Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is Netgear Armor just using an old version of Bitdefender?

John_Ba
Luminary

Is Netgear Armor just using an old version of Bitdefender?

Is Netgear Armor just using an old version of Bitdefender? My Netgear version  is 24 and the current Bitdefender is 25. Clearly have been security problems blocked in the interim between 24 and 25 and I have been dealing with Bitdefender with a problem that has meant to have been fixed with a new 25 build. If they are updating version 25 to deal with problems reported from Netgear Armor when do these fixes get passed down?

Message 1 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Get almost all your Netgear Armor questions answered by the official partner -> Netgear Armor powered by Bitdefender  

To my knowledge, there is no specific Netgear Armor version for the endpoints. Netgear is not involved what becomes available when.

Needless to say, the Bitdefender stuff (like the network vulnerability scanner) were specifically built and maintained for the Netgear routers.

Online and offline updates are the very same:

Message 2 of 6
John_Ba
Luminary

Just had a Bitdefender reply that says it what is used by Armor Netgear is different

"The update for Netgear armor will be released in the near future.
Rest assured that I will return to you as soon as the update is released.

Thank you for understanding."

This may well be due to having to adapt the program to how it’s used or whatever.

But what needs adapting as both versions of the program will be run on the same computers? It does mean problems/vulnerabilities in the basic program remain in the older version used in Armor for longer than the main program indeed does it ever catch up? Given that Netgear Armor is actually much more expensive than the basic Bitdefender cost, the only difference being its running in a form on a router (my old Asus had life support for the initial purchase cost for much of this) I am wondering if this is worth it.

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@schumaku wrote:

To my knowledge, there is no specific Netgear Armor version for the endpoints.

While the handling is the same for the Apps there are dedicated builds for Armor Bitdefender - sorry, my bad.

Message 4 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@John_Ba wrote:

This may well be due to having to adapt the program to how it’s used or whatever.

But what needs adapting as both versions of the program will be run on the same computers?

Just some standard build, test, integrate and run one would guess ...

@John_Ba wrote:

It does mean problems/vulnerabilities in the basic program remain in the older version used in Armor for longer than the main program indeed does it ever catch up? 

The never ending rat race, marketing people playing with the human fears, you need Best***2020 Next***2021 is out, and Overlord***2022 will make this or that some 0.321% faster, better, ...

This is what the xxxx2021 and yyyy2022 makers are busy with these days: Ensure the market is buying the annual updates, ideally already from mid of June for the next year version.

@John_Ba wrote:

It does mean problems/vulnerabilities in the basic program remain in the older version used in Armor for longer than the main program indeed does it ever catch up?

When you consider that engines and databases are in a constant enhancement process, and virtually the same content is used - get yourself a life! In real world, in small or big environments, roll-outs take time ... 

@John_Ba wrote:

Given that Netgear Armor is actually much more expensive than the basic Bitdefender cost, ...

No idea what you are comparing here actually.

"For $89.99 per year, you can install Bitdefender [read: Bitdefender Total Security] on five devices; upping that to $99.99 raises the limit to 10 devices." (this is not including the unlimited VPN)

Source: https://uk.pcmag.com/suites-2/34446 "Bitdefender Total Security"

Netgear Armor does include the 24*7 security scanner operating on the router covering your home LAN, and unlimited (fair use) client installations for introduced originally at $69.99, the raised to $99.99 (also not including the unlimited VPN).

And because the Bitdefender marketeers are offering 50% discount for first time subscribers, Netgear Armor came down even more to $44.99 these days. 

Welcome to the rat race!

Message 5 of 6
John_Ba
Luminary

For what I need in the UK I can get it to cover 5 installs one year  for  £19.99, or for 2 years, for 10 devices, for £32.26 both a lot cheaper than the Armour cost.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7