Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Armor Nearly Useless?

stevefoobar
Initiate

Netgear Armor Nearly Useless?

I generally find most security apps to be nearly useless for most users, even very technical users like myself. When they do provide a warning, there is usually nothing one can do about it or there is rarely enough information provided to make an informed decision. Netgear Armor seems to be no exception to this.

1. Most of the sites it has blocked appear to be fine and sites I want to go to. Is there any way to control what sites it blocks? In other words, can I have my own white list?
  2. A recurring message I'm getting about my printer is nearly useless. It's something like this: "The printer [brother] has a low security ftp login ID or password". Notice the use of the "or" in this warning message? This means it could be the login ID "or" the password. Why not tell me exactly? They are very different things. Furthermore, this printer doesn't even have ftp setup.
  3. Lastly, either Netgear Armor or Bitdefender (probably Armor) is pinging my printer every single week and as a result, making the printer print out 3 pages of mostly blank space with some garbled text. Very annoying. I would rather not waste paper like this and don't want the printer to suddenly come alive to print these 3 sheets, sometimes in the middle of the night. Does anyone know how to exclude a device on your network from being scanned or perhaps to manually mark it as safe?

My trial ends in a couple of days and I'm inclined at this point to uninstall Armor from my router and Bitdefender from my computers.

Thanks.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 9
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @stevefoobar, welcome to the community. I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Dexter

Message 2 of 9
Feasoron
Aspirant

I'm having the same printer issue - I get a basic HTTP header output printing. Did you ever find a solution to this?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 9
stevefoobar
Initiate

No solution and no response from tech support.

Message 4 of 9
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Feasoron, I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Dexter

Message 5 of 9
cfansoon
Tutor

For me, armor is very useful.

Before I use Netgear armor, I have another very famous security software on my Macbook.

But my Macbook always very hot (high tempareture) !

So I was thinking maybe I need to try other security software.

I decided to use Netgear's armor.

After setup the Netgear armor, replaced the old security software on my Macbook with bitdefender antivirus and run scan.

The bitdefender detected threat and blocked the threat.

Strange is, the previous security software I have on my Macbook did not detect this threat.

Now my Macbook does not become hot as before.

Message 6 of 9
Pollius
Aspirant

... and 5 satellites in operation for 2 years without problem !

Same problems for me with my Brother printer since Armor activation ...

And for 10 days, could not send and receive mails with IMAP (ok with outlook and gmail) !

Help please

Pollius

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 7 of 9
CFS_3764
Tutor

A google search "Top 100 malware sites" will give you a list of some example malware sites.

I'm wondering If you try to access some of those example malware site, will Negear armor give you a warning and advice you not to visit those site?

Anyone has Netgear armor tried this?

(I am still waiting armor firmware for my R8000P router).

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 8 of 9
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @CFS_3764, Armor does block or stop you from accessing malicious sites in our tests. You'll get a warning preventing you from opening the page.

Dexter

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7