Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ISP says Malware comming from my network

bkuhr
Aspirant

ISP says Malware comming from my network

Not that I completely trust email I got from ISP stating they detected Malwear Bot coming from my network, but gave no indication of which device on my network might be responsible. I did recently plug a Firestick into HDMI port of wireless IP TV, that I suspect "could" have malwear installed.

ISP wants me to load their 'scan tool', but that would only scan the one pc loaded on, and will not scan all the other devices on my network, from multiple wired pcs, cameras (also recently installed chinese IP cameras that 'could' have malwear, SamKnows test router, printers, voip system. Also have numerious wireless devices from phones, laptops, printers, TVs, cameras, range extenders, security system....

Can't seem to find easy software program to run AV/Malwear scan on the LAN network, and seems to me any scan needs to be run at Router level to help detect melious devices on the LAN network.

Wondering if NetGear has such a LAN scan tool built in, or option to get a scan tool or subscription in the router.

I know when I first purchased, Netgear wore me out to subscribe to extended service and NetArmor. Not sure what NetArmor really is, and if it can SCAN and IDENTIFY suspect devices on the entire LAN network, wired and wireless, or does it just protect instrusion attempts thru firewall? (they wore me out so severly, I was debating to replace $200 router to something else, pretty bad bad marketing IMO, only 90 day tech support was also pretty lame to me also, trying to hook you into support subscription)

Needless to say, I let NetArmor expire without every trying to use. If it turns out to be the program I need, how do I get reinstalled/subscribed?

If NetArmor is not sutable to SCAN and IDENTIFY (maybe it just protects traffic over firewall... IDK), then is there a suggestion of another program(Netgear or something else) to scan LAN at router level to identfy suspect devices? If so, how to use, load, run at router level?

I thought of wireshark, but not sure what suspect malwear traffic would look like. I figure it would have to be some program simular to wireshark, that can run both active on the spot scan, and passivly monitor traffic, on the chance that a removable device from the network, suddenly is connected and knows signature files, outbountd IPs of Virus and Malwear, to report back to LAN admin. In the back of my mind, I could imagine a relative visits with infected phone, connects to my guest WAP, and my ISP sees this malwear traffic...

Firmware Version
V1.0.11.106_10.2.100

Thanks in advance

Brian

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ISP says Malware comming from my network

Hi Brian,

If you recently purchased the device I would recommend contacting our support team as newly purchased devices are provided with 90 days of complimentary support. You may open a ticket by registering your device using the link below. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Christian 

Message 2 of 3
bkuhr
Aspirant

Re: ISP says Malware comming from my network

Christian,

router was registerered in 7/2020, no chat, email or phone support available. Hardware warranty is about to expire. That is why I asked here, on the forum, if NetArmor was the correct solution to Detect and Identify suspect devices on my LAN network. Was hoping for an answer other than contact support

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7