Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi router hacked twice rbr50

Monza20
Follower

Orbi router hacked twice rbr50

My router was hacked even with the net gear armor active. The first time I was hacked I did as was instructed, changed all passwords and added two factor authentication. What I didn’t do was do a factory reset of the router and I kept the anywhere remote access on. This time I had to factory reset because my admin login was changed. Why I didn’t know this was because my Orbi app still let me into the router but I couldn’t login to the router directly or via the IP address. Sounds weird but true. I don’t know if the face recognition supersedes a password. Most likely had malware on the router for the first hack but find it absolutely nutty that the net gear armor couldn’t detect that.
So, house cameras were hacked and someone spoke to my 2 and 5 year old..again. Glad they did though. I thought with the two factor authentication and the net gear armor I was safe but nope. I was able to screen grab all of the Mac addresses of the 15 additional devices that ended up with access to my network. It’s useless but at least I have some record of a ton of devices having been given access to my router.

Here are the steps I have taken:
Factory reset of the router
New passwords
Two factor authentication- was useless for the last time but hope with all the steps it makes sense.
Don’t allow for anywhere access
Have restricted all new devices on main network
Activated net gear armor but at this stage I am pretty upset at the actual protection.

Here is a big question to the community, how come I don’t get any notification that someone is trying to access my network?

How come I didn’t get an email saying my password and login information for my router was changed or, better yet, a message via my orbi app telling me so?

If a non tech person like me can come up with these small notifications steps why can’t net gear?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
mmancino
Initiate

Re: Orbi router hacked twice rbr50

Almost the exact same thing JUST happened to me. I found your post because I was googling to see if this had happened to anyone else. 

I just re-upped Bitdefender, and I haver Netgear Armor enabled. Same as you. No notification, nothing. 

I ended up detecting it because my primary computer was running dismally slow as was our Roku device. I ran a speed test and it showed a completely different ISP than it should have. It was showing Performive where it should be AT&T and it was routing our internet through freakin Fukuoka Japan!

Unplugged everything, called AT&T and had them re-enable their modem's onboard WiFi, connected and ran the test again and it was back to AT&T and the correct IP address. Reconnected Orbi, ran the test on a couple mobile devices and back to the Fukuoka server. WTF Netgear?

TBH this is pretty ridiculous. I got them from Costco so I think I may return them and go for a different option.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@Monza20 wrote:
I was able to screen grab all of the Mac addresses of the 15 additional devices that ended up with access to my network.

The MAC addresses won't become visible unless it's directly connected or wireless associated (so direct connected, too). Your suspect intruders are either very near, or they use devices like newer Android or iOS 14 and the like using random MAC. 

Post the screenshots or at least the MAC addresses in question here.

Message 3 of 4
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Monza20 & mmancino, 

Welcome to the community! Thanks for sharing your experiences with Armor. I'd like to gather your email address and serial number for our team to check further. When you have a moment, may you send me a private message with this information? 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7