Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How do I turn off Armor/Bitdefender on my Orbi Router

awaikar
Initiate

I AGREE. They force you to buy the bitdefender product. in case you opt for the trial by mistake or inadvertently, after its expiration, several sites and downloads including from Netflix will not work. When you go to the security button and click on it, it takes you directly to site for netgear to BUY!! WHY?!! someone should file a suit for misleading information and do a class action

Message 51 of 97
akno
Star

After reading through this thread you have all convinced me not to enable this malware. Thanks for taking the arrow for the rest of us. IMHO, cloud management is an invitiation for cloud-based compromise. I would be happy to have a plain old AP. But I am forced to buy an expensive AP, firewall, router combination.

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 52 of 97
pizza_pablo
Apprentice

This does not work. Your android app proceeds to a blue page with a spinny thing and reads "Disabling NETGEAR Armor." for a couple minutes and then a popup reads "Orbi
Process is taking too long (more than
60 secs), Try again!!"
Selecting the "OK" takes me around the circle, with same results.
I can find no way to disable Armor on my laptop, when logged into the router settings.
THIS IS TERRIBLY AGGRAVATING!
Message 53 of 97
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @pizza_pablo, does the issue persist on another device? Also, please try clearing the app data and reinstall if the issue will persist. Let us know how it goes.

Dexter

Message 54 of 97
pizza_pablo
Apprentice

I have cleared data from the app. I have uninstalled, then reinstalled the app, with a reboot in between. Same result on Android phone and Android tablet. I get the blue, spinny window and then the fail popup. Screenshots attached.
I could not find how to install the app on a chrome book.
I cannot find the switch for Armor on my windows laptop, when logged into the router I address, connected via ethernet.

I appreciate your attempts to help, but the customer complaints on this thread and the many others are appalling! There is really no excuse for costumers to experience such torment! I'd **bleep**can this system, if it hadn't cost so much!
I agree with others, in the thought that this is purposely installed malware, though I cannot think of a motivation for it.
Dexter, do you work for Netgear or are you a customer?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 55 of 97
Lumpyuk
Initiate

I am having the same problem 

I do not want this awful malfunctioning price of turd blocking sites I know well 

its even blocking product descriptions on eBay !

i can't turn it off from the app ..

if I can't turn it off I will get rid of this modem and go back to Apple which worked out if the box with no problems 

Message 56 of 97
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @pizza_pablo and @Lumpyuk, I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Dexter

Message 57 of 97
akno
Star

@DexterJBIf you know of how to disable this obnoxious, intrusive software, share it with the group instead of it a secret. There are plenty of people that have been hooked into this subscription service that they don't want and want to get out of without purchasing new hardware. This kind of trap-ware is going to convince people to install open source firmware such as DD-WRT or OpenWRT on your hardware.

Message 58 of 97
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @akno, the link below are the steps on how to turn the Armor feature on/off. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000060900/How-do-I-turn-NETGEAR-Armor-on-or-off-using-the-Nighthawk-or-Orbi-a...

Dexter

Message 59 of 97
pizza_pablo
Apprentice

@DexterJB
What are our choices, when the switch, in this procedure, fails to go to the OFF position?
Message 60 of 97
JimHB
Aspirant

Can I disable this trash of a solution from my PC or do I really need to use a phone?

Message 61 of 97
bsand
Initiate

I am having exactly the same issue! I fell for the free trial of Netgear Armour and my upload speed went down tremendously. I get the purchase page when I try to get to the security settings to turn it off. My trial is up so they want me to buy Armour in order to disable it?! I uninstalled the Orbi app on my phone and reinstalled and went through set up again only to find the Armour still blocking my way to the security settings. Wifi speed is still slow. I really would appreciate one of those “messages” others are getting on this link so I can avoid tossing this whole Orbi system into the trash!!
Message 62 of 97
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello bsand, 

May you provide a screenshot of the error/issue you're experiencing. Specifically when going to Settings > Security and tapping on the toggle to disable Armor. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 63 of 97
pizza_pablo
Apprentice

There is no end to this cycle.
I've cleared app cache, cleared app data, uninstalled app, rebooted and installed app.
Same results.
Message 64 of 97
IanB1015
Aspirant

While this is helpful shutting it off, I wish I could exclude IP addresses entirely from the app or from the router GUI. It would make life a whole lot easier because I only want to exclude the one work device.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 65 of 97
pizza_pablo
Apprentice

@IanB1015
How did you get it "shut off"?
Message 66 of 97
jjvoliver
Apprentice

I am having this exact same issue with mine, it always times out after 60 seconds

@pizza_pablo wrote:
This does not work. Your android app proceeds to a blue page with a spinny thing and reads "Disabling NETGEAR Armor." for a couple minutes and then a popup reads "Orbi
Process is taking too long (more than
60 secs), Try again!!"
Selecting the "OK" takes me around the circle, with same results.
I can find no way to disable Armor on my laptop, when logged into the router settings.
THIS IS TERRIBLY AGGRAVATING!

I've attempted this with 2 phones already, a OnePlus 7 Pro and a Pixel 4 XL, to no avail.

I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Orbi App, nothing works.

I just want to REMOVE armor from my life. It is MY mesh system, so Netgear, WTH?

Message 67 of 97
jjvoliver
Apprentice

I just kicked yet another star off of the Orbi app in the Google Play Store.

It's incredible how little they care about their clients.

At end of life, Netgear is the one networking manufacturer that will NEVER see my money again.

Message 68 of 97
BAM2019
Star

I think you have to use the phone app or contact Netgear support and have them do it for you. The phoen app does anopt always connect well enough to do the disconnect.  Really a bad and stupid concept on Netgears app to make this so difficult and not stable!  They took a good WiFi system and ruined it with Bitdefender!

Message 69 of 97
jjvoliver
Apprentice

Netgear support won't even receive a request if you're not paying for their support subscription, which I'm not, nor will I do it.

It seems as if this is yet another attempt by Netgear to forcibly sell their worthless support service.

And I fully agree with you, they took and otherwise good system and turned it to poop by forcing that Armor stuff on the owners.

My Armor service will expire on August 8th, we'll see if after that it keeps on.

Bitdefender is my goto security system for my devices, but it's so badly implemented in Netgear's software that it's like using the free version of Norton, only worse.

@BAM2019 wrote:

I think you have to use the phone app or contact Netgear support and have them do it for you. The phoen app does anopt always connect well enough to do the disconnect.  Really a bad and stupid concept on Netgears app to make this so difficult and not stable!  They took a good WiFi system and ruined it with Bitdefender!

Message 70 of 97
jjvoliver
Apprentice

Same crap.
Message 71 of 97
jjvoliver
Apprentice

Screenshot_20200415-114656.png

Every time I try to disable it.

Message 72 of 97
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello jjvoliver, 

May you try reinstalling the app and try disabling Armor again.

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 73 of 97
jjvoliver
Apprentice

I did that, twice, on each phone, to no avail.
Message 74 of 97
jjvoliver
Apprentice

I just made a video doing exactly that, and getting the same (non)result.
Let me know if you want me to send you the video.
Message 75 of 97
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7