Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Printer spontaneously prints when Netgear Armor Security Scans

greg1184
Follower

Printer spontaneously prints when Netgear Armor Security Scans

I am having an issue regarding the Netgear armor security software. Each time it runs a vulnerability scan my printer spits out a few pages saying the following:

HEAD / HTTP 1.1

Host: x.x.x.x:9100

User-Agent : curl/7.59.0

Accept: */*

and other pages similar to the above.

Afterwards, I also received a notification on my iPhone for the Netgear Armor app that indicated a scan had been run and that no vulnerabilities were present. It happens each time a scan is done.

How do I prevent this from happening?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 51
CrimpOn
Guru

Oh, my goodness.  Please take a look at this post: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Unwanted-printing/td-p/1822358 

Maybe this issue needs to be posted to the Armor forum: https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/bd-p/en-home-armor 

Message 2 of 51
CrimpOn
Guru

I just went to the Netgear Armor forum and searched for "printer".  Oh, my.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/bd-p/en-home-armor 

We Luddites do not have this problem because we never turned it on. (LOL)

Message 3 of 51
Breakaway9
Guide

I see a lot of inquiries but I see no solutions. Why is my printer spitting out 3 "User-Agent : curl/7.59.0" pages several times a week?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 51
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Breakaway9, I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Dexter

Message 5 of 51
Phylrick
Initiate

Am having the unwanted printout after install of Orbi and Armor. Can you please give me a way to stop this ....and no I don’t want to take it off the net.
Message 6 of 51
Csr2
Aspirant

Hi , I got orbi from Costco and having the problem of printing unwanted pages by router , pls send me solution.
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 7 of 51
bassinator
Aspirant

I have the same issue.  Is there a solution?

Model: RBK53S-100NAS

Firmware: V2.3.5.30

Purchased this Orbi unit at Costco as well and recenty installed it.. I got my first phantom printing recently that supposedly happens when Orbi is installed and perhaps the Armor is activated (which I apparently did).  

How do I get these phantom pages to stop printing this printing to stop?  Printer is a only a few months old - HP OfficeJet Pro 9018 and the firmware/drivers are up to date...

If netgear can't get these pages to stop printing, how do i deactivate the Armor producted deactivated?

Thanks,

Message 8 of 51
nkm49
Tutor

I also have the Orbi router purchased recently from Costco. Can you please update with the solution to this. Lots of wasted paper and ink on 2 different printers!! One printer is an Epson (7100) and the other is an HP Laserjet Pro (M252dw). 

I get the same printouts on each printer as others have stated! Firmware is updated on everything.

Message 9 of 51
Csr2
Aspirant

Disabled armor it helped.
Message 10 of 51
nkm49
Tutor

Great thanks - I was looking for something this the other day, and finally found how to turn it off!!

Message 11 of 51
CrimpOn
Guru

Disclaimer: I have never enabled Armor, so everything I suggest is from reading other comments on the forum, but it's Christmas Day and many of the people who actually "know things" may not be active on the forum today.

It appears that this is one area where the Orbi "app" can do something that the Orbi web interface cannot.  Open the app and scroll down to "Security".  Select that panel and it opens to a page where Armor can be turned off.  (As I said, I have not ever activated Armor, so I cannot confirm this.)

A more interesting solution to this problem appeared in the Armor forum https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/bd-p/en-home-armor 

There was a suggesion that Armor has a provision for the user to specify devices on the LAN which should not be scanned.

i.e. Log onto the Armor web site using (does it have a password?) and enter the IP address of the printer.

There you have it: Hearsay from an ignorant busybody.  Good Luck!

Message 12 of 51
nkm49
Tutor

Thanks CrimpOn. I did manage to find how to turn Armor after I posted this and realized as you said, you had to do it in the app!! I have tried removing the printers as others (including Netgear) suggested only to find the printer was only removed temporarily. 

So hopefully this work until they find a solution to wasted paper and ink!!

Happy holidays!!

Message 13 of 51
schumaku
Guru

@nkm49 wrote:

So hopefully this work until they find a solution to wasted paper and ink!!

There is no serious "solution" as a vulnerability scanner is supposed to test 100% of the network, with all devices on. and no exclusions of ports based on the "assumption" it's a printer and the printer firmware isn't compromised. Disabling Armour or even disabling some specific devices - what an idea - "Yes officer, there was a burglary here - I have a home alarm system, however it was either not armed, and we have the front door disarmed because there is always this noise...".

Message 14 of 51
CrimpOn
Guru

I like analogies, and this one is pretty good.  It would be helpful to look at an explanation of what Armor "does".  (I admit that I have not looked very hard because I elected not to turn it on until others reported their experience with it.)

MY analogy is more like this:

I have a lock on the front door that keeps intruders from getting in.  In addition, each of the devices inside my house has protection against intrusion and tampering. (firewalls, anti-virus, anti-malware, etc.)  This company came around claiming, "We do EVEN MORE", so I hired them to "do their thing."  Now I find that every time they come around they leave a mess in one room that I have to clean up. When I report this and ask them to quit making this mess, they ignore me.

If my gardener always ripped out one plant and I had to replace it, or always left the gate open and my dog got out, I would find another gardener.  Since I have no idea what I am "getting" from Armor, I cannot make an intelligent decision on whether I should keep it and put up with the printer spitting out three pages every week, or turn it off.

Message 15 of 51
schumaku
Guru

Well, with Armor we let a security agent into the house, paying him it to look around everywhere on a regular schedule. This does include opening doors trespassing private property and looking of the windows or doors are in a proper state or locked. It's part of the life... When running vulnerability scanners, (s)crap data can enter chaches (not only printers), LED on simple controllers might start to run crazy, ... and much more.

Message 16 of 51
Adrian97c
Apprentice

Hello,

this is waisting my printer ink & paper!

any updates on netgear fixing this?!

Message 17 of 51
CVGRich
Aspirant

Dexter....I have the same problem.  Please send me the mysterious message that apparently will help me resolve it.  Thanks...Rich

Message 18 of 51
Adrian97c
Apprentice

.30 or .36 either one will not fix the printing issue.
Message 19 of 51
BrandonAcox1
Aspirant

Having same issue with my Orbi randomly printing 3 pages weekly.

I need this to stop.
Message 20 of 51
Adrian97c
Apprentice

Update:

The issue will be fixed on the upcoming 2.5.xxx FW which is not slated to be released until May.

I can’t share anything else due to agreement I had to sign.
Message 21 of 51
Joe51
Aspirant

Same random printer issue I have seen on this forum.  # pages every few weeks   Sample on one page is:

Get/ HTTP/1.1    

Host 192.168.1.11 :9100     

User-Agent:  curl/ 7.59.0 

Accept: */*

2nd page:

Options * RTSP/1.0 

CSeq: 1      

User-Agent:  curl/ 7.59.0

3rd page   HEAD/ HTTP/1.1

Host: 192.168.1.11:9100

User-Agent: curl/7.59.0

Accept:  */*

Printer is an HP Envy 7100 series wireless

Message 22 of 51
mimontice
Aspirant

I have the same problem.  Can you send me the solution as well?  

Message 23 of 51
BrandonAcox1
Aspirant

Check for an update, since the update mine has not done it since.
Message 24 of 51
Joe51
Aspirant

Are you speaking of an Armor update or the ORbi?  

Message 25 of 51
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7