Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How do I turn off Armor/Bitdefender on my Orbi Router

Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi jjvoliver, 

Thanks for getting back. I'd like for our support team to reach out for further assistance. Please send me a private message with your contact info. 

Thank you,

Christian 

Message 76 of 97
pizza_pablo
Apprentice

I think I got it!
I reset the router and satellites. I uninstalled the Orbi Android app.
During setup, I used a different email address. This resulted in the inability to register the modem, because the "serial number was used on another account", but it's not like I'm losing anything at this point.
This new account allowed me to ignore Armor.
The last time I reset everything, I used the original email address on setup and that automatically left Armor installed / turned on, whatever.
It's been almost a week. So far, so good.
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 77 of 97
dk10438
Initiate

I'm having the same prbolem.  I accidentally activeate netarmor and I am unable to deactivate it.  Any update on how to get rid of this malware??

Message 78 of 97
dk10438
Initiate

finally got rid of the malware....

hard reset and then setup the orbi using the laptop and going to orbilogin.net

haven't linked it to my account or with my phone for fear that it would re enable.

Netgear please get rid of this crap

Message 79 of 97
jjvoliver
Apprentice

@dk10438 wrote:

finally got rid of the malware....

hard reset and then setup the orbi using the laptop and going to orbilogin.net

haven't linked it to my account or with my phone for fear that it would re enable.

Netgear please get rid of this crap

Yeah, apparently the only way to disable it is by hard reset and not readding your account.

I received this from Netgear:

Update from NETGEAR
Hi Jose,

1. Login to orbilogin.net
2. Back up the settings (Go to Advanced>Administration>Back up Settings> Back up)
3. Uninstall and re-install the Orbi App
4. Factory reset the orbi router (https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings)
5. Once router is boot up, Login to the web interface and restore the settings
6. After settings are restored, Login to the Orbi App and disable the Armor/Security.

Regards,

Angel
NETGEAR Support
And as soon as I readded my account Armor was instantly re-enabled. Tried again to disable it as they said, and again got the "Time Out" error.

There seems to be no way to resolve it until Netgear's tech team decides it's bad enough that it needs to be fixed.

Message 80 of 97
jjvoliver
Apprentice

@Christian_R wrote:

Hi jjvoliver, 

Thanks for getting back. I'd like for our support team to reach out for further assistance. Please send me a private message with your contact info. 

Thank you,

Christian 

Thanks a lot for escallating man. It led to nothing other than 30 minutes without WiFi in my house, but I do appreciate that you took the trouble to attempt to resolve my issue.

Message 81 of 97
jjvoliver
Apprentice

OK, quick update:

I decided to call Bitdefender again with the same case number, and they asked me to get the router ID number that shows in my armor.netgear.com page, and after they took the number they said they would pass it on to the techs to manually remove my router from the account.

Here's hoping this resolves the issue.

On a side note, I've been using Bitdefender for over 8 years now, and not a single complain from me, except for Armor (which seems more and more like a Netgear issue more than a Bitdefender one), and the fact that their SPAM protection interface is not really firendly, but works like a charm.

I'll update this again once they have removed my router from the armor account (who would have thought that Bitdefender can do this for a Netgear device, but Netgear doesn't seem to be able/willing to).

Message 82 of 97
jjvoliver
Apprentice

Well, this is the end of this issue for me.

Bitdefender came through with their offer to help.

Last nnight I started noticing my devices had stopped having jaggy connections, and every device in my home was working perfectly.

I checked in the web based UI of my Orbi, and sure enough, Armor was disabled, and I didn't have to do it myself:armor disabled.JPG

Then I woke up to this email from Bitdefender:bitdefender.JPG

So, Bitdefender made it happen, where Netgear couldn't/wouldn't disable a piece of software in a device manufactured and programed by them.

I'm out of the boonies now, and I hope this information helps the rest of you guys still living this nightmare.

Message 83 of 97

No matter how many times I turn off armor in settings/security, it is still activated. I do not want this trial subscription and I hate this orbi router. Customer support is abysmal and the product came without instruction manual. Told me to log into their website. Without internet I could not do so.
Model: A6150|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi USB Mini Adapter, RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 84 of 97

Trial subscription to armor bitdefender is totally screwing up everything connecting to router. I toggle it off in settings but it remains activated. I hate this router and NETGEAR as a company. Customer support is abysmal.
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 85 of 97

Did that but it is still activated
Message 86 of 97
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi supersimmermom,

Please send me a private message with your email address and case number(s). I can see if support can follow up on your case and have it escalated.

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 87 of 97
NGC_User
Initiate

My Netgear Armor trial will be ending soon. Reading these posts gives me an erie feeling that I may experience issues with canceling too but will cross my fingers.

I had a hard time setting up my Orbi initially too which makes sense now reading through this thread and seeing how utilizing the Router's thin web client for administration is different than from using the mobile app. Something good to note and keep an eye out for when it is time to disable my Netgear Armor trial.

