Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do I turn off Armor/Bitdefender on my Orbi Router

GLar
Follower

How do I turn off Armor/Bitdefender on my Orbi Router

I foolishly accepted trying Netgear's Armor by BitDefender on my Orbi Router mesh and it is now blocking long-used very safe sites that I urgently need for my work, yet there is not obvious way to either register a URL as safe (at least for me) or to turn off Armour before the trial period expires.  HELP!!!!

Glar

Message 1 of 97
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: How do I turn off Armor/Bitdefender on my Orbi Router

Message 2 of 97
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @GLar,

Welcome to the community!

You can disable it the same way you as enabling it. This link may help out. This link from Bitdefender may also help in submitting a safe URL.

Dexter

Message 3 of 97
JamShady
Initiate

That option is not available to me, either on Android, iOS or the web portal. There is no option to turn it off. When you click on security, it just takes you to another screen that shows the router, subscription and selected devices. No toggle to turn it off.

edit: ok, restarting the app forced it to appear, what bad clunky design
Message 4 of 97
Laff2
Initiate

Start on main screen on the house in circle icon 

Go to settings

Go to Security

Toggle off "Enable NETGEAR Armor"

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 97
kellypk65
Initiate

I use the iphone app so here's what i did while in the app:

In the upper left-hand corner there is a icon of a circled house. Click that

Next choose "Settings"

Next choose "Security"

Turn off the "Enable NETGEAR Armour" switch. 

hope that helps. 

Message 6 of 97
ShankarHokie
Apprentice

Perfect!

I was able to do this on my Android based Orbi App as well.

Message 7 of 97
icanhelpppl
Initiate

For iOS click the cloud in the top left corner then settings then security then you may toggle it off from there!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 8 of 97
RobLW
Initiate

If you find that restarting your IOS Orbi app isn't showing you the options you expected, follow these steps:

On IOS you now need to 

1) Login to Orbi app

2) Tap the Home icon top left corner

3) Tap Settings at the top of the menu

4) Tap Security near bottom of new menu

It'll say it's validating your account, then load a new screen where at the top you can toggle NetGear Armor to it's best position, OFF!

Message 9 of 97
Orbi-Roc
Luminary

" ... where at the top you can toggle NetGear Armor to it's best position, OFF!"

Why is that @RobLW ? Not that I am challenging your position on Armor, far from it. I have only been using it for two days; and so far I have no issues. I am just curious as to how what factors caused you to drop the product. 

Message 10 of 97
TheColtons
Initiate

Armor stinks, DO NOT USE IT!  If it blocks a site that you may want, you cannot manage it.  You have to submit a request to bitdefender to make the fix. 

To add misery to the pain, now I have disabled Armor, but it is STILL blocking sites.  Will try a reboot of my Orbi to see if that fixes it.  If a reboot doesnt work, I am probably on my way to a factory reset to blow Armor settings out.

If you, your spouse or kids play games on a phone or tablet, Armor will label any of the "bonus" ads as spam and block them.  Kids and wife were complaining all night last night.

Message 11 of 97
PoolBall
Guide

Android screenshot from NETGEAR Orbi App.
Tap, next screen go to settings, then security.
Toggle off Armor
Message 12 of 97
JMZZO
Initiate

I had to turn it off because it was affecting my upload speed. I have a FIOS connection with 200/200. With Armor on i was getting 30 mbs upload. As soon as i turned it off, 250 Mbs! It was also blocking my work VPN. 

Message 13 of 97
guyplace
Star

I've tried everything I could think of.  Now hoping software will stop working after trial subscription ends.  Very limited internet until then other than direct connections to ISP cable modem.  If it presists after that, I'll just buy a new router.  Basically, Netgear has infected its own customers with malware.

Message 14 of 97
guyplace
Star

Disable it and you'll discover (like I did) that toggling the on/off switch is useless.  Even if you factory reset, Netgear Armour will automatically be reinstalled and activated.  Sites continue to be blocked.  They got us!  What a scummy company!

Message 15 of 97
PoolBall
Guide

Use the Android or IOS app via phone to turn off Armor. Goto Settings, Security. Menu icon is in top corner of app display.
Message 16 of 97
JMZZO
Initiate

Interesting your still having issues when you toggle it off. Once I turned it off using the toggle it solved my upload performance issue and appears it is not blocking any websites. The app icon still shows the subscription as "active" but the service is off. This doesnt really help you, but just letting you know how it behaved for me.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 17 of 97
guyplace
Star

Same websites are blocked after togling Netgear Armour to "off" as before when it was "on."  Tried to factory reset system to keep Armour from activating.  Obvisously, it was designed (like a virus) to protect itself and to reactivate of its own initiative.  Netgear has basically hacked and infected its own customers.  I'm guessing it will still be there after trial period expires, then one would be expected to pay for "technical support!"  That basically makes Armour "ransomware."  I would say there is reasonable probability this is not accidental.  The router and satelite are now basically "boat anchors."  I will never again buy another Netgear product.

Message 18 of 97
Orbi-Roc
Luminary

Hi @guyplace .

I know that this won't be any consolation; but for me, once I disabled Armor within the Netgear Orbi iOS app, I had no issues whatsoever. If you're absolutely sure that nothing else is getting in the way that would explain why the said websites are still being blocked with Armor disabled, then perhaps you can reach out to Netgear/Bitdefender support and see what they can do to help.

Message 19 of 97
guyplace
Star

Security App is off (I just again checked for giggles).  Sites are still blocked (I just tried Apple App store update function, again just for giggles).  FW version again checked and verified as current (...60) (again, just for giggles).  Armour trial set to expire on 6/20.  I am not paying Netgear ransom to talk to me about issue (~$100 for a new tech support subscription) for a problem they clearly instigated.  Bottom line.  Orbi was a great product ruined (seemingly by intent) by an app that Netgear enticed customers to integrate into their hardware - like a hacker would trick a victim to click on a link that downloaded malware.

Message 20 of 97
TheColtons
Initiate

Success finally! I had to go in and turn armor off and on over and over. Eventually after one of the flips off it actually took. Love my Orbi, but what garbage software Armor is
Message 21 of 97
guyplace
Star

Me, didn't work.  Tried toggling Armour on and off via Orbi App on my iPhoneXsMax to no avail.  This is all on Netgear.  They should have tested

@TheColtons wrote:
Success finally! I had to go in and turn armor off and on over and over. Eventually after one of the flips off it actually took. Love my Orbi, but what garbage software Armor is

the function before launching it to the world.

Message 22 of 97
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @guyplace, I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Dexter

Message 23 of 97
guyplace
Star

Issue resolved - everything working perfectly!  Apparantly after toggleing the Netgear Armour switch to off, websites were availible.  THE PROBLEM WAS that when doing a factory reset, the IP Address of the Orbi is changed.  If you log in to set up your Orbi after factory reset via computer app, instead of using phone app, the Orbi's new IP Address will be updated; if not, it will not be updated and you devices will not be able to communication.  I believe the setup video showed Orbi being set up with phone app.  Who would have thought using computer v. phone app would make any difference?  I am remorseful for so harshly flaming Netgear with my earlier post; however, the instructions on set up could have been more clear on this issue.  My wireless is now extending through my 4000 sq foot home at over 300mbps with all devices communicating.  I am a happy camper.  

Message 24 of 97
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Thank you for providing an update! Glad to know you got it all sorted out.

Dexter

Message 25 of 97
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7