Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 and Netgear Nighthawk

sguenthe
Aspirant

R7000 and Netgear Nighthawk

OK, this is not a technical problem. First off, the model number on the bottom of my unit is R7000 AC1900, and I didn't see that as a possible selection up above. In any case, it's not (as I said) technical. I occasionally get a "firmware update" email, and download and install. Just got one the other day and did it. It seemed different, as it included something about "Nighthawk". Well, I figured it's still part of the firmware. Now all of a sudden it seems I've got some Bitdefender softwared embedded somewhere and am have also received a "Netgear Armor trial is now active" email. The email has an "Explore App" button that doesn't do anything but spin when I click on it.I did download a "Nighthawk" app to my iPhone but haven't gone any further with it. I could just delete it but am not sure that would remove the "trial". The long and short of this is that the "trial" word indicates to me that I will wind up paying for something. I don't want that and see no way to undo it. OK, probably my fault, but it still seems to me I was snookered. I don't want anything that has the word "Bitdefender" associated with it on my laptop, in my router, or my universe at all. So, any ideas/suggestions how I get rid of this "Nighthawk" stuff?

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: R7000 and Netgear Nighthawk

Netgear isn't supporting the genie app anymore. The choice for app control is either nighthawk or Orbi (if you're using the orbi)

In terms of Netgear Armor by bitdefender. The software is built into the firmware. You can disable it though. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000060900/How-do-I-turn-NETGEAR-Armor-on-or-off-using-the-Nighthawk-or-Orbi-a...

Message 2 of 4
sguenthe
Aspirant

Hmmmm.... if I do nothing I'm going to start getting a periodic (monthly, yearly?) charge?

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

If you activated your trial with a credit card you might. If you didn't, how are they going to charge you? I don't remember if the trial required a card as its been a while since I tried it. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7