Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Anyone seeing internet connection drops with Armor enabled?

dirceuguerra
Aspirant

I have been using orbi (rbk50) with Armor activated for almost 6 months and had never experienced any kind of connection problem. but since yesterday, I have noticed a certain limitation in navigation. some websites take a long time to load. photos and videos, practically do not open. the bank app does not load or log in, the same with skype. When I disabled Armor everything was back to normal. the firmware is up to date and it was a totally random problem. I do not know what to do.
Message 26 of 54
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Community Users, 

For those still experiencing issues with their Orbi system, may you confirm whether you still have Armor enabled or not. If you do/do not have Armor enabled and still are having issues, please send me a message with your serial number and contact info. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 27 of 54
dirceuguerra
Aspirant

is disabled and working perfectly. But shouldn't we expect it to work properly with active Armor?
Message 28 of 54
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi dirceuguerra, 

Absolutely! It is expected that Armor supported routers are functioning properly. 

Christian 

Message 29 of 54
dirceuguerra
Aspirant

and to make matters worse, it is not a free service. I paid and I can't use it because it limits my internet. frustrating.
Message 30 of 54
jjvoliver
Apprentice

That's why I decided to go a more efficient, segregated way to finally have my network setup and secure the way I wanted.
As you'll see in my first post, I already have a Cujo firewall, a Fing Box, and my mesh system. So, switched to an Amplifi HD system, and am now a happy camper. My RBK53 is going on eBay soon.

Good luck with this guy's, seems like you'll need it.
Message 31 of 54
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello dirceuguerra, 

I can assist with support reaching out to you for further investigation. If interested, please send me a private message with your contact info and serial number. In the meantime, may you let us know the current firmware version your Orbi units are on. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 32 of 54
TechGuru1986
Initiate

I had the same drop connection issues as you did. At first, I thought that Netgear Armour would be a nice and effective network protection for my home network and smart devices as well as for all my PCs and tablets. I activated the Armor two times and immediately after the activation, I began to experience wifi disconnection from phones and tablets frequently without warning. My PC which was wired connected to the router directly with an ethernet cable also lost its connection and so did  the internet. I reset the Orbi and again activated Armor one more time and the drop in wifi and wired connection happened again including my main PC. What puzzling me was that there was no explanation whatsoever as to what caused the problem. Finally, I gave up activating Netgear Armor and just used Mcafee Internet Security on my PCs and tablets and the internet and the connection worked perfectly with no issues. I can not survive on an unstable internet connection like that. Hopefully, the Netgear community could find a solution to this.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 33 of 54
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello TechGuru1986, 

Thanks for sharing your experience. If you're interested, we'd be glad to work with you on the issue(s) your reporting. If so, please send me a private message with your contact info and serial number. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 34 of 54
Rsnauert
Aspirant

Any resolution to these problems?  I am in the same boat as the OP and have disabled Netgear Armor in order to get back to a stable connection.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 35 of 54
dirceuguerra
Aspirant

no news. in fact, I was having so many problems with disconnection and instability with some IoT in my house that it drove me crazy.

I had to disable router mode and go back to AP mode. And incredibly everything was back to normal. Frustrated because I would like to use Orbi in router mode and enjoy the security of Armor.
Message 36 of 54
HarryGh
Guide

Had many problems dropping connection. Verified that WAN was operating well.  Finally turned the Netgear Armor off. Performance is close to normal now.

@mgdurand1 wrote:

I installed Armor on my 2 1/2 year old Orbi and started having internet drops once I streamed content on my TV.  I had the same issue when I thought I had removed Armor but apparnetly I had not.  I figured I'd need a new router soon anyway, so I bought a replacement RBR50 and it set up fine.  Then it dropped internet again.  I did a factory reset and have not yet added Armor back in (I had purchased a year subscription).  I have also had no internet drops.  I want to add Armor back in but am a bit gunshy given the experience of the past week.  I will likely do so soon, but am interested if I am the only one experiencing the internet drops with streaming or otherwise.  Thanks.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 37 of 54
kdharris64
Aspirant

Same issue with my R6700v3 router.  With working from home and having to connect to my company's VPN, it was dropping the connection every few minutes.  I finally had to just disconnect the router altogether and wire my work laptop directly to the modem until I figured it out.

