Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Armor Blocking Sites - How to Unblock?

mimsOrbi
Follower

Armor Blocking Sites - How to Unblock?

How do you allow specific sites that Netgear Armor is blocking?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 19
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @mimsOrbi, welcome to the community! You can check the link below to submit the URL/site to Bitdefender.

https://www.bitdefender.com/submit/

Dexter

Message 2 of 19
Chris96
Tutor

Had to uninstall Armor on my desktop, as all https-sites were blocked somehow. No easy and quick way to get those sites working. Very disappointed.I installed Armor on my iPhone; no problems there.

Message 3 of 19
Orbi-Roc
Luminary

The problem with this @DexterJB is that the user simple DOESN'T KNOW on which foot to dance. ARMOR/BitDefender is blocking the sites. Would it not be up to them to tell the user why it's being blocked with some form of documentation? I had a similar situation with the bank I deal with and could ever get a straight answer from anyone. To simply ask the user to whitelist the site is NOT a solution, since the user is uneasy about making that choice. What is that URL is a deceitful URL masking its true identiy?

To simply ask users to whitelist those ALERTS is a copout! Sorry!

Message 4 of 19
pizza_pablo
Apprentice

I would be satisfied it I could unblock a site, but I see no place to do that , in router security settings. I see where to block a site, but no where to list sites to allow.

I reckon the next step is to find out how to disable Netgear Armor.

Message 5 of 19
Orbi-Roc
Luminary

Hi @pizza_pablo . You can unblock a specific site by submitting it to Bitdefender. @DexterJB included a link to the web site in an earlier post. I am still a little uneasy about this, because the user is left with the decision to un-block a site which, by all appearance, is legit. But then again, that's all malware tricks users. So for me, a nice improvement would be for Bitdefender to add to include notes when it choses to block a site to explain WHY it chosed to do so. I've had web sites rejected too; and when I checked with BD, the answer was:"Do you think it should be whitelisted?" thus again squarely throwing the ball back to the user -- why not tell the user exactly WHY THEY ARE BLOCKING the sites?

Message 6 of 19
pizza_pablo
Apprentice

I don't understand why I should have to ask a software provider for permission to open a web site of my choosing.
I could understand a warning, before proceeding, but an outright denial is unreasonable. It's MY machine! It's MY PERSONALLY OWNED, home device!
It's NOT like I'm using a computer that belongs to my employer or somewhere else and THEIR software doesn't want me to go to a particular web site.
Message 7 of 19
bschroader
Tutor

I followed this link over a week ago (supposed to resolve inside of 72hrs) and the site my wife uses from her own employer still being blocked.  This is inhibiting her ability to work and worse, I can't even find a way of simply disabling so she can work.

Very frustrating.  She's about to kill me for ever having put this on our router.

Message 8 of 19
bschroader
Tutor

This is what my wife is complaining to me about.  I'm having to defend bitfinder's practices to her and I don't even agree with them.  Just that it's beyond my control.  This effects her work and is very harmful to Bitfinder/Orbi's customers.

Message 9 of 19
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @bschroader, we recommend checking back with Bitdefender on the request to whitelist the site. As for disabling Armor, you can check the link below for the steps until you get confirmation that the site has been whitelisted. Please let us know how it goes.

https://kb.netgear.com/000060900/How-do-I-turn-NETGEAR-Armor-on-or-off-using-the-Nighthawk-or-Orbi-a...

Dexter

Message 10 of 19
bschroader
Tutor

@DexterJB wrote:

Hi @bschroader, we recommend checking back with Bitdefender on the request to whitelist the site. As for disabling Armor, you can check the link below for the steps until you get confirmation that the site has been whitelisted. Please let us know how it goes.

https://kb.netgear.com/000060900/How-do-I-turn-NETGEAR-Armor-on-or-off-using-the-Nighthawk-or-Orbi-a...

Dexter

Thanks for that link.  Before I proceeded to take those steps, it turns out that this may have been more on me than Bitfinder.  I just went to the site that was problematic and I'm getting in now with no blocks.  It turned out that I didn't pay attention to the fact that it was redirecting and I unwittingly provided the wrong URL.  I resubmitted the correct URL that bitfinder was blocking and just checked and it appears to have been whitelisted.  My wife is happy again!

Thanks again for replying to my concerns.  The process of simply disabling Netgear Armor was really alluding me.

Message 11 of 19
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @bschroader, thanks for providing an update and we're glad that that's all sorted out now. Let us know what you think of Armor and please don't hesitate to ask us if you have any questions.

Dexter

Message 12 of 19
Chris96
Tutor

It has been a while, and Bifdefender simply hasn't resolved this: I installed it again on my desktop to see whether improvements had been made: both my work account and my wife's work account are blocked; my company's ERP-website is blocked; my children's school's website is blocked; etc. etc. etc. It may or may not be the case that you can "submit" websites for white-listing, but given the scope applied, I would have to hire someone to make the requests. It's like the ultimate security device on your car: the one that doesn't allow you to drive.

This is simply the worst tool I have ever encountered. Money not well spent...

Message 13 of 19
pizza_pablo
Apprentice

@Chris96 , Can you get to the work and school sites if you turn Armor off?
Message 14 of 19
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi all, for a more detailed description/reason why the sites are being blocked as well as requesting to have it unblocked, it is best to reach out to Bitdefender via their support channels below. Rest assured, your feedback is taken note of and will be passed along to the team.

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

Dexter

Message 15 of 19
pizza_pablo
Apprentice

@dexter won't turning Armor off, in the smartphone app allow free passage to any web site?
Message 16 of 19
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @pizza_pablo, you should not get any prompt that a site has been blocked by Armor if you have the feature turned off. Are you still experiencing the issue?

Dexter

Message 17 of 19
pizza_pablo
Apprentice

@DexterJB by "should not get any prompt that a site has been blocked by Armor if you have the feature turned off" do you mean that sites will no longer be blocked or that there will be no notice when sites are blocked?
My thermostat cannot get to its Ecobee web site. I am unsure if this is an Armor or Ecobee fault.
My issue is with this Armor blocking sites and having no work around. I also don't like that once I opt in, they're is no way to get rid of it.
Message 18 of 19
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @pizza_pablo, Armor should no longer block any websites if it is turned off. I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Dexter

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7