Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Armor Blocking Sites - How to Unblock?

davidSo
Tutor

Considering this Armor software has not been fixed to whitelist sites, what is the preferred method for router security?

Message 26 of 60
kevmann71
Initiate

@hjk_plm wrote:

Unblock feature will be added soon. NETGEAR team is working on it.

This comment promising a whitelist feature is almost 4 months old, addressing a customer complaint that's ~10 months old, and still no whitelisting feature.

HOW is this taking so long?

Please provide eta on adding whitelisting feature.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 27 of 60
Kris_
Aspirant

I'm also waiting for a whitelist feature. Sites are blocked immediately when reported, unblocking is not possible (even after several weeks). Please Netgear: give us a solution!

Message 28 of 60
davidSo
Tutor

i figured out a solution. Not to buy netgear products any longer. 

Message 29 of 60
homenetter
Aspirant

I am coming to the same solution.  I purcahsed two Netgear routers in the past year and both have not been good.  Netgear's response and support is also terrible.

Message 30 of 60
klarnar
Aspirant

I disappointed with the Netgear Armor functionality and service. Also, I would like to add that my previous experience with McAfee livesafe was much better than with BitDefender.

Message 31 of 60
rinthos
Luminary

@Kris_ wrote:

I'm also waiting for a whitelist feature. Sites are blocked immediately when reported, unblocking is not possible (even after several weeks). Please Netgear: give us a solution!

Just saw this appear in the Android app today...looks like they are close to releasing Unblock/whitelisting functionality....Not seeing it in the Web just yet.

screenshot-unblock.jpg

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 32 of 60
homenetter
Aspirant

What exactly did you see?  Please clarify.  Thanks!

Regards,

@rinthos wrote:

@Kris_ wrote:

Just saw this appear in the Android app today...looks like they are close to releasing Unblock/whitelisting functionality....Not seeing it in the Web just yet.

screenshot-unblock.jpg

Raghu

Message 33 of 60
rinthos
Luminary

Not sure why it doesn't show the attachment, but a screen on the mobile app. When pressing on a blocked URL it brings me to a screen that shows an Unblock option.  Was not there before..

Let me try to show the image again... View the JPG image I attached to this post.

Message 34 of 60
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello rinthos, 

We have released a KB article regarding this feature which I've linked below. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000061715/How-do-I-unblock-URLS-in-NETGEAR-Armor

Christian 

Message 35 of 60
homenetter
Aspirant

Thanks rinthos for trying to share the information.  What is the name of the app?  Is an iOS version availbale?  Is the app for managing the router or in addition to the Nighthawk app?

Thanks!

Raghu

Message 36 of 60
rinthos
Luminary

@homenetter wrote:

Thanks rinthos for trying to share the information.  What is the name of the app?  Is an iOS version availbale?  Is the app for managing the router or in addition to the Nighthawk app?

Thanks!

Raghu

It's the Nighthawk app. After logging in choose the "Security" button to get to the Armor settings. Then if you have a vulnerability or blocked event you can click on the total number and it shows you that piece.

Link to image in my post: 

Message 37 of 60
rinthos
Luminary

@Christian_R wrote:

Hello rinthos, 

We have released a KB article regarding this feature which I've linked below. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000061715/How-do-I-unblock-URLS-in-NETGEAR-Armor

Christian 

Thanks @Christian_R  !!! Glad to see this finally start showing up. Any news regarding the Web Portal (armor.netgear.com) for this by chance? I tend to adminster more from there than the app for general screen realestate reasons..but this is an awesome step in the right direction.

Thanks.

Message 38 of 60
davidSo
Tutor

so why isnt this put out to the general community? my unit is registered. why no notice? 

Message 39 of 60
Twilight2k
Aspirant

That's great information for how to unblock a site using the mobile app.  Now, how do I unblock a site WITHOUT using the mobile app?  If you tell me that I can't then I am definitely not renewing Netgear Armour and will have to seriously consider being done with Netgear.

Also, what's wrong with the method used by other similar blocking applications?  Something along the lines of on the web page that comes up saying it is blocked, click on "advanced", click on "go to this site anyway".  If you are concerned with non-technical people doing that then make it a configurable setting.  Unless this is added, I will absolutely not be renewing Netgear Armour.

Message 40 of 60
DefectiveArgo
Aspirant

There is a 'simple' answer to this - one which any 10 year old who wants to access a website that they are told they are not allowed on will tell you about. It's not illegal but it does subvert "The Rules". And it will only work on individual machines / phones. It is to use a VPN. That is a Virtual Private Network which creates an encrypted tunnel between an individual machine / phone and the target website. This is using a sledghammer to crack a nut when really what everyone wants is the oft repeated request on this forum for a whitelisting facility in the Netgear app. However it does work around the Netgear Armor blockage and enable a user to access the website they need to as their Netgear router will not be able to read the traffic between your machine / phone and the website. If you are using a phone to do this Opera browser (and I'm not consciously promoting that particular browser, it's just that it's the only one I know which has this free facility) has a free VPN built in.

