus I already paid to use dcunlocker.
Message 9 of 15
TL_NTGR
Apprentice

@ehorne Interesting.  I suggest you attempt this with another Win10 laptop and still not clear why you would want to limit the bands on the device which would only limit it's performance and possbile coverage.

Message 10 of 15
ehorne
Aspirant

@TL_NTGR my modem jumps back and forth between band 4 and 66. Band 4 always has great performance while 66 is ok but sometimes horrible. I would like to lock on band 4 have great performance. Unfortunately, I do not have another WIN 10 computer. Again thank you for your help.
Message 11 of 15

@ehorne wrote:
@TL_NTGR my modem jumps back and forth between band 4 and 66.

What does "jumps back and forth between" mean?

Is this something that the modem does or is it the devices connected to its wifi?

Band 4 is 2.4 GHz wifi. Band 66 is 5 GHz wifi.

The modem generally puts out both. It is up to the wifi client to connect to either and to manage that connection.

5 GHz wifi is faster than 2.4 GHz wifi but has a shorter range.

Is it the MR1100 that changes bands or the laptop? (The first doesn't make sense to me.)

If it is the laptop, then I would leave the MR1100 well alone messing with it could prove disastrous and won't solve the "problem".

You need to pay attention to the laptop's wifi and get it to stick with the 2.4 GHz signal.

You could investigate the use of the 2.4 GHz WiFi Profile described in the manual.

Message 12 of 15
ehorne
Aspirant

The bands I am referring to are the different frequency bands transmitted by the cell tower. The modem selects which band to connect to by it's signal strength. Unfortunately , the band with the strongest signal is not always the one with the best data speed. The MR1100 has 3 groups of bands to select from. I don't want to change these bands, I just want to add my own band groups so that I can limit which bands it connects to.

However, my original question was how to get my modem and Win 10 laptop to communicate  with each other.

Thanks

Message 13 of 15
TL_NTGR
Apprentice

@ehorne  comments in line below

What does "jumps back and forth between" mean?

- The switching on the cellular bands is subject to the cellular network.  Band switching can occur for a number of reasons and the attempt to locking the device to a cellular band will limit the device capability to react to the ever changing mobile network.

Is this something that the modem does or is it the devices connected to its wifi?

- The cellular Band4 and Band 66 has nothing to do with the WiFi, it is references to the LTE/Cellular network.

Band 4 is 2.4 GHz wifi. Band 66 is 5 GHz wifi.

The cellular Band4 and Band 66 has nothing to do with the WiFi, it is references to the LTE/Cellular network.

The modem generally puts out both. It is up to the wifi client to connect to either and to manage that connection.

5 GHz wifi is faster than 2.4 GHz wifi but has a shorter range.

- Yes this is a true statement, but is not related to your Cellular Band 4/66 switching

Is it the MR1100 that changes bands or the laptop? (The first doesn't make sense to me.)

- If your WiFi device is switching between the 2.4 GHz WiFi and 5 GHz WiFi, then this would mean the SSID (Wireless network name) for each WiFi band are the same and the device is switching.  This is not the default configuration.  The other explaination, your WiFi device has learned both the 2.4 GHz WiFi and 5 GHz WiFi and is switching from 5 GHz to 2.4 GHz as you move futher away from the hotspot (like you stated before, 5 GHz is faster, but 2.4 GHz has better WiFi coverage).  

If it is the laptop, then I would leave the MR1100 well alone messing with it could prove disastrous and won't solve the "problem".

- If your goal is to have "better" 5GHz WiFi coverage, use a home WiFi router along with your mobile hotspot.  Connect the Ethernet of the hotspot to a home WiFi router (i.e. NETGEAR Orbi) which will have more powerful and superor WiFi radios. 

You need to pay attention to the laptop's wifi and get it to stick with the 2.4 GHz signal.

You could investigate the use of the 2.4 GHz WiFi Profile described in the manual.

Message 14 of 15
ehorne
Aspirant

Thank you for your input.
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements