Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Check your Smart Home Devices For Vulnerabilities with NETGEAR Armor - Blog

Dustin_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Check your Smart Home Devices For Vulnerabilities with NETGEAR Armor - Blog

Cyber Threat.jpg

With more and more Internet-of-Things (IoT) devices entering our homes, it’s becoming imperative that we are aware of any potential vulnerabilities. Devices that may seem harmless, like baby monitors, security cameras, or routers, can actually reveal private data if compromised by a cybercriminal. Furthermore, if you’re an owner of a hacked smart device, you are not the only one at risk. Armies of compromised devices, or botnets, can actually be used to deploy DDoS attacks. With the number of IoT devices today expected to grow 2.6X in 2020, security should be a big concern, especially with devices like smart thermostats, smart plugs, smart speakers, smart locks becoming prevalent in modern homes. This is where NETGEAR Armor comes in play.

With NETGEAR Armor, a Vulnerability Assessment runs weekly on devices connected to your network to identify any possible misconfiguration or flaws. Additional checks look at open services (SSH, Telnet), default credentials, and weak passwords. Armor’s Vulnerability Assessment doesn’t end at identifying flaws. It also includes Bitdefender research into all issues affecting IoT devices discovered through manual inspection of the firmware, cloud-based components, and web apps, ultimately giving you a 360° view of the device’s security state, and flags specific vulnerabilities.

To learn more about Armor’s Vulnerability Assessment feature, read the full Blog here.

For more information about NETGEAR Armor, click here

Message 1 of 2
Orbi-Roc
Luminary

Re: Check your Smart Home Devices For Vulnerabilities with NETGEAR Armor - Blog

My printer is a smart home device. I can print from any computer in the house and get my print on my printer. And yet, even thought that printer is available to anyone allowed on my network, it is nowhere to be seen on the Network map; and of course it has never been scanned.

Moreover, I have to Windows 10 computers, a desktop and a laptop. When I was first introducted to armor, I activated BD Total Security on both of them; only to remove shortly thereafter because the experience was a total fiasco. Guess what? Both these computers have never been through a Vulnerability Scan. But why? Well, I think it's because Netgear, in cooperation with BD, wants me to activate BD Total Security. But I will not, never will, because it BD Total Security gives me headaches and heartburns.

Notwithstanding, I have been running Armor as a stand-alone app on my Orbi network for a bit over two months now; and I must say that Armor, without BD Total Security, works VERY WELL INDEED, as long as you're connected to your network.

When moving away from the network, then of course people might have to shop to similar coverage; and while BD Total Security is obviously on options, there are also may other options out there For me, unfortunately, BD failed on both MACs and Windows PCs. It was not a total failure, far from it; but the annoyances and system slowdowns were more than I could take, expecially on the MACs.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7