I reset to factory settings and did not re-install Armor.  No problems.   I like the concept, but it definitely wasn't stable enough to release.

I hope I can get my money back!   Hopefully they will resolve the issues with Armor and i will give it another try...someday...

Kelly

Message 38 of 54
HarryGh
Guide

Had the same problem. Had to constantly reset it.

Will not be using armor anymore. It is a good idea executed poorly.
Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 39 of 54
WinterMute
Star

I have just started a thread asking for simple features that would allow us the ability to see and address whatever is causing the dropouts.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/Interacting-with-Armor-once-it-s-enabled/td-p/1955263

I'm hoping that leads to a generally productive discussion to help people like us who are reporting our issues, sometimes getting a prompt to engage tech support, but otherwise having to completely walk away from Armor or from our hardware altogether.

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 40 of 54
gustavlund
Tutor

@Christian_R Having the same issue as everyone else in this thread. Internet drop outs when Netgear Armor is activated. Shoud I send yo a message with my contact details and serial number as well so you cane make some analysis? Right now Netgear Armor is useless for me and it is very annoying having paid an expensive subrciption for something that hasn't worked for a year now.

Regards

gustavlund

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 41 of 54
WinterMute
Star

Just an update: my Armor experience didn't go well and I'm done with it.  @Christian_R I have posted detailed feedback in the appropriate thread here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/Share-Your-NETGEAR-Armor-Experience/m-p/1863299/highl...

Best of luck to those continuing to work with Armor.

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 42 of 54
PhilipJA
Tutor

Had Same problem with dropping internet..

Solution: Disabled ARMOR.. works fine now.

Message 43 of 54
LloydG
Aspirant

There's definitely an issue with Netgear Armour. I'm not technically minded enough to know the problem, but streaming services are certainly an issue. Tried downloading Prime for Google TV on chromecast today, wasn't having it. Knew something was up when I created a hotspot via the phone as WiFi and downloading it worked via that. Then went back into the app after reconnecting it to the orbi and it worked for approx 1 minute. Kept crashing and buffering constantly...then turned off Armour and bingo, Prime started to stream without issues. Maybe it creates a firewall or something and some apps just don't get on with it??
Message 44 of 54
mgdurand1
Luminary

Tried to use Armor for months.  Kept dropping conneciton no matter what I did.  Finially disabled it, got a refund (I had purchased the service) and never looked back.  Problems disappeared and never came back.  Armor is definately not ready for prime time.

Message 45 of 54
jmorris1747
Aspirant

The same intemittent Network drops and the only fix is to reset the router. I finally disabled the the Armor on my router and have not had anymore issues. 

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 46 of 54
ShawnKR
Initiate

I'm having the same issue.  Sadly, I just purchased the Armor.  Ever since it has been activated I've been having problems with Internet connectivity.  Oddly, my VOIP phone and email still work, just not the internet. Well, my TIVO minis lose connection to the main TIVO as well. Rebooting the router has been the only solution. I've turned off Armor to see if that fixes the problem.  

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 47 of 54
PhilipJA
Tutor

Easy fix: just disable Armor and problem goes away.

Not the correct fix of course but until they fix Armor......

Message 48 of 54
jmorris1747
Aspirant

Yep...thats what I did to get it to work....I was rebooting the router daily until I disabled Armor....needs work not ready for release.

Message 49 of 54
ShawnKR
Initiate

@jmorris1747 wrote:

Yep...thats what I did to get it to work....I was rebooting the router daily until I disabled Armor....needs work not ready for release.

Hard to believe they have not addressed this problem since this thread is already 2 years old.  If they have a problem like this it makes me wonder how effective their software is.  

Message 50 of 54
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7