Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear tries to slip in a new pay service with their firmware

Frankyvee
Guide

Netgear tries to slip in a new pay service with their firmware

So I just updated my firmware on my R7000 Night Hawk router to version V1.0.9.88_10.2.88 . I just love how Netgear tries to get you to buy into a new Security Service called Netgear Armor owned by Bitdefender. So nowhere on the page do they tell you it will cost $70 dollars a year for this service after the trial period is up. That is very shading business on Netgears part. You should be up front with your customers. This is so unethical  and bad business practice to try to slip this in under the radar of a new firmware update.  Netgear you should be ashamed of yourselves doing this crap.  After 90 days it's $70 dollars a year.   What so sad it maybe a great service but  a lot of people will be turned off by how Netgear is pushing it.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5
glock_19
Aspirant

Re: Netgear tries to slip in a new pay service with their firmware

Just updated Firmaware which contains the Armor product.  Internet speeds slashed to half / unable to connect to cameras / garage door and other devices had issues.  I re-installed previous firmware prior to Armor, now all fine and back to normal again.  Will never update firmware again as long as it contains that junk!!   If I need another router, I will look for other brands without this bloatware junk.  Choice should be on the user side, not YOU pushing a product for more $$$.

I do NOT recommend buying Netgear products from this point on.

Message 2 of 5
yddtime
Luminary

I just installed 1.0.9.88 as well and instinctively avoided Amor since I didn't know what it was. Nowhere does it say it's a paid service during the setup. Now the advertisement for it is front and center every time I connect to the router. I paid for the router now I have to see their ads as well? WTF!

A very unscrupulous move on Netgear's part to imbed the ad on the router's web page.

Message 3 of 5
yddtime
Luminary

It gets even scarier if you install the Orbi app. It activates the subscription without asking your permission. Double WTF!!

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/Unbelievable-Problem-with-Netgear-Armor/m-p/1768342

Message 4 of 5
glock_19
Aspirant

Yeah ... I loved Netgear until this point.  I am just astounded beyond belief at the boldness in which they are doing this to their trusted cutomers.  Wonder how much Bitdefender paid them for this trickery.  I don't know how much onboard memory routers have for firmware but to waste any of it on this?  Really?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7