Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NetGear Armor on R8000

thwooldr
Aspirant

NetGear Armor on R8000

I just installed the Security Software Armor Free Trial/Eval. I have several support related issues. I can't find support for the armor product. Please advise if this product is features technical support.

Issues:

Q1: Devices not monitored; Devices that are on my network are not recognized by the Armor Security Software?

Q2: Management Menu; Where are the features in the Armor package that controls access or Armor features All i found was a list of the devices it did find no control menu? Features like alerts of devices accessing my network, approve or deny.

Q3: Application Overhead; I noticed a huge reduction is band width post installing the Armor Security. About 75% reduction? Is this normal? 479mb/s connection reduced to 128mb/s. Is there any way to regain the speed and still use the feature?

Q4: Privacy; I captured on my network analyzer some odd traffic on my network post installing the Armor Security. I traced it back to a feature of Armor that accesses photos for security purposes. Is Armor software downloading all my photos?

Q5: Manufacture Support; Is there manufacture support of this product. I click on the link and it only leads to a common question list. No link to support. Is that it?

Q6: Features provided are software to install on devices not firewall based features? Post running this app for 24 hours, it appears that the features of this “firewall app” are really software apps to be install on all the devices. As in Bit Defender apps. Is this a correct assessment or is there something else I will benefit from? This is using a lot of bandwidth.

Thanks

Wink

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6
Orbi-Roc
Luminary

Hi @thwooldr . This is an older post, so perhaps all these questions have been resolved by now. On the odd chance that they're not, and for the benefit of other readers, here's my take on them:

Q1: All internet-connected devices should be picked up by Armor. Perhaps if you could give us more detail as to which devices aren't someone here would be able to help.

Q2: Access control is not a feature of Armor but a feature that is built-in your router via your router's Web page. Once you sign-on to your router's Web page, select [Advanced] [Security] [Access Control.] This is out it works on the Orbit routers' Web page - might be a bit different for your router.

Q3: I have see this mentioned a number of times in other posts, but I haven't experienced any impact on bandwith personally.

Q4: Scanning is not dowloading. To the best of my knowledge, Netgear/Armor/Bitdefender are not downloading photos.

Q5: You can check your product documentation, but for the most part I believe that there is a 30-90 day free support; and following that initial period, you have to purchase a plan if need be. 

Q6: The features of Armor are well explained in the Q&A available on this web site. But you are correct, all the features of Armor are software-driven, powered by Bitdefender. The software is first and foremost installed directly on the router and available when you activate it during trial or after purchasing the subscription. There is no need to install anything else on your computers, tablets and phones, as long as they're connected to your network, since Armor will protect you. But if you want the same level of protectin when using your devices on networks other than your Armored-Network, then you have to install Bitdefender Total Security on each device, which is included in your subscription price. As for bandwith usage and speed, I have not noticed any deterioration at my end.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 6
thwooldr
Aspirant

Hi Thanks for the reply. Most of the Questions i posted were more statements than questions. But thanks for the reply your very kind. The bandwith useage is real, not a question, the bitdefender does download the photos as a service i verified a day after posting this. I stopped using the 8000 as a result of installing bit defender the router never again was able to process more than 200mbs average. I have a 600mbs connection. I switched to a watchguard T35 and AP420 combo. It has fail over and UTM and is the only system featuring WIPS. This is now the only solution for MIM, and BOT attacks.  Have a good one.  

Message 3 of 6
Orbi-Roc
Luminary

Hi again @thwooldr . Thanks for chiming back. Best!

Model: R2000|N300 WiFi Router, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@thwooldr wrote:

I switched to a watchguard T35 and AP420 combo.

About 2500 USD in hardware .... compared to some consumer junk?

Message 5 of 6
WinkEye
Aspirant

I had no choice as there were serious intrusions over WiFi and loose policy tools for web traffic.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7