Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Disable Armor - Causes printer time print

Louiem
Aspirant

Disable Armor - Causes printer time print

Somehow I accidentally tuned on this Armor. It now causes my printer to print showing port 9100 open. I tried click disable in app, the slider shows off but app says Activated still.
Firmware is 2.3.2.5.26
Do I need to update? If so how also? I need stop this ghost printing.
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch. Walk thru the setup wizard and after it complete, don't enable Armor. 

There is newer v16 fw availalbe if you choose to update the system yourself:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

Message 2 of 26
Louiem
Aspirant

Factory reset?? Ouch.
I have RBR20 so v16 I don’t see for my model.
Isn’t there auto way to update firmware?
Message 3 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

The link I posted is also for your RBR20. RBK20 included the RBR20. 

Message 4 of 26
Louiem
Aspirant

So how can I get it to update firmware auto?
I don’t want reset as Best Buy set this mesh up and I’m not tech guru.
Only firmware update I hope helps. Thx sir
Message 5 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend avoiding the auto update FW section of the router. Many posters have had problems with this feature and is not stable to use. Seems to break systems or causes problems more than anything else.

First manually download the RBS and RBR FW files from the link provided.

Unpack the FW from the .zip files.

Use a wired PC for this process. Safari(Mac), IE11, Firefox or Opera browsers are recommended.

Then send the RBR FW file lastly.

Factory reset the RBS and RBR and setup from scratch. After makeing sure the system works after setting up, be sure to make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. This saves time if a reset is needed again.

Message 6 of 26
Louiem
Aspirant

Thanks!
Two things.
1. PC wired via cat 5 into orbi main mesh?
2. Do you HAVE to factory reset at the end?
I’m not sure how Best Buy configured it initially.
Message 7 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

YOu can connecct to the RBS wired with a laptop or PC first if you want to send the FW using the RBS web page. Or Yes, connect to main RBR and update the RBS then RBR there thru the RBS FW update page. Select the manual tab. 

Yes, since you need to get Armor disabled, the RBR needs to be reset. Reset the RBS as well to ensure good operation when it gets setup.

Walk thru the installation guide or user manual for setup and installation instructions. The setup wizard is a good place to start after you reset the RBR. 

There are higher problems with using Auto updates. HIstorical posts reveal that users who have used the auto update feature, ran into problems with there system after using the auto update feature. Users with manual updates by applying FW files works to resolve this. 

Message 8 of 26
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Louiem wrote:
So how can I get it to update firmware auto?
I don’t want reset as Best Buy set this mesh up and I’m not tech guru.
Only firmware update I hope helps. Thx sir

login to your orbi at the web.....auto update on right.

auto update is your best option.   stop performing manual updates

Message 9 of 26
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I recommend avoiding the auto update FW section of the router. Many posters have had problems with this feature and is not stable to use. Seems to break systems or causes problems more than anything else.

you're confusing manual updates with auto updates. The higher percentage of problems occur with manual updates.  Do a search.  It's all over this ciommunity.

Message 10 of 26
Louiem
Aspirant

So don’t do auto updates?
I figured that was easier.
Message 11 of 26
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Louiem wrote:

no...don't do manual updates...unless you want to test the firmware and possibly end up with problems.  Once you system is stable leave it alone

Message 12 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend doing the manual update. Just download the files you need and apply them. This will ensure the RBS and RBR are updated correctly. Updating will get you to the latest stable FW version. Once there there. don't enable Armor. Be sure to make a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR20-RBS20-2-5-1-16-firmware-observations/m-p/1897766/highlig...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RSR50-firmware-2-5-1-16/m-p/1903734/highlight/true#M90556

@Louiem wrote:

Message 13 of 26
Retired_Member
Not applicable

why would anyone do a manual update IF the system is working?

Message 14 of 26
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Updating will get you to the latest stable FW version.

Stable?

Message 15 of 26
CrimpOn
Guru

The post topic relates to Bitdefender Armor forcing printers to spit out three pages every time that Armor does a scan and people being unable to get Armor to stop, correct?  My recollection is that no one has yet found a setting or parameter in Armor to make the printing stop, correct?  Then the choices seem to be (a) keep Armor and have three pages (a week?) to use for scratch paper, or (b) remove Armor.

