BrandonAcox1
Aspirant

Re: Printer spontaneously prints when Netgear Armor Security Scans

I believe both
Message 26 of 51
DonH1
Aspirant

My Brother HL 3170cdw Laser Jet is doing the same.  I have the R7000 AC1900 Nighthawk that came with Bitdefender.  After reading a lot of posts from others pleading for help, I saw that updating the firmware for my printer may work.  I wouldn't be so bothered by this, but it prints these 3 pages around 2am which wakes my wife (very light sleeper) and I get to hear about it.  I don't get what this does or why it is doing it...When I read about disabling Armor does that mean Bitdefender?  I ask because I don't see an Armor application to close.  

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 27 of 51
Unhappy99
Aspirant

I am disappointed with the lack of responsiveness to this problem. This problem freaked me out. I feared someone hacked into my system. Luckily, the printing did not occur at 2 AM and cause lost sleep.

After I invested hours into research, I decided to call Netgear tech support. Of course, the agent was clueless and a waste of time. Final solution: Disable Nighthawk Armor and wait for an upgrade to the firmware. 

Dexter: I hope you are reading this and can give the community an answer that will help everyone. Emailing individuals with an answer is unacceptable for the community.

Model: AC2100|Nighthawk AC2100 Smart WiFi Router
Message 28 of 51
CTHighfill
Aspirant

Follow these steps to enable or disable NETGEAR Armor using the Nighthawk or Orbi app.

To cancel your NETGEAR Armor subscription, see How do I cancel my NETGEAR Armor subscription?

To turn NETGEAR Armor on or off using your mobile device:

1. Connect your mobile device to your Nighthawk or Orbi router’s WiFi network.
  2. Launch the Nighthawk or Orbi app.
    The Dashboard displays.
  3. In the top-left corner, tap the Home or Cloud icon.
    Note: The icon varies depending on your router’s settings.
  4. Tap SETTINGS > Security.
  5. If prompted, enter your NETGEAR account credentials and tap NETGEAR SIGN IN.
  6. On the NETGEAR Armor page, tap the Enable NETGEAR Armor slider to turn NETGEAR Armor on or off.
    Your changes are saved.
Message 29 of 51
varbanov
Aspirant

I am having the same issue. Please can you email me the solution to the problem as it is offered to other people. Thanks

Message 30 of 51
nkm49
Tutor

I disabled the “Netgear Armor.” If you have the orbi app you can do this by clicking on security. Once I did that it stopped the printer from printing all that wasted paper. I did this a while ago and haven’t checked if they did an update to correct the issue. Hope this helps
Message 31 of 51
Joe51
Aspirant

But doesn't that disable the security for all devices on your network?

Message 32 of 51
CrimpOn
Guru

@Joe51 wrote:

But doesn't that disable the security for all devices on your network?

The Orbi firewall remains.  Any firewall and antivirus software on individual devices remain.  What "goes away" is:

• A "free" version of Bitdefender for individual devices and
  • Software that periodically scans every device on the Orbi network looking for "vulnerabilities", and along the way
    * Printing 3 pages on some printers, and
    * Pointing out that the Orbi web interface is "insecure".

Armor may be "the best thing since sliced bread".  Is it worth printing three pages a week?  I never activated it, so I have no idea how wonderful it is.

Message 33 of 51
mlzemina
Guide

Strange that the only solution is to turn off the enhanced security.
Message 34 of 51
CrimpOn
Guru

@mlzemina wrote:
Strange that the only solution is to turn off the enhanced security.

My understanding is that only certain printers react to the Armor scan by printing three (mostly blank) pages.

My memory from reading posts is that for some printers a firmware update to the printer made that stop.

