Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

850 and Ubos phone

John_Ba
Luminary

850 and Ubos phone

We have been trying to use a Uboss internet phone setup for some weeks. Calls are basically a nightmare in how hit and miss they are. Uboss have told my ISP we are disconnecting every 60 seconds but Netgear support say with the settings in place the router will not be doing it. I have had a second phone box and no change. But I have a number of devices running 24/7and cab see leds flickering all the time so can't see how there is disconxtions nothing else has problem just the phone link. Does any one else have phone systems running through a 850 on current firmware? We are back in the good old not us it's there problem but at 80 I just feel like giving up.
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: 850 and Ubos phone

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 

Have you put this phone device into the RBRs DMZ? 

Is this phone device wireless or wire connected to the system? 

How many RBS are deployed? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router 📡 and satellite(s)🛰️? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR 📡 and RBS 🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

Does this happen with the RBS turned OFF? 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 2 of 8
John_Ba
Luminary

Sorry spellings but I am dislexic
I have added it to the DMZ now, hot nights stoping sleeping have some benifit. I had already had the router off but done so again after adding to the DMZ.

As to the rest, no idea what the modem is, on fiber and its a white box. Cables are as supplied with Orbi and Cisco Phone box. Phone is linked via cable and have used a phone direct into the Cisco box with same problems.

2 other RBS probably nearer than 30 feet but the router is in what was a garage with a brick wall that effects wiFi so the first RBS is ethernet conexted. 3rd one is probably 30 feet vaway from 2nd one.

No idea what happens with RBS off to be honist I cant see why they would cause the signal between the Cisco and Uboss to keep disconexting but nothing else being effected.
I havent done a full reset, Im 80 and its all geting a bit much, we are really thinking of going back onto a land line that bjust alows phone calls whan you make them not messing about for weeks trying to get calls over the web that dont work most of the time!
Message 3 of 8
John_Ba
Luminary

Sorry headed back to bed but I think firmware is 7.3 6.31
Message 4 of 8
John_Ba
Luminary

One problem of adding the device to DMZ is just geting to sleep and phone pinged as scanning stack been blocked
Not sure if any way of doing anything or what they could do to a phone box but hope no more tonight!
Message 5 of 8
John_Ba
Luminary

Armer effecting internt phone use

I have a Uboss phone setup. Its never worked and running the Cisco box via DMZ made no change. I terned armer off and it worked, back on not working. How do you get it to not block an IP maddress?

Message 6 of 8
John_Ba
Luminary

An update. It occurred to me if Armor was blocking Scanning attacks it was still active on the IP address added to the DMZ so tried turning it off. The problem went. I am running more tests as the problem isn’t constant, calls when connected are Ok and clearly when its down not!

I take it Netgear servers are partly down as the support one isn’t responding. But I can find no way of getting the Armor installed on the Orbi to ignore an IP address indeed just found lots of compliance  of not being able to do anything to it over the years. If tests keep showing that’s the problem I will be left with the choise of Armor or phone.

Message 7 of 8
John_Ba
Luminary

Armor sub if foced to change routers

I currently have a set of near new Orbi 850’s. These have been no problem until we changed from a land line telephone to VoIP. There were immediate problems, calls not connecting and  unable to dial them which was due to the connection cycling every 60 seconds. After nearly 4 weeks of getting nowhere with Netgear support  and having done a total factory reset and no change I am changing them for a different make that my ISP says work with VoIP.

Nowhere does this leave me with Armor, as usual when I asked support I got no response on this.  My subscription is until December and fallowing an offer is much cheaper than one with Bitdefender if renewed then!

Clearly its wouldn’t have anything on the router but would it still keep working on the other installs?

As an aside Bitdefender support were actually doing something and got me to do a set of debug logs something Netgear support never did they just kept avoiding actually looking at the problem for 4 weeks! But by then I had eliminated Armor by disabling it and was still geting the cycling.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series