Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to disable / deactivate Armor on RBR50?

Durhammer
Guide

Here's an update. After leaving home for a few hours, I checked my Orbi app upon return. NOW, when I click the Netgear Armor security badge/medallion, it apparently connects, and invites me to activate Netgear Armor/Bitdefender. There's only a big button at the bottom to activate, nothing like a "no thanks," or anything to fully disable, etc., so I just clicked the back arrow at the top to get out of the dialog. So (1) something happened between the prior attempt and this'n to get me to the dialog, and (2) -- MAYBE -- it's an indication that Armor is "inactive" (though I bet if I telnet in, the daemons are still running). The telly was off when I returned, so I don't know if the Spectrum TV streaming app suffered in the meantime. I'll fire it back up again and try to keep track of it.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 51 of 74
Durhammer
Guide

Haven't had a single issue with the Spectrum TV streaming app on Roku since resetting the router. Not touching any enablement of Armor/Bitdefender ever again. Am using Adguard ad-blocking DNS (they have a family protection one as well, and Neustar also has a slew of free public DNSes that provide security against malware, phishing, and more). Dunno just what Bitdefender blocks, but apparently a lot of stuff folks WANT to get to.

Got off the phone with Netgear "technical" support this morning, who didn't give me anything else to help. No better way of fixing the problem after the Armor/Bitdefender trial period expires without you first disabling it, other than having to do a hard reset of the router. This is a MAJOR PITA, Netgear! I asked if there was hope for a firmware update soon that fixes the problem. First, the next likely firmware update isn't likely to surface until something like April, and second, even then, there's not any likelihood of the issue at hand (being able to disable Armor after the trial expires) being fixed. Not happy.

Also, on the Roku community board, I learned that the issue with Bitdefender (not simply Netgear, you could be using a "Bitdefender Box" with another brand of router) also affects other streaming services like Netflix on an LG smart TV.

Hope this helps.

Message 52 of 74
Durhammer
Guide

One last thing. I tried what @pizza_pablo had suggested last year. Doesn't work, at least if you registered your router (which probably is done automagically). Trying a new account/email requires that you enter the Orbi's serial #, and it won't let you register it under a different email address, apparently.

@pizza_pablo wrote:
@tadam, I tried to remove the Armor by factory resetting my router, but because I used the same login / password combo, for the router and the smartphone app as I had, previously, for each, I believe this allowed the Armor to stay on my account.
If I were to try again, I would factory reset the router and uninstall the smartphone app. When setting up the router I would deny the installation of the Armor. When creating a login, I would use a different email address, creating an entirely new account, for both the router and the smartphone app.
If you try this and it works, please post that, here.
Regards,
Pablo

Message 53 of 74
BWest1
Star

I can't disable Armor...  When I toggle the switch in the app, I there is a "Disabling NETGEAR Armor." screen which appears for a period of time witht he swirly icon indicating waiting for something to occur.  Then an error message "Process is taking too long (more than 60 secs), Try again!"  or  "Sorry, the action was failed.  Please try again."

So how can I get rid of this crap which is killing my internet performance?  I've tried this at least 50 times, can't get past the error messages.

iOS app version 2.4.21.5 ...  Firmware 2.5.1.8

Message 54 of 74
Durhammer
Guide

Hi @BWest1 -- unfortunately, you probably need to do a reset of your router.

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

https://kb.netgear.com/000053863/I-reset-my-Orbi-router-how-do-I-set-it-up-again

(The above aren't the clearest, but they should get you in the right direction.)

Just whatever you do, do NOT re-enable Armor (Bitdefender in NETGEAR clothing).

@BWest1 wrote:

I can't disable Armor...  When I toggle the switch in the app, I there is a "Disabling NETGEAR Armor." screen which appears for a period of time witht he swirly icon indicating waiting for something to occur.  Then an error message "Process is taking too long (more than 60 secs), Try again!"  or  "Sorry, the action was failed.  Please try again."

