Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Losing internet on iPhones with Armor App installed

Hughixman
Tutor

Losing internet on iPhones with Armor App installed

Hello,

I recently purchased the 1 year subscription for Netgear Armor and almost daily whether we are connected to Wifi in our home or Away on LTE we both loose all internet access on our iPhones no matter what site we try to go to. Sometimes rebooting phones resolves but only for a short time. I reinstalled the app on our phones but the issue still happens. I finally uninstalled the Armor app on our phones and the issue has not happened since and that was 2 weeks ago. Does anyone know if there is a solution to this? If not I will see if a refund can be obtained but not sure if that can happen.

Thank You

Message 1 of 17
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Hughixman,

May you check to see if your router is due for a firmware update. Also, have you had a moment to get in contact with our support team? 

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Christian 

Message 2 of 17
svetaketu
Luminary

Hi @Hughixman,

I have this same issue on my iPhone6s and iPhone11 and iPad.

This is caused by the Web Protection filter feature of the Bitdefender Mobile Security for iOS App.

I'm stil waiting for Bitdefender L2 support to contact me to resolve this. This issue is not about Armor.

I'll update this thread once I get a resolution.

Message 3 of 17
svetaketu
Luminary

Hi @Hughixman,

BD Support had me change the DNS settings on my devices, but it didn't fix it on my end.

You might want to try it out: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using#ios

I'll post regular updates about this.

Message 4 of 17
Hughixman
Tutor

Hi Christian,

My Router is up to date on Firmware. The issue happens on our iPhones when we are away from home using LTE. I will reach out to support since removing the Armor App from our iPhones fixed the issue but would like to see if there is a solution vs canceling subscription for Bitdefender/Armor.

Thank You

Message 5 of 17
Hughixman
Tutor

Hi Svetaketu. Thank you for the information on the DNS. Ill keep this in mind and am putting in a support request as well. 

Message 6 of 17
Spiderdanny
Aspirant

Hi all,

I am having the same issue i.e. internet on iphone X and Iphone 11 dropping frequently when armor is installed. De-installed it on both devices and both are functioning correctly immediately. Did you guys hear back from BD?

Thanks

Message 7 of 17
Hughixman
Tutor

I still need to log a support file with them as have just been too busy the last few days. Ill likely create one later this week. At least not having the app installed is a temp workaround to allow internet access.

Message 8 of 17
svetaketu
Luminary

Hi @Hughixman @Spiderdanny 

Their latest response was to delete the VPN and Web Protection profiles.

Tap on Settings -> General -> VPN and here you can find both VPN and Web Protection Profiles.

This didn't work for me too though. 😞  Still waiting for the next step.
Message 9 of 17
svetaketu
Luminary

Hi,

BD Support said that this is a known issue and their engineers are working on it. No ETA given for the fix though.

Message 10 of 17
svetaketu
Luminary

I just checked my iOS devices today and Web Protection seems to be working now.

I have not received any confirmation from BD that the issue has been resolved. So I'm not sure if the issue will come back.

Here are the current versions of iOS and Bitdefender Mobile Security on my devices:

iPhone 6s:

Bitdefender Mobile Security version - 3.0.0

iOS version - 14.6 - upgraded to 14.7.1

iPhone 11:

iOS version - 14.6

iPhone 11:

iOS version - 14.6

iPad Mini (5th Gen):

iOS version - 14.6

Message 11 of 17
RSteiner
Initiate

Just a quick note to help pass-along some observations.  I was running an Orbi RBS50 setup with 2 satellites.  I had Netgear Armor running on that.  I was having a lot of issues with internet drops, had Verzion do a bunch of troubleshooting, did a bunch of troubleshooting myself.  Sometimes WiFi connection would stay up, but I'd lose Internet access, sometimes I'd lose WiFi and Internet.  Things would hang randomly all over the the house, IOT devices, Streaming devices, other stuff.  Ended up buying a Nighthawk, spent a bunch of money on that.  After moving my Armor license to the Nighthawk, it started doing the same thing, not as bad initially, but it just continued over time.  I started playing with Access Control, which I had turned on, that didn't seem to matter.  Three days ago I disabled Armor in the Nighthawk.  My connection has been rock-solid ever since.  I can only conclude that the Armor software isn't fully baked.  I will not be turning Armor back on, this has been the most solid three days of connectivity in a long time.  I hope this helps someone from losing their mind!

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 12 of 17
MimiTN
Guide

RBR750.  I have this same issue on all apple devices, including my Apple TV's.  Armor on, buffering, Armor off, no buffering AT ALL.  It is pretty clear Armor is causing the problem.  And it's pretty clear from all of the posts in this forum that Armor is 1. confusing/frustrating to install, 2. causes throttling of your internet connection and 3. that Netgear support has degregaded to the point that now you actually have to pay them to get an answer to an issue they created if you've owned your product more than 90 days (and good luck then even finding a tech that can answer your question - is it Netgear or is it Bitdefender?).  Netgear/Armor need to question why there is a need for a special section with thousands of posts all devoted to issues with Netgear/Armor.  This partnership between Netgear and Armor has, in my opinion, given both of them a bad name, which is unfortunate, because individually, they were great (at least Netgear was when they actually provided support).  My experience has been so dissatisfactory that my next router will not be a Netgear.  

Message 13 of 17
BruceMartin
Guide

Does anyone know when Armor on the iPhone is going to work again.  I removed it because I was having the same problem noted above.  I am past 90 days so can't get support.  Basically screwed.  I can't believe how long it takes for them to solve such a serious issue whereby people have to remove Armor VPN from their phone.  Very frustrated with Netgear.

Message 14 of 17
Jeffgear
Luminary

Browsing to a new URL either appears to hang or takes a long time from my iPhone 12 Pro Max with Armor enabled. If I pause Armor then browsing is responsive and normal. What seems to fix it for a period of time is to kill safari, kill Armor, reboot the iPhone, restart Armor and enable web protection, then safari browsing responds fine. Armor seems to need a periodic kick. I’ve seen the same on my Armor protected iPad. However my MacBook Pro is fine and has been running Armor for months with no issues browsing sites although it’s been through a few MacOS upgrade reboots that have no doubt restarted Armor. Hopefully this is a known issue with iOS devices seeming to stall when trying to browse and will be resolved as it’s useful to have Armor on my iOS devices.
Message 15 of 17
MimiTN
Guide

It is absolutely ridiculous that Netgear/Bitdefender released this in this state.  I 100% have internet, and as a result, phone, streaming and device issues, when Armor is on.  Turn it off and it goes away 100%.  I think Netgear should offer refunds for this router, since a big selling point was the Bitdefender being built in and working.  At a minimum, they should be offering  NONPAID tech support.  Apparently they can not get it working.  They are giving each other a bad name.  I am now not a fan of Netgear, nor Bitdefender. 

Message 16 of 17
bdemmert
Tutor

I am having the same problem with my Orbi RBR850 and 1 satellite.  Everything was working fine, then I downloaded the free trial of Armor and the internet disconnects over night...every night.  I have disconnected Armor and everything is working fine. C'mon NETGEAR, get this bug fixed!

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7