Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7900P Armor?

R7900P Armor?

When I login to my router (web or all) the "armor" solution is displayed prominently but its unable to be activated.  The support page does not list this router as being supported.  Is support coming or is this just going to annoy me every time I login?

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello captinboondoggl, 

May you let us know if you're able to enable/disable remote management? May you also try reinstalling the Nighthawk app to see if there are any improvements. 

Thanks,

Christian 

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 14

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I don't show it as being added in the release notes. And netgear doesn't release when devices get updates. 

but I'd bet its going to be because armor has been a revenue stream for netgear. Again, I'm not netgear so this is just a guess based on how they've rolled it out to older devices. 

Message 2 of 14

Thanks. I assume as much as well. Guess we’ll just need to wait and see.

BTW - their response that they have no idea which models are being supported next is bogus. There are probably 20 project managers tracking and planning and Gantt charting the entire rollout with visibility into 2021.
Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

@captinboondoggl wrote:
Thanks. I assume as much as well. Guess we’ll just need to wait and see.

BTW - their response that they have no idea which models are being supported next is bogus. There are probably 20 project managers tracking and planning and Gantt charting the entire rollout with visibility into 2021.

you're probably right on that. problem is when devices don't perform as they should and they end up testing longer or getting delayed by things like covid. Then they get grief/trouble for not hitting deadlines. Sometimes its just better not to release deadlines. 

Message 4 of 14

Sure - it’s a possible support nightmare. On the other hand they’re asking for one since I am now getting emails telling me to activate armor on my router. Although they may think I have an orbi. (?)

Hopefully the armor enablement timeline is out of sync with their marketing campaign.
Message 5 of 14
AbhayB
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi all,

R7900P does indeed have the support for Armor now. You have to activate using Nighthawk app.

Please make sure you have latest firmware and latest app version. 

Please see below:https://kb.netgear.com/000059442/How-do-I-activate-NETGEAR-Armor-using-the-Nighthawk-app 

Message 6 of 14

Thanks for the reply unfortunately this does not work - I get an error - device is offline. I have the latest firmware and nighthawk app.
Message 7 of 14
AbhayB
NETGEAR Employee Retired

AAh okay. Sorry for the trouble.

That's more technical issues it seems. Let me have a support person reach out to get data such as your serial number etc. 

Message 8 of 14

it Looks like it should work and I keep getting emails telling me to try it out but so far I get that error message whenever I click on “security “ from the app.
Message 9 of 14
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello captinboondoggl, 

May you let us know if you're able to enable/disable remote management? May you also try reinstalling the Nighthawk app to see if there are any improvements. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 10 of 14

enabling then disabling remote management as suggested seems to work.  when I click on security I now get the option to enable armor.  I then activated my trial successfully

THanks for this workaround - you might want to add it to the Knowledge base article about how to enable armor.

Message 11 of 14
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Happy to hear! Have a wonderful day and take care!

Christian 

Message 12 of 14
sothec
Initiate

I received the same error on both iOS and Android.  I spoke with support, which was pointless.  All they suggested was, reset your router which is a bit extreme.   All I did that fixed my issue was disable/re-enable Remote Management.

On your mobile device, open Nighthawk App, go to Settings / Remote Management, then disable.  Then go back and re-enable it.  Once you do that Armor should pop up on your mobile device to activate.  Voila!

Good Luck!

Message 13 of 14

good to know this is a repeatable solution.  

Hopefully whoever is monitoring this board has reported this back to the software team and they are working on a) a fix to the software that makes this step not needed and b) informing support of this worka round so they don't waste peoples time trying to enable this feature.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7