Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi 960 Crashes During High Speed Downloads Over Ethernet

JQuijano
Aspirant

Orbi 960 Crashes During High Speed Downloads Over Ethernet

I have the exact same issue, if i'm downloading and speeds reach over 800mbps, my Orbi RBRE960 restarts every single time. It doesn't matter what game client I use, Steam, Blizzard, etc.

Contacted support and was walked through the exact same nonesense, the problem persist. 

I was previously using an Asus Rog Rapture GT-AX11000, never experience this problem.

Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi 960 Crashes During High Speed Downloads Over Ethernet

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 

Do you have Armor, SPC or traffic meter enabled? 

I've not seen this on my 9 series...

@JQuijano wrote:

I have the exact same issue, if i'm downloading and speeds reach over 800mbps, my Orbi RBRE960 restarts every single time. It doesn't matter what game client I use, Steam, Blizzard, etc.

Contacted support and was walked through the exact same nonesense, the problem persist. 

I was previously using an Asus Rog Rapture GT-AX11000, never experience this problem.

Message 2 of 11
iyang
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @JQuijano ,

Which game do you download ?

which devices do you use ? ex: android/iOS device, laptop, macbook,...

Thanks.

Message 3 of 11
JQuijano
Aspirant

Hey

Windows 11 Pro, Desktop, Rog Maximus XI Formula, i9-9900K, Dominator 32GB, RTX-2080Ti, Samsung 970 PRO 512GB M.2.

Game clients or downloading a specific game does not factor into replicating the restart, it restarts multiple times while downloading games "when sustaining high speed downloads over 70MBs" from the following clients until the downloads are completed.

It has happened with all of the following:

Steam: Dota 2, Warhammer 40k Darktide, Elden Ring, Cyberpunk 2077.

Battle.net: Overwatch, Diablo III, WoW

FFXIV client: FFXIV

I have already spoken with tech support, getting a new unit RMA, don't think it will resolve the issue but we will see. To REITERATE, It ONLY restarts when I'm sustaining high speed downloads over 70MBs, sometimes it lets the download peak over 100MB, but then it will restart multiple times until the download is completed. I've not experienced this problem while I'm on zoom, streaming on PC, TV, tablet, phone, 4 Ring cam, 1 doorbell.

Juan

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you have Armor, SPC or Traffic Meter enabled on the RBR? 

@JQuijano 

Message 5 of 11
JQuijano
Aspirant

Hey,

Yes to Armor, no to SPC or Traffic Meter.

Juan 

Message 6 of 11
JQuijano
Aspirant

Just to point out again from the original comment, I've had been using  Asus Rog Rapture GT-AX11000 and have never had an experience of the router powering down on its own as explained. I also had the ASUS AiProtection enable, which is simmilar to Obi's Armor.

Juan 

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Please DISABLE Armor via the Orbi app, then after its disabled, power OFF the RBR for 1 minute then back on then check downloads again thru the RBR. 

@JQuijano wrote:

Hey,

Yes to Armor, no to SPC or Traffic Meter.

Juan 

Message 8 of 11
JQuijano
Aspirant

SIGH....

So, after disabling Armor and restarting the Orbi, I downloaded 2 difference games from 2 different clients multiple times, both over 80GB sizes (downloads peaking at 117MBs), the router did not restart on its own. I also noticed that the router and satelites were running a lot cooler.

Performed the same task with Armor re-enabled, and the router restarted multiple times during the duration of the downloads, and at idle I notice the router/satelite getting warm.

Why would running Armor cause the router/satelites to run warm, and cause it to restart when dowloading at high speeds? I would prefer the additional security on my network, but not at the expense of my nextwork going down. I never had this problem with  Asus Rog Rapture GT-AX11000 with AiProtection enabled.

Juan

Message 9 of 11
iyang
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @JQuijano ,

Can I know lan pc(download game) connect to base or satellite ?

Thanks.

Message 10 of 11
JQuijano
Aspirant

Hey,

Yes LAN, connected directly to Orbi router.

Juan 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7