Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Forced Netgear Armor trial.

johnw1ck
Tutor

Forced Netgear Armor trial.

Latest Nighthawk update forces the end user to agree to a 30-day free Netgear Armor trial in order to activate and keep using the app. I do not want a free trial, I do not want Armor. I do not want to be thrown into a subscription after the 30-days are up. Such a scumbag move. And the way you went about it is pathetic. "We will install". No you won't. Update the app without the forced trial or I will delete. If you don't care, either do I.

unnamed.jpg

Message 1 of 21
plemans
Guru

I've not gotten the forced install option on mine. But I did install using the browser and  declined the armor trial through the browser. 

did you try that? 

Message 2 of 21
johnw1ck
Tutor

In order to activate and use the Nighthawk app. after the latest app update, you have to agree to the Armor install or you can't activate and use it. So, unless you want to sign-in via browser for everything, you have to install Armor to use the app. 

Message 3 of 21
plemans
Guru

the actual armor is built into the firmware. You can enable it to get it activated and then just de-activate it. 

Message 4 of 21
johnw1ck
Tutor

I dont want to enable it or want it at all. I just want to be able to use the app to control my router, like I have been for years, and not forced into a 30-day trial in order to even open the app. It's BS. 

Message 5 of 21
Topology
Virtuoso

@johnw1ck – I am also seeing the same screen when launching the Nighthawk app on an iPhone 13 Pro (iOS 15.3.1), which requires a user’s consent to start a NETGEAR Armor trial subscription as a prerequisite to using the app. This is disappointing, and I hope that NETGEAR soon remedies the situation.

What is perhaps even more concerning is the statement “NETGEAR collects analytics data," which may imply that NETGEAR additionally requires a user to accept their Analytics Data Policy as a precondition to using the Nighthawk app. Perhaps customers who have chosen to opt-out of the Analytics Data Policy may no longer be able use the Nighthawk app, unless they reverse their decision and opt-in to that policy?

Message 6 of 21

@plemans wrote:

But I did install using the browser and  declined the armor trial through the browser. 

How do you install an app using the browser?

I have to do it on the device itself.

Message 7 of 21

@johnw1ck wrote:

Latest Nighthawk update forces the end user to agree to a 30-day free Netgear Armor trial in order to activate and keep using the app.

No sign of that here with Android V2.15.0.2081.

Which version? Android? iOS?

Two routers,R7800 and R7000P.

Message 8 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

I was also met with this today when trying to connect to my Orbi 9 series from work on the Orbi app. Also can't get the app to connect remotely. 

IMG_0853.PNG

I've passed this on to NG for review. 

Message 9 of 21
Dd852
Luminary

Many thanks - I've also written to the "netgear team" email address to express my displeasure

Message 10 of 21
Dd852
Luminary

Netgear sent me a form to opt out of tracking (really this is opposit of the way it should work) which i filled in and they accepted (very kind of them).

But the armor nonsense remains so I haven't used the app again.

Message 11 of 21
Topology
Virtuoso

The Nighthawk app updated to version 2.15.1.2 this morning on my iPhone 13 Pro (iOS 15.4) – and, unfortunately, the initial screen requiring installation of “your free 30-day NETGEAR Armor trial” remains.

Apparently, NETGEAR will not allow individuals access to the Nighthawk app without first having initiated a trial of Armor. In addition, the comment on that screen that “NETGEAR collects analytics data” may imply that an opt-out from the Analytics Data Policy is incompatible with usage of the app?

Message 12 of 21

@Topology wrote:

The Nighthawk app updated to version 2.15.1.2 this morning on my iPhone 13 Pro (iOS 15.4) – and, unfortunately, the initial screen requiring installation of “your free 30-day NETGEAR Armor trial” remains.

May be an iOS thing. No nags here in Android. Two routers (R7800 and R7000P). Local wifi and anywhere access.

Message 13 of 21
Topology
Virtuoso

Based on a conversation with a NETGEAR Senior Technical Support Expert, clicking "I agree" to the statement "I accept NETGEAR's Terms and Conditions and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy" on the Nighthawk app startup screen does not enable router data collection, for individuals who have already chosen to opt-out of the Analytics Data Policy.

In addition, both the Nighthawk app and the Armor service can be used by individuals who have already chosen to opt-out of the Policy – i.e., participating in router data collection is not a prerequisite for use of the app or service.

Message 14 of 21
johnw1ck
Tutor

@Topology  I appreciate your response, but it has nothing to do with my issue nor the topic of this thread. I've tried to make this as clear as possible numerous times. My issue is that I want to use the IOS app to control my router, in order to do that I have to agree to a FORCED armor trial in order to just use the app, which I do not want nor will ever want. I do not want to be forced into a Armor "30-day" trial in order to use the app. Which of course automatically rolls into subscription after the 30-days. It's one of the scummiest moves I've seen. Even if it didn't roll into a subscription, I DO NOT WANT ARMOR!  I never once mentioned the analytic issue, so I don't want this thread dissolving into that issue. 

Message 15 of 21
Topology
Virtuoso

@johnw1ck, my recent comments were focused on the statements in the Nighthawk app startup screen stating: "NETGEAR collects analytics data" and "I accept NETGEAR's Terms and Conditions and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.” I agree that these are tangential to the more central issue of "We'll install your free 30-day NETGEAR Armor trial,” but may be important additional considerations for some individuals who are concerned about the privacy implications of agreeing to use the Nighthawk app together with Armor.

On the ‘forced trail’ issue specifically, I do have news to report. I ‘checked the box’ on the startup screen appearing on the Nighthawk app (2.15.1.2, iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 15.4.1) and clicked “I agree.” Much to my surprise, the app does not automatically initiate a trial of the Armor service on my RAXE500. In the Security tile on the home screen of the app the message “Protect with Armor Now” appears – and, clicking that prompt produces a second screen in which an “Activate Trial” button can optionally be clicked.

To summarize, there exist two voluntary steps beyond agreeing to the Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy of the app that must be executed before the Armor trial is initiated (based on my experience).  Hence, the verbiage on the startup screen “We'll install your free 30-day NETGEAR Armor trial” appears to be misleading.

Message 16 of 21
Donnamw
Tutor

Did you get your app working without being forced into armour trail? My app on my iPhone is doing the same thing.
Message 17 of 21
Topology
Virtuoso

@Donnamw , yes – it is possible to use the Nighthawk app (2.15.1.2, iOS 15.4.1) without experiencing an automatic commencement of a trial of the Armor service, based on my experience.

Message 18 of 21
StuntPanda
Aspirant

Forced Acceptance of Terms and Armor trial Installation

Anyone else getting this forced installation of the Netgear Armor trial? Not only can you not avoid the installation but you also have to agree to terms and conditions you don't agree with. All just so you're allowed to access your Orbi system!

Forced Acceptance is Not AcceptanceForced Acceptance is Not Acceptance

Message 19 of 21

@johnw1ck wrote:

In order to activate and use the Nighthawk app. after the latest app update, you have to agree to the Armor install or you can't activate and use it.

I have noticed this pop-up in the Android app, but I was not forced to accept anything to progress.

Message 20 of 21
cuivre
Initiate

Re: Forced Acceptance of Terms and Armor trial Installation

Same thing just started happening to me on the Orbi app.
Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 54 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7