Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Armor problems, Orbi rbk50

Misterbister2
Aspirant

Netgear Armor problems, Orbi rbk50

Hi!

I have an Orbi rbr50 with three extra satellites. In total one base unit (rbr50), two satellites of type rbs50 and one satellite rbs20. The rbs 20 is connected over wire, the rest wireless. I use star topology (not daisy chain/mesh).

I use it in AP-mode and have another router. The Orbi, according to my experience, has been more consistently stable in amp-mode.

A few days ago I decided to try the new Armor-feature from Bitdefender. To do so, I switched over to router mode and tried enabling the armor setting. All I got were error messages. “Registration failed”. Armor didn’t activate.

I read that some users got it to work by resetting/factory defaulting everything. I did that, and then (after the cumbersome setup routines), enabling Armor worked and I tested it for a day.

But the entire process made the wireless stability go down. Backhaul performance became bad. Connection to satellites that have been working flawlessly for more than a year suddenly just went dead.

I spent several hours factory defaulting everything again, resyncing satellites and resetting everything, eventually ending up going back to AP-mode and using another router, dropping the fantasy about testing Armor (since it only works in router mode).

However, and to my big disappointment, going back to the original state seems impossible. Now the stability issues remain and the backhaul goes up and down. Since things were crap anyway, I tried going back to router mode and enabling Armor to try it some more. So I switched to router mode and tried enabling Armor, only to get the exact same result as the first time. Registration failed.

Loss of will to use Netgear followed.

To my questions:

1. I enabled armor, reset the Orbi and tried to re-enable it only to fail. Is there any way to re-enable it? Do I have to factory default it again for the umpteenth time? (Who programmed the code?)
  2. Does anyone know of this is due to massive overload? Three satellites and a lot of connected clients? I know I can just change SSID and shut off all satellites, and the try again but right now I’m so fed up with it all that asking you guys is more appealing.
  3. Does anyone know of there is a way back to stabilizing the backhaul connections?
  4. Are you able to get stable performance, reliable traffic and handovers between satellites (and low latency) in daisy chain mode? I have had problems in the past? Have they been fixed?
  5. Does the 90 day trial of armor run in the background now that I got it running but cannot get back in? And if I want in again in the future I have to pay from day one?
  6. Does anyone know if there is someone to talk to at Netgear? Their support is only available within 90 days of purchase. After that I cannot even find an email address.

I must say I have been very happy with Orbi in the past. Now I am a bit frustrated with the inconsistency in behavior. Same action=different result bugs the hell out of the engineer in me.

All help and any idea is appreciated!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 3
Misterbister2
Aspirant

Thanks! Sorry for the mistake. Looking at it now, it seems to be there already. Someone else might have moved it.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7