So one might conclude that customers have few choices:

• Find a way to have Armor not scan their printer, but continue scanning  everything else.
    I do not understand why this solution is not discussed, but I confess to (a) not having activated Armor so I cannot explore "settings", or (b) extensively reading the posts in the Armor community forum.  Maybe this is a solution?
  • Get the printer manufacturer to release updated printer software.
    i.e. "When pigs fly."
  • Live with it and use those three pages for scrap paper.  Also, keep the printer far away from the bedroom so the printing sound doesn't interrupt sleep.
  • Not use Armor.

The only thing Orbi customers have control over is their own actions.

Message 35 of 51
kohp
Aspirant

hello,

same issues here with random printing each weeks on all connected printer. how to solve this?

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 36 of 51
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi kohp, 

May you provide the following info for us to assist you better. 

Router Model:

Firmware Version:

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 37 of 51
kohp
Aspirant

hello,

CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router

V2.3.5.12_1.0.8 

Just FYI The beta version 2.5.0.8 hot fix is out of consideration. it definitely solves nothing, except creating more network issues and incompatibilities.

All honesty, we paid additional support + suport coming from warranty, and nothing good came out of it. Looking forward to see how we get some reliefs.

Thanks

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 38 of 51
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi koph, 

May you send me a private message with your email, phone, and serial number. I'd like for our support team to reach out for further investigation. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 39 of 51
kohp
Aspirant

Ah! If it's for that purpose then don't even bother. I paid then a 3 months expert support, on top of support that goes along with the device... they contacted and provide actually more networks problems. I thought someone here would have been able to DIY troubleshoot. Netgear support? No THANK YOU. I have enough of non senses.
Message 40 of 51
lamcarter
Aspirant

I’m having the same issue every time I get a security network scan. 3 wasted sheets of paper with barely anything printed on them. I thought it was the printer but I see it’s the network security that’s the culprit.

Netgear!!! What are you doing about this annoying problem?!?!?
Message 41 of 51
calh
Aspirant

Sorry not to provide any model, version, OS, etc. details, but our solution doesn't need that. This is simple. We became so sick of the annoyance and the waste of paper, that we simply turn the printer off on Tuesday afternoons and turn it back on either that evening or the next day. If you simply MUST have your printer on all the time, then this clearly won't work for you. But we are light users, and this simple action has made us happier campers for many months now. We established the time to shut down based on the reports that spouse received and the printer spit out. An hour of shut-down would probably be plenty, but we give it much longer. Like I said, not heavy users. A simple alarm goes off to remind me. No more aggravation, no more wasted paper (one can only use so much scratch paper, even in retirement). This thread has grown old along with me, with still no technical solution in sight. Go old school and pull the plug!

Message 42 of 51
Adrian97c
Apprentice

This was fixed by a secret FW upgrade that they never released to public. Very odd.
Message 43 of 51
mlzemina
Guide

How do we get that "secret" firmware update? 

Message 44 of 51
Adrian97c
Apprentice

Random msg here from a tech support agent... then they fwd your info to their secret work from home agents, who trouble shoot & email you the FW update. Lol
Message 45 of 51
SFthriller
Aspirant

@DexterJB can you provide me with the fix?  I just upgraded my orbi security and have been getting the 3 page print outs.  

Message 46 of 51
lamcarter
Aspirant

I would either call them or wait for the tech on this thread to reach out. They will walk you through the FW update as it is not pushed through on the Orbi app even if it is telling you there’s a FW update. Once that happens, you will likely not even get notifications that the security software is doing a scan even though it will still be showing as active and blocking phishing attempts on your network from emails or websites.
Message 47 of 51
MrClinton313
Aspirant

I am having the same issue and have had it for awhile. My firmware is up to date. I am going to follow the lead of others and disable Armor until Netgear gets this issue under control.
Message 48 of 51
lamcarter
Aspirant

Try shutting it down and restarting
Message 49 of 51
CR_RS
Aspirant

I have the same issue and I do not want to shut off my printers as I have multiple users. The firmware is up to date on router and printers. After port scan by Netgear Armor both HP and Epson printers print 3 pages. I would like to know if there is a solution or out goes this product! Thanks

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 50 of 51
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7