Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bitdefender Total Security vs Netgear Armor

Orbi-Roc
Luminary

Bitdefender Total Security vs Netgear Armor

In this link https://kb.netgear.com/000059440/What-is-the-NETGEAR-Armor-Bitdefender-Total-Security-feature, it says that Bitdefender Total Security features the following:

• Anti-ransom software,
  • WiFi Security Advisor,
  • Firewall,
  • and Advanced Threat Defense.

In this link https://kb.netgear.com/000059435/What-features-does-NETGEAR-Armor-offer, it says that Netgear Armor features:

• Network Assessment Vulnerability,
  • End Point Device Protection,
  • Automatic Security Updates,
  • and Device Detection and Management.

Question: If I only have Netgear Armor installed on my Orbi router and nothing else, are all my devices, WHILE CONNECTED TO THE ORBI ROUTER, still protected for the very same features as I would otherwise with Bitdefender Total Security installed on specific devices, namely: Anti-ransom software, WiFi Security Advisor, Firewall, and Advanced Threat Defense.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Orbi-Roc
Luminary

Re: Bitdefender Total Security vs Netgear Armor

Good day @schumaku and thank you so much for the prompt response to my post. But I am still not all that clear on (A) Netgear Armor alone vs. (B) Netgear Armor + Bitdefender Total Security, when dealing with iOS, OSX, Windows and Android devices when connected to the Orbi router.

What features does (B) offer that I don't get in (A)?

For example, both my wife and I have MacBook Pros running the latest OS X version. We do not have Bitdefender Total Security installed; and yet, Netgear Armor caught a physing URL on my wife's MacBook. So Netgear Armor, on its own, does protect. What I have yet to understand is what exactly does it do; and what additional protection, if any, do I get by installing Bitdefender Total Security (while devices are connected to the network via the Orbi router)?

If Netgear Armor blocks ALL incoming threats and performs a bona fide vulnerability assessment on the Netgear router, then what is the value-added of installing Bitdefender Total Security on devices that will only be used on the Orbi WiFi network?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@Orbi-Roc wrote:

If I only have Netgear Armor installed on my Orbi router and nothing else, are all my devices, WHILE CONNECTED TO THE ORBI ROUTER, still protected for the very same features as I would otherwise with Bitdefender Total Security installed on specific devices, namely: Anti-ransom software, WiFi Security Advisor, Firewall, and Advanced Threat Defense.

No, of course not - simply not possible. Netgear Armor does include Bitdefender Total Security licenses (unlimited, fair use policy) - so it requires the installation of course.

FMI: How is my NETGEAR Armor subscription different from the Bitdefender Total Security 2019 subscription...

One point ... The "Devices: Smart home devices (WiFi Security cameras, Range Extenders, Smart Lights)" is a little bit to much marketing - there are no Bitdefender Total Security clients for these devices.

Message 2 of 7
Orbi-Roc
Luminary

Good day @schumaku and thank you so much for the prompt response to my post. But I am still not all that clear on (A) Netgear Armor alone vs. (B) Netgear Armor + Bitdefender Total Security, when dealing with iOS, OSX, Windows and Android devices when connected to the Orbi router.

What features does (B) offer that I don't get in (A)?

For example, both my wife and I have MacBook Pros running the latest OS X version. We do not have Bitdefender Total Security installed; and yet, Netgear Armor caught a physing URL on my wife's MacBook. So Netgear Armor, on its own, does protect. What I have yet to understand is what exactly does it do; and what additional protection, if any, do I get by installing Bitdefender Total Security (while devices are connected to the network via the Orbi router)?

If Netgear Armor blocks ALL incoming threats and performs a bona fide vulnerability assessment on the Netgear router, then what is the value-added of installing Bitdefender Total Security on devices that will only be used on the Orbi WiFi network?

Message 3 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Unless it's a plain text (http) communication, the software running on the router (as part of the Netgear Armor offering, also provided by Bitdefender), will only be able to detect the DNS domain lookup (name -> IP address) and/or the communication with an IP address known to be used for phishing.

For anything beyond, there is no other way but the deployment the Bitdefender software to all clients.

Message 4 of 7
Orbi-Roc
Luminary

Thanks again @schumaku !

What we're missing in the link you gave me in your earlier post is a fourth column in that table showing the features available for Netgear Armor alone, without Bitdefender Total Security enabled. That would make it crystal clear.

Message 5 of 7
Orbi-Roc
Luminary

I don't know what went wrong here @schumaku but I did mark your last message as the solution ... and the system gave it to me instead. Perhaps a moderator will find a way to correct this. This is the solutiion:

Unless it's a plain text (http) communication, the software running on the router (as part of the Netgear Armor offering, also provided by Bitdefender), will only be able to detect the DNS domain lookup (name -> IP address) and/or the communication with an IP address known to be used for phishing.

For anything beyond, there is no other way but the deployment the Bitdefender software to all clients.
Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

No problem with that, @Orbi-Roc  ... no KPI points required, I'm not Netgear 8-)

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7