To Netgear's defense, Armor it is not malware since the underlying service/technology being offered is by Bitdefender which many members have attested to Bitdefender as a reputable anti-virus/anti-malware platform. In addition, since CES 2018, Netgear is just trying to be competitive to increase their security offerings and keep up with other manufacturers that are introducing a Cloud Network Security software built-in with their devices. D-LINK started before Netgear did with Armor [LINK].

What Netgear does need to improve on is possibly the back-end server support. I presume Netgear servers need to speak with Bitdefender servers to enable and disable cloud security licenses. Hence, Bitdefender support is able to turn off/disable Netgear Armor if a user contacts them directly because they utimately own the licensing keys and servers that is conducting the live network scans, etc.

Message 88 of 97
Tom4278
Aspirant

As many others have said, including me, turning off Armor, does NOT remove the website BLOCKING   issue. It obviously should, but for some unexplained reason (other than yearly re-occurring revenue to  Netgear) they have chosen to force this malware on their unsuspecting customers. As others have said, I also will NEVER be a Netgear customer again‼️

Message 89 of 97
ColoradoBound
Aspirant

This action simply redirects to Internet web page.....no application controls available.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 90 of 97
jjvoliver
Apprentice

@NGC_User wrote:

My Netgear Armor trial will be ending soon. Reading these posts gives me an erie feeling that I may experience issues with canceling too but will cross my fingers.

I had a hard time setting up my Orbi initially too which makes sense now reading through this thread and seeing how utilizing the Router's thin web client for administration is different than from using the mobile app. Something good to note and keep an eye out for when it is time to disable my Netgear Armor trial.

To Netgear's defense, Armor it is not malware since the underlying service/technology being offered is by Bitdefender which many members have attested to Bitdefender as a reputable anti-virus/anti-malware platform. In addition, since CES 2018, Netgear is just trying to be competitive to increase their security offerings and keep up with other manufacturers that are introducing a Cloud Network Security software built-in with their devices. D-LINK started before Netgear did with Armor [LINK].

What Netgear does need to improve on is possibly the back-end server support. I presume Netgear servers need to speak with Bitdefender servers to enable and disable cloud security licenses. Hence, Bitdefender support is able to turn off/disable Netgear Armor if a user contacts them directly because they utimately own the licensing keys and servers that is conducting the live network scans, etc.

While I do agree that this is not malware, and that Bitdefender the best all-around offer when it comes to digital security, it is also true that this Armor service has, evdently, never left the beta stage. 

I thought it was a great idea when it first came out (having my mesh system integrated with my go-to digital security suite), but it turned out to be over a year of constant issues and to top it up, Netgear pointing fingers at the users instead of owniing it, apologizing, fixing and moving on.

That is my main issue, a dishonest company that preys on it's customer base.

What this means is that, as wireless technology keeps evolving (WiFi 6 and on), as a customer I have no reson to trust this company with my infrastructure, much less with the transport and security of my data, simply because they are, as I mentioned, dishonest in the way they profit.

Now, are other companies different? I'm sure there is at least one out there that is. But what is certain is that Netgear is not the one that handles itself with honesty and transparecy with the people that pays their bills.

Message 91 of 97
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Tom4278 & ColoradoBound,

May you confirm that Armor is disabled when looking at the Security Tile of the Nighthawk or Orbi app.

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 92 of 97
StanSpotts
Aspirant

I hope it's not an indication of lack of support that I can't set my router model from the drop-down for these messages. RAX50 | AX5400 | Nighthawk AX6. And why can't these things have one single model so they're not confusing?

Anyway, same issue as a lot of people are having. Stupidly set the switch in the iOS Nighthawk app to enable Armor, and not cannot disable it. I get the same error message about it taking too long (over 60 secs) and to try again. Reinstalled the app. Nope. Reset the router. Nope. Why woud you let junior programmers operating out of mud huts in the back country in Australia write your code? This is crap.  How do I disable this junk? My phones get network access but no internet now, the PS4's lag like hell, the XBox One loses connection several times a day. Only the Windows 10 boxes seem to be stable.  All since enabling Armor.

Also, WTF is there something that can only be configured from an app that requires working wifi that is NOT also configurable from the router management page (routerlogin.net) with a wired connection? Someone had a bad case of neural flatulance with that design.

I WANT IT GONE. I DON"T WANT ANY PART OF IT AFFECTING MY NETWORK ANY MORE.

Message 93 of 97
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi StanSpotts, 

May you power cycle your router and refer to the article below.

https://kb.netgear.com/000060900/How-do-I-turn-NETGEAR-Armor-on-or-off-using-the-Nighthawk-or-Orbi-a...

Christian 

Message 94 of 97
dbird
Aspirant

Have a RAX45. Having the same issue. When I follow the procedure to turn off the Armor, the app spins for 60 seconds, then times out with no result. Been doing this for an hour, still no joy.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 95 of 97
StanSpotts
Aspirant

I still had time, so I sent mine back and got a new one and didn't install Armor. Runs a LOT better now. Never again...

Message 96 of 97
Gilligan83
Aspirant

Your my hero.

Message 97 of 97
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7