ablots
Aspirant

Re: How To Stop Netgear Armor Vulnerability Scan on a device

Thanks!

Message 51 of 78
GreenTomatoes
Aspirant

I have this issue as well and am still waiting for a fix.

Message 52 of 78
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi all, this is still being worked on by engineering. We will provide an update once available.

Dexter

Message 53 of 78
LtZee
Initiate

Hi,

Please add me to the list of people eagerly awaiting the fix for this! 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 54 of 78
studiodb
Guide

One of Netgear's techs (Oliver) helped me download and install the newest version ( 2.5.1.8.) of their Armor software. Inititally, I could find NO update for firmware OR software until Oliver showed me where it was hiding. (None of my equipment showed my software as needing to be updated.) Since I installed it, I have had no printing issues whatsoever. That was on Feb. 12, 2020. I have run several scans since then with no unwanted printing. I'll feel better once a full week or two have gone by without those extra pages coming off the printer, but for now, it does seem that the issue has been resolved. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 55 of 78
Glenvis
Star

So...  where is the secret location to update the software?

Message 56 of 78
studiodb
Guide

Netgear has posted the update under their "Firmware and Software" Downloads. 

Once you log in, go to Support and you'll find it. My guess is that they've had enough success with this version (2.5.1.8) to actually post it.

As of today, everything is still working - no extraneous pages coming off the printer.

Message 57 of 78
FURRYe38
Guru

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx#download

@Glenvis wrote:

So...  where is the secret location to update the software?

Message 58 of 78
Kajun
Initiate

Yeah, no I havent heard an official word from Dexter or Engineering that this issue has been resolved. We need a publix fix, not some private message that may or may not work. How long do we have to wait? It has been months of wasted ink and paper from my HP printer. I do like PhysicWorld's idea for Armor reimbursement or subscription extensions. Maybe this will help offset the cost of all the wasted materials. Make it happen Netgear, and fix this crap!!

Message 59 of 78
studiodb
Guide

Official or not, try downloading and installing the new update. It's readily available on the website. "Glenvis" even posted a link.

I have not had an issue for over a week since I updated to the newest version. 

Message 60 of 78
LtZee
Initiate

I've had the new version 2.5.1.8 running for two days now and everything works fine. Surprised that the official next version isn't recognized by the automatic update feature in the admin tool itself. 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 61 of 78
JoeBW
Aspirant

My Orbi's firware is v.2.3.5.30

I'm using the Orbi ios app.  When I check for updates, it says the firmware is up to date.

Any idea on how to update the firmware via the Orbi App?

Message 62 of 78
studiodb
Guide

I don't know why, but my Orbi router always says I'm up to date. However, when I go to Netgear's website and login, I go to Downloads and can then see the latest version of software/firmware. I've done that 2 or 3 times since I installed my Orbi late last summer. It's frustrating that the app doesn't pick up on that, but this is the best option that I've found to stay up to date.

Message 63 of 78
DSing
Guide

I had three pages of nonsense printed out this morning, and searched in google which brought me here.  Apologies for resurecting an old topic, but is there any fixes for this problem?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 64 of 78
kbdavis
Initiate

Funny since I just happened to search for this myself today too. Doesn’t appear there is a fix. This is the 2nd time I’ve encountered this, first my Brother HL-2270DW will print 3 pages. Then my Epson XP-6100 will print one consolidated page that contained the same garbage from the Brother print. However, this printer doesn’t release the page and doesn’t finish printing, and the ink head is off it’s base. Fortunately I am working from home right now so I am next to it where I was able to quickly fix the problem, but if I wasn’t there is a good chance the ink heads would have dried out and possibly caused permanent damage to this printer I’ve only had for 3 weeks now.

My printers are connected via a static IP address, so I don’t understand why I can’t just add the IPs of these printers to an ignore list. Or perhaps their MAC addresses.

Fortunately for me I am only on the trial version of Netgear Armor and have not paid for this service, and I will not be paying for a subscription where the service itself is more likely to cause harm to my devices than the threats it attempts to protect me from.
Message 65 of 78
DSing
Guide

Like the fool that I am, I paid for the service. Although not actually entered my code yet, so silly me is still on the trial, but paid! Nightmare
Message 66 of 78
studiodb
Guide

Official or not, try downloading and installing the latest update. It's readily available on the website. "Glenvis" even posted a link.

I have not had an issue since I updated to the newest version. You can't trust the app to determine whether you have the latest version or not, as the app shows you to be "up to date" when you're really not. You have to search it out on Netgear's website. 

Good Luck

Message 60 of 66
Message 67 of 78
JoeBW
Aspirant

I disabled Netgear Armor as well.

The Orbi iOS app recognizes that there is a firmware update available (2.5.18) and it is currently on 2.3.5.30, however, it does not update.

I clicked Update and it appears to go through to update itself and then reboots the router, but the update never happens.  It remains on the older firmware.

Has anyone experienced this issue?

Message 68 of 78
studiodb
Guide

My experience has been that you have to go online and update from there. Attempting to update from the app NEVER worked for me. 

Diane

Message 69 of 78

Re: How To Stop Netgear Armor Vulnerability Scan - latest firmware does not fix it

This issue was originally posted on ‎2019-09-21 06:43 AM

Are there any updates, 9 months later?

Message 70 of 78
beautifie
Aspirant

So I have witnessed this as well, I just so happen to witness it when my son gets DDoS online from a gamer. 

I just disabled port 9100 in my printer by using the printers IP and a web browser.  Here is some more information on port 9100 and why you shouldn't use it. 

http://hacking-printers.net/wiki/index.php/Port_9100_printing

You can find more information by googling your printer and how to disable port 9100.

Model: R6900P|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 71 of 78
ScottH409
Aspirant

Problem is back.  Returned a few weeks ago.  SOMEONE PLEASE POST A SOLUTION that works for good.

Message 72 of 78
ScottH409
Aspirant

Just saw the notes about the Orbi app not picking up the latest version of the firmware.  I was on 2.5.2.24 and it's up to 2.7.1.26 - I'll try it and see what happens.

Netgear - not sure how you can have a product that STILL doesn't pick up that it's out of date, as this was happening over a year ago.

Message 73 of 78
ScottH409
Aspirant

Updated from 2.5.2.4 (sorry, typo on the previous email saying it was .24) to 2.7.1.60 on the router; satellites are up to date too.  We'll see if I get the 'phantom print' at the next scan.

Message 74 of 78
Derek1983
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue. HP printer is printing out and wasting paper when the scan is run. Been trying to Solve this for over a year. If a solution exists please send it over.
Message 75 of 78
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7