Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Disable or remove Bitdefender

nishgabas
Follower

Disable or remove Bitdefender

Armor Bitdefender is driving me crazy. Netgear doesn't support the software. You have to talk to Armor Bitdefender Support (Chinese, no understand English). Totally frustrated. There seems to be no way to delete or disable this POS. It runs checks on my Windows 8 desktop lasting hours right after Microsoft antimalware takes computer captive for hours.

Bitdefender interferes with my normal web activity, denying access to my favorite forums saying "dangerous" witth no ability to override. Welcome to Chinese Internet. I have no idea what information is being collected and reported on my equipment and activities. I immediately requested stop to automatic annual subscription renewal. But with first year "free", cannot remove or disable.

Why would Netgear partner with Chinese to surveil user activity? This is nuts. I just bought RAX1200 and really regretting it. Have had Netgear routers and cable modems for decades. But this Bitdefender crap means I will never buy another Netgear device.

Installed Startthings Hub and Alexa and nosy Bitdefender reports it noticed installation of new devices on network. DUH. What I intentionally did.

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Message 2 of 6
Wxman38
Guide

That doesn't really disable it. 

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

The basics of it are built into the firmware. You can't fully remove it. All you can do is disable it. 

If you think its still running, try a factory reset. 

Message 4 of 6
Wxman38
Guide

Does a factory  reset actually take you back to a point that it doesn't exist?

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

What device do you have it on? 

Like I said, its baked into the firmware. the only way to get rid of it entirely would be to downgrade to a version prior to armor (if there is one) or to switch to a 3rd party firmware. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7