Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Armor - Scam?

Zen404
Tutor

Netgear Armor - Scam?

I’m beginning to assume Netgear Armor is a scam altogether. I can see no history of any scans/activity in the Orbi app. When I check for any potential threats “defended”, it lists none. If you check the official FAQ regarding canceling your subscription it tells you to contact Bitdefender support. When I contacted Bitdefender support, they told me they’d need to “escalate the issue” of potentially cancelling.

If I haven’t been contacted by someone who can answer my questions or solve my problem, I’ll be reaching out to my credit card company to dispute the charge. Hoping this horror story prevents someone else from subscribing without knowing any better.
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
Orbi-Roc
Luminary

Hi @Zen404 .

What kind of devices are you using on your network? I could understand why you wouldn't see any threats defended if all your devices are iOS and OS X. I don't have Armor yet, sitting on it for now, and informing myself. But what I find peculiar reading various posts here is that whenever there is an issue with Armor, Netgear moderators defer users back to Bitdefender; and yet, users who activated Armor contracted with Netgear, not Bitdefender. One would think that Netgear would take on any issues directly with Bitdefender and provide users with the answers they seek. Where the charge come from on your credit card: Netgear or Bitdefender?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 7
Orbi-Roc
Luminary

Hi again @Zen404 

One more point. I don't think this is a scam. Both Netgear and Bitdefender are reputable organizations and I doubt very much that they would risk damaging the valuablue goodwill they've accumulated over the years. I just think that the Armor thing is simply not being managed and supported as well as it should. It's still relatively new. One can only hope that things will fall into place ... eventually. 

Message 3 of 7
Zen404
Tutor

It’s a mixed environment including PC’s, game consoles, IoT devices, etc. None of the devices show any threats detected, but more importantly no device including the router shows any scans having been completed.

The charge showed up as AVANGATE.com.

To your post below, while I understand your sentiment, a scam is a scam. Whether it’s done through malicious motives or improper handling is irrelevant. If I’m charged for a product that’s not doing as advertised while simultaneously being told that I need to “escalate” my issue when I ask to cancel (per the process outlined in the product FAQ), that feels like a scam to me. I do hope you end up being right though. Either way I’ll post whatever the ultimate resolution is here.
Message 4 of 7
Orbi-Roc
Luminary

When you first activated Armor @Zen404 , I presume that this was the free trial version, right? Did Armor detect anything when first installed? 

Message 5 of 7
Zen404
Tutor

No, it’s never hinted at any scans or found vulnerabilities between the trial or paid subscription.
Message 6 of 7
Orbi-Roc
Luminary

Hi @Zen404 . One more point. I disagree with your comment to the effect that "... a scam is a scam. Whether it’s done through malicious motives or improper handling is irrelevant."

By definition, a scam is a fraudulent business scheme, like a forgery or a swindle. So while I wholeheartedly agree with you that your experience so far with this product is deplorable, there is no scam here but rather bad roll-out of Armor.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7