Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: I am already using Bitdefender

RVasc
Tutor

I am already using Bitdefender

Is there any advantage to adding Armor?.  I am already using Bitdefender Total Security software and, of course, have already paid for it.

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 6
Orbi-Roc
Luminary

Hi @RVasc . It depends on your specific circumstances. When connected to your home network, which is where I assume you would install Armor (i.e., on your home network/router), the advantage is that ALL devices connected to your network will be protected, regardless of Bitdefender Total Security being installed or not on specific devices.

In my case for example, I have MacBook Pro's connected to the network, on which I would NEVER install AV software. But while connected to the network, because ARMOR is installed right on the router, the Mac's receive the same protection as all other devices. So are the smart TVs, and all the gadgets visitors bring with them, especially the grandchildren, with phones, tablets, Windows PCs ... Regardless of what security software they have, ARMOR protects ALL connected devices while connected to your ARMORed router.

If you're happy with your current security set up, if I were you I would wait till my BD license expires and then go with ARMOR, which includes BD Total Security for all your compatible devices when working away from your home network.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 6
RVasc
Tutor

Thank you.  That's pretty much what I had already decided to do, given that I have 300+ days left on my Bitdefender license.  Now I have to ask, why would it be so terrible to install Bitdefender on my wife's MacBook Pro?

Message 3 of 6
Orbi-Roc
Luminary

Hi again @RVasc . Mac's exposure to viruses is next to NIL. The very few that came about over the last few years were quickly dealt with by Apple's securiry updates. Mac users who are also running Microsoft software on their Mac's are at risk; but otherwise, Mac's are safe, not only because of Apple's robust security built into MacOS, but also because they are VERY quick to responde to threats.

But having Armor installed on the router and being constantly dunned by the Netgear Amro to install Bitdefender Total Security, I did so, despite the best advice I received from Apple's Community. For me, this was NOT a good experience for me. The MacBook's performance deteriorated, I lost access to all Apple Store updates and downloads, and the list goes on and on, not to mention a lot of 'studdering' on Netflix streaming!

As far as Mac's go, I don't think you need anything; and a quick visit of the Apple Community forums will attest to this over and over again. For those who are adamant about having extra protection on their Mac's, some have suggested ClamXAV. I've been using it, with no issues -- but it hasn't catched anything either, BECAUSE THERE IS NOTHING OUT THERE TO CATCH that Apple hasn't already caught on to and nuked.

Have a good one!

Message 4 of 6
RVasc
Tutor

Thank you again.  I use personally no Apple products, it's a long story that started with a Lisa back in the 80's.  I'll install nothing on my wife's computer.

Message 5 of 6
Orbi-Roc
Luminary

You're very welcome @RVasc . I'm glad I was able to help. Have a good one!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7