Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Armor support

Wxman38
Guide

Armor support

I tried to talk to someone in support about the problems their Armor program is causing some sites to not be able to connect without having to reboot the router.  Unfortunately, every time I reached someone they said they needed to get me to an 'expert' on Armor.  However, after being on hold for 50 minutes this connection never gets made.  Must be no one actually knows how Armor works.  Would like to not only disable Armor but also deactivate it in hopes that I no longer have a problem visiting internet sites.

Message 2 of 18

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Again, armor is baked into the firmware. But if something didn't get disabled properly when you turned it off, it can help. 

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 18

All Replies
Wxman38
Guide

Armor problems RAXE

Apparently there is a problem with Armor not giving some programs enough time to connect with a site on the internet.  Having using both Edge and Firefox Armor fails to connect with the site www.tvtango.com

Here's the response when the connection fails:

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the web.

The only fix for this is to reboot the router RAXE290.  After you reboot it, there is no problem connecting to tvtango.com.  However, after a short period of time possibly less than an hour you get the same message as above.  When you actually use the browser it shows the site and it uses www.google.com to search for it.

So how do I fix this without  constantly having to reboot the router??

Message 1 of 18
plemans
Guru

Message 3 of 18
Wxman38
Guide

Unfortunately, Armor doesn't show these sites are blocked.  I think the problem is that Armor takes so much time checking a site such as the Apple server, that the server just times out.  Since you have no opportunity to really change any Armor settings, then you are stuck with the problem unless you can get rid of Armor or completely bypass it.

Message 4 of 18
plemans
Guru

What device do you have? 

what firmware is on it? 

What modem/gateway is it connected to? 

Message 5 of 18
Wxman38
Guide

RAXE290  1.07.62  The modem is an ONT from Hotwire Communications.  Alcatel.  In one of the times that I actually talked to a Netgear support person they seemed to think I was using Xfinity.  From some of the other postings that I've read, they indicated that Armor uses its own dns servers and you cannot change these on your router.  What I have now is via the Nighthawk app that Armor is not enabled but it is activated.

Message 6 of 18
plemans
Guru

Did you try a factory reset? 

What ONT is it? 

Message 7 of 18
Wxman38
Guide

haven't tried a factory reset.  The modem is an Alcatel.

Message 8 of 18
plemans
Guru

Try the factory reset and just make sure not to setup armor or the free trial. 

Alcatel is a brand, not a model. Check out the label on it 

Message 9 of 18
Wxman38
Guide

This is all the info on the ONT  ALCLF3AFDBOB  PN 3FE51880AA.  When I initially installed the router, I set it up manually not via the Nighthawk app.  There was a popup for Armor, but I didn't activate it.  I changed my two dns servers to ones from Cisco.  Basically, I left all of my setup the same as I had on my RAX75 router.

With the RAXE290, I've had no problem getting to the internet.  It has given me problems using iTunes, Macrium Reflect, occasionally Windows Update, and it won't let me go to www.tvtango.com.

Message 10 of 18
plemans
Guru

do you have ipv6 enabled? 

Also, are you using icloud relay or private mac/ip address ? 

Message 11 of 18
Wxman38
Guide

I have ipv6 enabled.  I'm using a Dell XPS 8930 with Windows 11.

Message 12 of 18
Wxman38
Guide

I have ipv6 enabled.  I don't have an iCloud relay.  I'm using DHCP as far as ip address. I just had to reboot the router to get Windows Update working again.  It was giving the error that you have no internet connection.  This is the same problem I get with iTunes.  These programs indicate no internet connection despite the fact that I do still have an internet connection.

Message 13 of 18
plemans
Guru

I would try the factory reset

Message 14 of 18
Wxman38
Guide

Do you think that would get rid of Armor?

Message 15 of 18
plemans
Guru

Again, armor is baked into the firmware. But if something didn't get disabled properly when you turned it off, it can help. 

Message 16 of 18
Wxman38
Guide

Tried the factory reset today.  First thing I noticed from yesterday was the Nighthawk app kept indicating no internet connection.

After the factory reset, I ended up seeing the Nighthawk app when I tried to set up to my settings.  It doesn't give you a choice about Armor.  In order to proceed, you have to accept it.  However, after the reset, I restored my cfg file, and was back in business. 

Now when I look at the Nighthawk app on my phone it shows I have an internet connection.  It also shows Armor enabled and activated. 

At the moment iTunes and the other software problems seemed to have stopped.  However, since they used to come back after a few hours I won't know if the reset did the trick. Hopefully the reset worked.  Thanks.

Message 17 of 18
Wxman38
Guide

Actually, I was still having the problem after this.  Yesterday I talked to the tiger team at Netgear.  Found out the solution that allowed me to go to iTunes, tvtango, etc.  Logged into my RAXE290 from my browser.  Selected the Advanced tab and on the left side menu opened the Security section.  In Security I selected Block Sites and changed the selection from Always to Never and then applied the change.  Now everything works like it should.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7