So how can I get rid of this crap which is killing my internet performance?  I've tried this at least 50 times, can't get past the error messages.

iOS app version 2.4.21.5 ...  Firmware 2.5.1.8

Message 55 of 74
DKJ
Tutor
Tutor

I am also having an issue with many sites being blocked. The directions to disable Netgear Armor are easy to follow, unfortunately the slider does not unblock sites. Before I return this product that I just bought, can someone post instructions on how to disable Armor, this would likely help reduce your call volumns. 

Message 56 of 74
DKJ
Tutor
Tutor

I bought the RBR50 based on Consumer Reports recommendation. I think they should publish information on these issues with Armor and the lack of support for customers unable to use your product. 

Message 57 of 74
DKJ
Tutor
Tutor

Contacted Consumers Reports, they will look into it and decide if their recommendation should be updated. Reviews on their site also mention that Bitdefender is useless. I just want to turn it off since the HW works fine.

Message 58 of 74
pizza_pablo
Apprentice

It won't turn off. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app with no joy, only sadness.
Message 59 of 74
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Community, 

Please refer to the article linked below on how to turn of Armor using the Nighthawk/Orbi app. If you still run into issue(s), please send me a private message with your name, email, phone, preferred contact time, and serial number. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000060900/How-do-I-turn-NETGEAR-Armor-on-or-off-using-the-Nighthawk-or-Orbi-a...

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 60 of 74
pizza_pablo
Apprentice

@Christian_R
You guys have gone WAY past the point of total ridiculousness!
One again, I'll describe what happens when I try to turn off the evil Armor, using the Orbi app.
I go to settings and select security. That brings up the Armor page. I select the off button, circled in red with a red arrow pointing to it, in the attached screenshots.
Then, I get the blue progress screen. Another attached screenshot.
After a minute or so, I get the next screenshot, with the "took too long, try again" error message.
RINCE AND REPEAT!
I've uninstalled and reinstalled the App, cleared data, logged out logged in. Nothing works.

Please, for the love of God, remove this malware!
Message 61 of 74
pizza_pablo
Apprentice

@Christian_R
So, I can only post one screenshot per post.
Message 62 of 74
pizza_pablo
Apprentice

@Christian_R

The blue progress screen
Message 63 of 74
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi pizza_pablo, 

Have you gotten a chance to get in contact with support? If so, please provide me with your case number(s) and email address. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 64 of 74
Durhammer
Guide

@Christian_R wrote:

Hi pizza_pablo, 

Have you gotten a chance to get in contact with support? If so, please provide me with your case number(s) and email address. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Christian, I did long ago. I could give you my case number and such, but frankly, it was not a worthwhile effort. Close to useless, in fact.

Sorry, but a frank note is required.

-Jim-

Message 65 of 74
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Durhammer - Would you mind sending me a private message with your case number. I'd like for our support team to follow up.

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 66 of 74
pizza_pablo
Apprentice

DO NOT ACCEPT THE FIRMWARE UPDATE!
I foolishly fell for their offer, promising the ability to whitelist web sites.
The intent has gone down and back up all evening.
Message 67 of 74
Durhammer
Guide

@Christian_R wrote:

Hi Durhammer - Would you mind sending me a private message with your case number. I'd like for our support team to follow up.

Thanks,

Christian 

Christian, check your private messages from February 13th or so. Pretty sure I already gave it to you.

-Jim-

Message 68 of 74
OMatteJr
Aspirant

I am having the same issue. I have no idea how to send you a private message. Can you help with that so I can get this moving.
Thanks
Owen
Message 69 of 74
Durhammer
Guide

Owen, make sure you're logged on, then click on Christian's avatar icon. There should be a selection of actions around the top left of his profile where you can elect to send a private message.

-Jim-

Message 70 of 74
Mountainmanwv
Initiate

Have the same issue. In any disable mergers armor. When I slide to turn off I get error process taking to long over 60 sec. need this fixed. As my internet keeps disconnecting.
Message 71 of 74
Mountainmanwv
Initiate

I have tried the instructions and it doesn’t work
Message 72 of 74
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Mountainmanwv, 

May you send me a private message with your contact info and serial number. I'd like for our support team to reach out to you. 

Christian 

Message 73 of 74
Kuniste
Aspirant

I have the same problem with Armor as everybody else. I want it out of the system! Now!!

Message 74 of 74
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7