Message 41 of 60
utagol4
Tutor

Agreed. Don't buy an Orbi.

Message 42 of 60
klarnar
Aspirant

I see that they fixed it for a couple of months ago.
Message 43 of 60
Twilight2k
Aspirant

It was fixed but only within the Netgear app.  There is still no way to whitelist from within a browser.  That may be okay for those that frequently use their phones but it is extremely inconvenient when I always use my laptop for browsing - it makes no sense that I have to pull out my phone to whitelist a web site in a browser I already have open.

This is likely my last Netgear product.

Message 44 of 60
klarnar
Aspirant

Yep. I'm browsing from phone. Agree that for laptop users it's kind of inconvenience.

Message 45 of 60
rinthos
Luminary

@klarnar wrote:

Yep. I'm browsing from phone. Agree that for laptop users it's kind of inconvenience.

It looks like they're starting to add the functionality to the Armor web portal.

Currently if a blocked URL is in your alert list, you can click "allow this URL" now, before that option did not exist.  

Slowly but surely features are starting to show up...

Message 46 of 60
gmartinsen
Initiate

How did you Disable Armor?  I deleted Bitdefender from my laptop, NO LUCK?http://www.sunlakesappleclub.com

@shawn007 wrote:

DexterJB's solution is not adquate. 

Netgear Armor is falsely blocking my compay websites which I need immediate access to. It is terrible that you want us to submit the URL to get it unblock and wait days and days for them to review it. I understand we would be building their database for you, but I need to immediately access my own site. Neargear Armor on the bottom of the page says, "We suggest that you [Go back to safety]". Netgear needs to have a option to "Proceed to website." This way we can have immediate access to our websites rather than waiting days for them to review the links. Furthermore, you need to allow us to whitelist the sites immediately.  The only way I can visit my company websites is by disabling Armor, this pretty much makes Armor useless and my network vunerable to other types of attacks and popups while Armor is disabled.

If Netgear continue to block false postive websites and not give the ability to whitelist the IPs, they are loosing alot of customers. Personally, I will not renew the Armor subscription if this option is not immediately offered. 

Message 47 of 60
Throwawayyyyyy
Initiate

This is absolutely ridiculous. I am an Average Joe, not an IT admin. I need to access a site for work that (surprise!) Netgear has blocked. There is no way to unblock it without downloading an app, for some asinine, hairball, contrived reason. This is such a dumb way to go about it. Hey morons, let me unblock a site from my computer! You nincompoops.

Also, it is incredibly rude of Netgear to have known about this for a year and done jacks#!t about it.

F*** Netgear, I am never getting another router from Netgear ever again because of their incompetence and failure to help out customers. The people at Netgear should find new jobs. They are not helpful.

Message 48 of 60
winstonrh
Tutor

The function is not working in the Orbi App.  The Unblock functionality shows, and it let's me click to unblock - then confirms the unblock selection. But when I go to the UNBLOCKED tab, nothing is there.

EPIC FAIL - again.

Message 49 of 60
Sailbound88
Initiate

I have pored over this entire thread, and I'm simply amazed that there is still no fix to this issue since the thread's inception NEARLY 2 YEARS AGO where a Netgear moderator said this was an urgent priority.

Yes, I see the ability to unblock sites on the Armor app for Android - great start, Netgear, but not done yet.  Whenever I attempt to whitelist a site, I get the "unblocked successfully" message -- also really nice BUT the site remains blocked and nothing is added to the "unblocked" list no matter how many times I try.  Is this really the best Netgear can do to fix such a critical issue after two years?

This is just as useless as the legacy version of "Circle" parental controls that were advertised as included with my R7000P router yet totally useless for actual monitoring... seems that was just a ploy to push people into buying the Circle box from Disney.  in both cases, Netgear is guilty of bait-and-switch at best and fraud at worst.  To begin with, it was never made clear that Armor would be duiplicate the 2-year renewal I had already paid for with Bitdefender Total Security... that was a waste of ~$100.  Next, Circle DOES NOT WORK so I had to buy a separate product for that... now it seems I must abandon Armor for the ongoing failure of its most basic purpose: effective management of bad websites.  In the end, I've now spent more money trying to unf*ck things than I did on the router itself.  After years of loyalty, this may very well may be the last money I spend on Netgear products... again, nice work.

Message 50 of 60
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7