I thought there were two methods for getting rid of Armor:

• Set the Orbi up again and very carefully elect not to activate Armor, or
  • Use the Orbi "app" to deactivate Armor.

I have seen no posts that the unwanted Armor behavior has been affected by the new firmware release, so discussions about methods of updating, or desirability of updating would seem to be extraneous to the discussion topic.

I rather enjoy setting up my Orbi, but I can see how many would rather "do almost anything else".  Perhaps the "app" method would work for them?

Message 16 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

The OP mentioned that they used the app to disable Armor and the printer was still getting print problems. So a reset should fix this. Even after a FW update. 

Message 17 of 26
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@CrimpOn wrote:
  •  

I have seen no posts that the unwanted Armor behavior has been affected by the new firmware release, so discussions about methods of updating, or desirability of updating would seem to be extraneous to the discussion topic.

so to be clear as to how the firmware update were administered.  Manual or auto?  ...and if the user had Armour problems before the last manual update which did fix their problem, well good on 'em. 

My positions has always been, if your system works (to include Armou or you don't use Armour) then there is no need for a manual update.

Message 18 of 26
CrimpOn
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

The OP mentioned that they used the app to disable Armor and the printer was still getting print problems. So a reset should fix this. Even after a FW update. 

Sorry, I missed that.  "My Bad"  An interesting finding that despite being deactivated, Armor continues to run? Hmmm.

Message 19 of 26
Louiem
Aspirant

Agree. I just want dang armor to stop printing crap to my printer
So I wanted it off.
What’s weird is in the app it says disabled but photo before u go in shows activated still.
Message 20 of 26
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Louiem wrote:
So I wanted it off.
What’s weird is in the app it says disabled but photo before u go in shows activated still.

isn't Armor something you have to select, as in I want it and isn't it something you have to pay for, with a 30 day free trial?  If so, perhaps the 30 day is coded in since money is involved.  

But like what's already been suggested .....login to your pc/orbi and try to unselect it there with a reset? don't use the app

Message 21 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya seems to be still runing the background. So doing a reset on the RBR and walking thru the setup wizard and this time, don't enable Armor should fix this. 

@Louiem wrote:
So I wanted it off.

Message 22 of 26
Louiem
Aspirant

Again
To reset to factory is issue. I have main RB then two satellites
And actually Best Buy set it up
So I don’t know the config
If I reset
I’ll be scrambling to figure out how to reconnect whole system
Message 23 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to review the installation guide and user manuals that have installation setup information. 

A reset is needed unfortunatley to get rid of the Armor running in the background. 

Contact Best Buy to see if they can help you if you think you need there help with the reset and setup with out Armor. Or ask a friend, family member or neighbor that may have some experince with setting up routers. 

@Louiem wrote:
Again
To reset to factory is issue. I have main RB then two satellites
And actually Best Buy set it up
So I don’t know the config
If I reset
I’ll be scrambling to figure out how to reconnect whole system

Message 24 of 26
DougB628
Apprentice

Why is it that we consider telling people to factory reset their router, causing them to have to reconfigure everything, as an acceptible thing for people to have to do? Depending on the complexity of their setup, this can take hours. Come on people, it's 2020, we should expect more of the router manufacturers by now. I have figured out ways of dealing with this, but I work in the software industry, and understand things like grep, sed, scripting, and using ssh to connect to my Orbi. The average user doesn't. Granted, there's a large group of very novice users that can probably use the default settings for everything, so telling them to reset isn't so bad.  But telling someone who knows enough to want to use static IP's with DHCP reservations because the devices don't provide static IP configs to factory reset their router is telling them to commit to an hour or more of manually reconfiguring all of those DHCP reservations. And its not like the interactive UI's are exactly "snappy".

I know there's really no point to this rant, considering that anyone who could actually do anything about it will probably never see this. But if more of us customers started demanding more, some changes might start to happen. What's interesting is that it will only take one company to start doing it, and initially they will see their business grow fast, then the rest of the companies won't have a choice - if they want to compete, they have to be on the same playing field.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7