Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBR50 - Bought Netgear Armor Subscription but Still Shows "Expired" in Orbi Mobile App & Web

iankh
Guide

ORBI RBR50 - Bought Netgear Armor Subscription but Still Shows "Expired" in Orbi Mobile App & Web

This morning, I decided to add Netgear Armor to my Orbi RBR50 router. I must have tried it sometime back and not bought a subscription, however today, I decided to purchase a subscription.

One the Orbi Mobil App I tapped on Security and it took me to the Bitdefender portal (store.bitdefender.com) where I bought the subscription. I received an email with an activation code and activated it. However, on both the Orbi mobile app and logging into the router via the web, it still shows as "expired.".

I have tried:

- Rebooting the router (several times)

- Deleting and reinstalling the mobile app from my iPhone 11

None of this could resolve the issue.

Does anyone know how to resolve this problem?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ORBI RBR50 - Bought Netgear Armor Subscription but Still Shows "Expired" in Orbi Mobile App &...

Hello iankh,

Have you had a moment to contact Bitdefender's support team regarding your subscription? You may use the link below to contact their support team. 

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

Christian 

Message 2 of 8
iankh
Guide

Re: ORBI RBR50 - Bought Netgear Armor Subscription but Still Shows "Expired" in Orbi Mobil

Yes. They said it was NETGEAR’s issue. So this is a case of treating the customer like a ping pong ball.
Message 3 of 8
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ORBI RBR50 - Bought Netgear Armor Subscription but Still Shows "Expired" in Orbi Mobil

Hi iankh, 

May you send me a private message with your email address and serial number and I'll have our support team reach out to you. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 4 of 8
iankh
Guide

Well it took posting a nastygram on the Netgear FB page and a private message via FB to get some kind of response. So far, not very helpful at all.

Yes I used the Bedefender activation code to activate Armor

Yes I've tried TWICE setting the router and satellite back to the factory settings

Result Go in through the browser based orbit management (orbilogin) still shows Armor as not activated.

Just how much time am I supposed to waste over this? I have already spend an accumulated 3 hours on this joke of a project. That's 3 BILLABLE hours I could have been earning money. I am so far in the hole on this whole ill-conceived product. 

Message 5 of 8
pao2
Initiate

I did exactly the same thing and let the trial expire. then a couple of days later, thru an email sent to me by Netgear, paid for and got an activation code. The code seemed to activate except for , guess what, the router. I'm getting the 'expired' in Nighthawk and data i'm looking at by logging into the armor web site is not fully current. Have opened a case with Netgear but so far no results. I'm with you, this is an incredible amount of effort to 'buy' a faulty produce. I'm considering trying to remove everything and either take my loss or get a refund(lol)

@iankh wrote:

Well it took posting a nastygram on the Netgear FB page and a private message via FB to get some kind of response. So far, not very helpful at all.

Yes I used the Bedefender activation code to activate Armor

Yes I've tried TWICE setting the router and satellite back to the factory settings

Result Go in through the browser based orbit management (orbilogin) still shows Armor as not activated.

Just how much time am I supposed to waste over this? I have already spend an accumulated 3 hours on this joke of a project. That's 3 BILLABLE hours I could have been earning money. I am so far in the hole on this whole ill-conceived product. 

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 6 of 8
iankh
Guide

I am on the whole a great fan of Netgear products. I had a Nighthawk prior to the Orbi and purchased the Orbi RBR50 the week it was released. I've recommended Netgear products to friends and have steered many a friend away from Google Nest and Eero and towards the Orbi solution and they have been delighted. I know my Orbi RBR50 is models behind, but it still is a great performer. Netgear routers are just great. 

It is most unfortunate that Netgear Armor, meant to be a product extension, which was, I assume, the path of least resistance for Netgear to be able to add security to their router line and to try to meet the functionality of their competitors. Unfortunately, as I said before, it seems ill-conceived and cobbled together. Partnering may often permit functionality to be brought to market quicker, but it can most usually result in finger-pointing between the partners and the customer is treated like a ping pong ball, as was my experience in trying to get support.

Bitdefender swore up and down that this was an Orbi product problem and it would be escalated to Netgear and I would have an email from Netgear support. After calling twice and hearing only the sound of crickets coming from Netgear, was what at last drove me to post on Netgear's Facebook page. It is a very sad statement that a customer must resort to publically complaining in order to get attention.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 7 of 8
pao2
Initiate

Just to add a bit more to this exercise, I also went through the Bitdefender path and they sent me a 'procedure' to follow to activate Armor thru the Nighthawk app. It's pasted here. Unfortunately, my router/Nighthawk app. does not offer the option mentioned in item no. 5. It may work for someone else? I sent this same information to moderator Mr. Christian. Hopefully he has some insight.

Bitdefender Procedure:

1. Connect your mobile device to your Nighthawk or Orbi router’s WiFi network.
2. Launch the Nighthawk or Orbi app.
The Dashboard displays.
3. In the top left corner, tap the Home or Cloud icon.

Note: The icon varies depending on your router’s

4. Tap SETTINGS > Security
• If prompted, enter your NETGEAR account credentials and tap NETGEAR SIGN IN

5. On the NETGEAR Armor page, tap the Enable NETGEAR Armor slider to turn NETGEAR Armor on or off.
Your changes are saved.

Philip, looking forward to your reply!
Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7