Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Armor Outage?

kc6108
Luminary

Netgear Armor Outage?

Is Netgear experiencing issues with Armor ATM? None of our devices (dozens of them, of all flavors… iPhones, Google Chromecast w/ Google TV, etc etc etc etc) can play YouTube videos. You can load YouTube, all the videos will load, but can’t play any videos. Just a buffering circle shows. Exact same is occurring with Paramount+. Can load the app, see the UI and videos, but videos won’t play. When you attempt to, the video times out and a message is shown.

If we turn off WiFi and use cellular data on our iPads/iPhones/etc, all is fine. Switching out our router… an RAX120 (with Armor activated) with another router… such as an R9000… all is fine.

Please no responses like what firmware I’m on, have I tried resetting the router, etc. I’m a software development and network architect, as well as, a beta tester of hundreds of network devices.

This is a question for others that use Armor, etc and if they are experiencing the same issues as us.

No responses that Netgear doesn’t monitor this forum, etc.

I have a low tolerance for bull$!@? and id10t$
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
kc6108
Luminary

I figured it out! Using Cloudflare’s 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1 DNS servers in Internet Setup were causing all my problems. I switched to the option of using my Internet provider’s.

I don’t know why using 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1 was causing problems in the Orbi and RAX120 setups. The R9000 setup wasn’t using 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1, but it wasn’t configured to use Netgear Armor functionality, have the service activated, and maybe not even have the functionality as an option in the first place… can’t remember. Both setups use Sparklight Internet via a DOCSIS 3.1 modem… and Sparklight has 3.1 configured on their end.

Update: Just had another customer run into this issue… using an Orbi, Armor, and 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1. That makes three.

Is it Sparklight? Is it 1.1.1.1? Is it Armor? Don’t know, but not using 1.1.1.1 fixes the issue.

Hope this helps someone else.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
kc6108
Luminary

The same exact issue is occurring for an Orbi setup I deployed for a customer. I’m not sure if it’s Armor that’s the culprit, but the customer does have Armor activated.

This may be a known issue. I just noticed at the top of this forum a message about an outage. Clicking the link shows an Orbi outage/performance degradation…
Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What happens if you disable Armor in the NH app, then power OFF the RAX120 then back On. Does streaming work then? 

Message 3 of 8
kc6108
Luminary

I figured it out! Using Cloudflare’s 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1 DNS servers in Internet Setup were causing all my problems. I switched to the option of using my Internet provider’s.

I don’t know why using 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1 was causing problems in the Orbi and RAX120 setups. The R9000 setup wasn’t using 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1, but it wasn’t configured to use Netgear Armor functionality, have the service activated, and maybe not even have the functionality as an option in the first place… can’t remember. Both setups use Sparklight Internet via a DOCSIS 3.1 modem… and Sparklight has 3.1 configured on their end.

Update: Just had another customer run into this issue… using an Orbi, Armor, and 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1. That makes three.

Is it Sparklight? Is it 1.1.1.1? Is it Armor? Don’t know, but not using 1.1.1.1 fixes the issue.

Hope this helps someone else.
Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. 

I guess using some 3rd party DNS doesn't work with some NG apps. 

Good to know. 

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.

https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 5 of 8
Topology
Virtuoso

@kc6108 , FYI:  I have used the Cloudflare “1.1.1.1 for Families” DNS resolver (both IPv4 and IPv6) with NETGEAR Armor on a RAXE500 for several months, and have observed no problems.

Message 6 of 8
kc6108
Luminary

I switched back to using 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1 today versus using my Internet provider’s DNS servers. Youtube and streaming services are working properly again just as they had for years prior to my first post. I’m not sure if it was a glitch with Cloudflare, Sparklight, or Netgear… but it’s fixed now.

Update: I switched back on an RAX120 and an Orbi to complete success.
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
Enjoy. 📡

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7