Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How do I remove this garbage from my router?

dagu599
Aspirant

That's it. I finally gave up on my R7000.

After the firmware update from about May 2020, the router became extremely unstable.

I thought it was my ISP, though, so I stuck with the router for over a year.

I tried everything, including resetting the router to defaults. Nothing helped.

Every day, Wifi would disconnect every device in the house, including streaming sticks for at least 2 minutes.

Hardwire network still worked - router logs showed nothing.

I finally bought a replacement router ASUS RT-AX88U.

WOW! What a difference.

Haven't had a single issue.

Netgear, you need to get your act together.

I used to swear by Netgear... Now I swear at Netgear.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 76 of 85
Nobodynew
Aspirant

Message 77 of 85
Nobodynew
Aspirant

Everyone forgets to tell you that when you unplug the router you need to open the nighthawk app hit the home button and open settings, wait until the WiFi it’s up before the router has established a cloud connection ( the internet ) open the anywhere access and disable it!!!! Only then can you open the security tab and turn the switch off for nether armor, I don’t have time to reset my world personally . Hope this helps next time
Message 78 of 85
Mosen
Tutor

That would work, if it was there when I needed it. The slider appears and disappears at will! Asked for a refund but cant uninstall it!

Message 79 of 85
Mosen
Tutor

Netgear is ransomwre in general, not just Armor. After two years, their SSL certificate was expired and when I tried talking to them or sending an email, I realized that I need to pay them to get their contact number! And they won't answer questions unless I pay a subscription! That's outright hostage taking!

Message 80 of 85
ErnestTheGreat
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Mosen

If you look at the warranty information that comes with your product the Netgear devices come with standard 90-day free phone support. If you wait more than 90 days after you got your product and call support after that they will pitch you a support contract. If you don't want that then you can use other support options, email, community, or KB articles. So it's not ransomware if you are told the warranty and support terms upfront. Also, the hardware warranty is different from the phone support so it should not be confused.

As far as Armor goes you can fully disable it using the app by going to Settings/Security and toggling Enable NETGEAR Armor. If the option does not work as you mentioned make sure you are using the latest app version and FW version. Sometimes depending on what's going on with the connection the API communication between app and router could be the reason why you have some issues as described. You can clear the app cache if on android to help with some of these issues. Otherwise, you can report the problem in-app by shaking your device and submitting an instabug log to the app support team.

Message 81 of 85
Mosen
Tutor

@ErnestTheGreat 

Thanks for the reply, and sorry it took me a while to get back to you.I definitly think this is the definition of ransomeware:

- A ransome attack is to break your system in some way and ask for money to fix it

- A netgear router might start to mulfunction at anytime because Netgear changed something, and you have to pay them to even ask what's wrong!  

Maybe I am just asking for too much, but I would appreciate if they provide some way I could at least contact them!!!!!  To do so, you have to "open a support case first". If your support is over, you can't open a case. If you can't open a case, they simply refuse to answer! At least the ransome guys have the dicency to contact you and let you know what they are doing.

I know, I know, I know, they have it in their "T&Cs". But I am not running a business. I bought a device for my home. If I buy a toaster, I don't read T&Cs! if someone tells me "your toaster stopped working because our CEO changed their surname, we want money to provide you support with that, and it is written in the T&Cs", I call BS. My router is giving me an SSL error and it is a known issue rooting in what they have done "after" they sold me the product. They can't just break the prodct they sold and then ask for money to fix it! This is outright ransome.

By the way, I got rid of the Armor c...p and got my money back due to multiple issue. I still have the SSL error popping up from time to time. I also have to go half way through defining a static address everytime I want to see the full list of my attached devices because "Attached Devices" button doesn't shows all items. This is also another example of a known, worldwide issue that roots in their software update and they refuse to answer since I haven't paid up.

I am researching to find a proper, legitimade system to replace the d.. thing and will soon toss it in the bin. They just go around and break stuff and expect me to pay. No way.

Message 82 of 85
ErnestTheGreat
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Mosen,

Regardless of the 90 free phone support or not when the customer calls in the support team should still hear you out and see what the problem is before they advise you of the support options or try to sell you premium support If they don't that's just bad customer service. As far as the attached devices list goes there is known issues in some cases if you use a special character or any reserved name that goes against NetBIOS naming conventions as defined in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/identity/naming-conventions-for-compute.... If you are using special characters or one of the reserved words the likelihood of your attached devices not showing up correctly or list being broken goes up exponentially. The best suggestion to anyone having issues with attached devices is to keep the device name simple no fancy naming conventions. Also, a tip for users if you are having issues with the attached devices list save the debug logs and look at the attached device list in the logs, and if the device shows up there but not on the WebUI most likely issues is on the GUI side and could be a glitch in GUI display or problem with device naming convention. Sometimes the issue may also be related to FW.

Message 83 of 85
nooneeverywhere
Initiate

unable to disable armor (errors out because it took more 60 sec) trying to allow the site (error please try again... same error) 

Message 84 of 85
CaptHindsight
Aspirant

Try flushing your DNS cache to see if you can reach the site inside of the timeout window. This timeout error could be a plethora of connectivity issues; but, to flush your cache on a Windows PC:
Press Windows key + R
Type ‘CMD’ and press enter to open command prompt CLI
Type: ipconfig /flushdns and press enter
Try to reach the landing page again
Message 85 of 85
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7