Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Armor access lost after latest firmware update.

Neil53
Star

That what armor told me and was told  and netgear told me after I got sucker into paying for support from netgear

Message 26 of 42
Neil53
Star

That what armor told me to do and netgear told me that after I got suckerd into paying netgear for help

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 27 of 42
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @KennyP14, please let me know if the factory reset did not resolve the issue.

Dexter

Message 28 of 42
KennyP14
Tutor

Factory reset worked. Is this how it's gonna be with every firmware update? Really annoying to have to do a reset and lose all my settings.
Message 29 of 42

Not very good is it. First the firmware upgrade process bricked my Router costing me an hour to unbrick it - and now you want me to factory reset it and waste more time putting the settings in again?  I am not looking forward to the next release!

Message 30 of 42
KennyP14
Tutor

Seriously NETGEAR, we are the exact kind of hardware customer you want. The kind that buys the hardware AND is willing to also pay for additional services via a subscription. HOW DO YOU NOT TEST THOUROGHLY? I really don't get it.
Message 31 of 42
Orbi-Roc
Luminary

I don't have Armor, not yet. Having spent some time in this forum to read various posts, I'm glad I didn't and will likely keep it the idea on the back burner until things settle down. This Armor initiative is still relatively new, so I think it is normal to expect some hiccups here and there. That being said, I am surprised that a factory reset was necessary ... I would have thought that a simple reboot would have done the trick.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 32 of 42
mike-asfaw
Initiate

"Its not really acceptable for a security solution to fail on a firmware upgrade and have Netgear not take any action or show any concern about it"

My Armour subcription failed on the firmware upgrade. Bitdefender installed through Netgear Armor on all my computers are now disabled/expired even though my account is active. I agree it is unacceptable. I am losing faith in Netgear.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 33 of 42
Neil53
Star

When you do a reinstall you have to make sure that you use the email address that you signed up with if you use a different email address it will not activate the armor account 

Message 34 of 42

I don't think it's really very helpful to keep repeating the obvious here. I for one certainly used the same account and others here did too. There is clearly an issue that goes beyond just user input.

Message 35 of 42
johnmctech
Guide

I used the same email when I set it up originally and it didn't work until I did a factory default. It's a pain and obviously Netgear have overlooked the Armor feature or they don't care. I bought this product for the Armor and Disney Circle functions
Message 36 of 42
jaycar
Aspirant

I have had the same issue

I upgraded my R7000P to V1.3.1.64_10.1.36 today. And my Armor subscription that I have paid for was unable to be reactivated after the upgrade

A factory reset allowed me to reactivate, but this means I had to spend 30-45 minutes returning my router back to my required state

Please can netgear own this issue and fix.

Thanks

Message 37 of 42
Orbi-Roc
Luminary

Hi @jaycar . Yeah, that's a pain. One way to avoid this with the next update, go to the web portal and sign-on; on the Advanced Tab, click on [Administration] and then

[Backup Settings].

Then click on Backup and you'll find a file called NETGEAR_Orbi.cfg file which you can use to restore your settings once the firmware is updated.

Message 38 of 42
Orbi-Roc
Luminary

Sorry @jaycar I just realized that your route is not an Orbi. But I assume that your web portal will offer the same backup settings functionality.

Message 39 of 42
ODT
Initiate
Initiate

Yeah, I had the excellent experience of renewing my Armour subscription, then noticing I had a firmware upgrade, which I performed, and now Armour won't activate "due to some reason." Which is exactly what the error says. I know, I know.....factory reset the router, etc. etc. That's what I want to do on my one day off between 70 hour work weeks.

Message 40 of 42
Orbi-Roc
Luminary

Hi @ODT . How did things pan out in the end? Was a factory reset the only way to get Armor back?

Message 41 of 42
ODT
Initiate
Initiate

A factory reset was required. I just did it today. I was hoping I was one of the people putting in the wrong email address and/or password but that did not turn out to be the case. After resetting the router, I was able to log right in and get Armor going again.

Someone else already mentioned this, but the best way to do these firmware updates is to:

1) Back up your current configuration

2) Plug into the router with an ethernet cable; don't try to do the updates over wifi

3) Download and execute the firmware update; if it breaks things, roll back and do it on a day when it won't cause you anger and a hundred questions from your family why they can't watch Netflix until Daddy has a drink and stops yelling at the kitties

Having a good backup of your config is going to save a lot of time in general, particularly if doing a reset puts you to work for an hour. Most people aren't going to have a lot to do after a reset, but for others, it creates a bit of work. If you're one of those people, backing up your configuration is probably something you're doing anyway, or know you should be doing.

Message 42 of 42
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 41 replies
  • 26 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7