Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Armor appears to hang my router periodically

rgeiger7
Aspirant

Netgear Armor appears to hang my router periodically

I enabled the trial for Netgear Armor on my R7000 router (S/N: 44224c7h07c81).   Unfortunately, it appears to be randomly blocking all access to the internet and hanging the router.  When it happens the router in not accessable from my wired or WiFi networks or remotely.  I have a number of divices running IOS (various revisions), Ubuntu (16.4) and Windows 10, and a couple of Androit tablets for what that's worth, but it doesn't appear to be related to the connected devices.  To recover, I've had to power cycle the router, and occasionally reboot it again once I've regained access.  I don't have the firmware revision with me for this post, but I updated to the latest available version prior to enableing Armor.

Having disabled Armor things appear to be back to normal, but that was only yesterday evening, so I don't know for sure yet.

I've tried to find information on device compatibility, but I haven't been able to locate any details online, and contacting technical/product support has been a challange and a bit dissapointing.  At one point I saw something about potential compatibility issues with the R7000, but the Armor and NetGear portals appear to indicate that things were functioning properly and provided no information about compatibility issues.  The product (Armor) looked promising, but if I can't resolve these issues I'll have to take a pass.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Netgear Armor appears to hang my router periodically

Hi @rgeiger7, welcome to the community! If you've just updated the firmware and haven't done a factory reset yet, we'd recommend doing so and check if the issue will persist. Let us know how that goes.

Dexter

Message 2 of 5
rgeiger7
Aspirant

Won't a factory reset take the divice back to the original firmware revision?  In which case, I assume that I'll need to re-apply the 1.0.9.88 update (which is where it's at right now).  Is that correct?

Message 3 of 5
rgeiger7
Aspirant

Also ...

If I save a snapshot of the current configuration is reloading that likely to mess with the clean state provided by the factory reset?  In other words, does backing up the configuration back up just the parameters or is that more of a memory image that can carry along corrupt information that can compromize things?

Message 4 of 5
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @rgeiger7, thanks for your excellent questions. Resetting back to factory settings will not roll the firmware back. It will just wipe the router clean of its configured settings. Also, if possible, we'd recommend reconfiguring the router again instead of reloading the config file from a backup especially if coming from a different firmware version.

Dexter

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7