Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router registered to wrong email

Mvannini
Aspirant

Router registered to wrong email

I was trying to activate netgear armor armor and received a message that my router was registered to another email address (one of my family members who’s orbi I had recently set up). How can I get this switched back to my account? Thanks so much.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 22
Orbi-Roc
Luminary

Hi @Mvannini . I am not sure I understand what happened there. If you set up an Orbi router for a family member, that (to me) means the setting up a of different network and router for a familty member living in a different house. If my understanding is correct, please help me understand how this Orbi setup can possibly conflict with your Orbi/Network setup. I don't understand how your Orbi router can be registered to somebody else's email address (family member or else for that matter.)

Message 2 of 22
Mvannini
Aspirant

Here's what (I believe) happened. 

I purchased another Orbi package for my in-laws. I set it up (Using my phone) Yes, go ahead and roll your eyes. :).  Note that this was the 3rd time I had done this. (I also did the same thing at an office location with no issues.

somehow - (I'm sure user error):  it registered my router (which was already existing) to my father in laws email.  I didn't know this until I selected Armor from the dashboard and received the following message:

Your router is registered to (father in laws email).  Log in using this account to manage NETGEAR Armor.  

We should note that i use my email and my password on the Orbi App to access my home confirguration.  

Make sense?  Thanks for the time and assistance. 

Message 3 of 22
Orbi-Roc
Luminary

Hi again @Mvannini . I would wait for others to chime in and see what they say. But I think that a factory reset on your router, and re-registering it under your name and email address, should do the trick.

Message 4 of 22
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Mvannini, welcome to the community!

Please try logging out of the Orbi app then log back in while connected to the Orbi router locally using the admin username and password to access the web UI. Then try activating Armor again. Let me know how that goes.

Dexter

Message 5 of 22
Mvannini
Aspirant

Reset default config. Corrected the issue. However now I’m receiving an error message stating that The armor activation fails to install. One problem solved a new one begins
Message 6 of 22
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Mvannini, to confirm, the error comes up when trying to activate the trial version of Armor, correct? Please provide a screenshot of the message if possible.

Dexter

Message 7 of 22
Mvannini
Aspirant

Screenshot attached.
Thanks so much for checking it out.
Message 8 of 22
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Mvannini

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Dexter
Community Team

Message 9 of 22
Haly2003
Aspirant

I'm having very similar problem. I had an IT tech set up my Orbi and it works great.  However, I realised a few days later that the Netgear Armour on iOS app says my router is registered to ta**********@me.com address which I have never used so I'm at a complete loss. The armor trial activated this morning without my asking it to as well. I've been trying all morning to get into the Orbi app Security Armour tab to no avial.  I can access my Netgear Armour information on my PC by logging in with my Netgear account. No problem.   It just will not work on my iOS. It keeps saying "validating my account" then tells me that my router is registered to the @Me.com account and to use that to login. arrrrrrrgggghhhhhh

Message 10 of 22
gepal
Aspirant

I, too, accidentally typed in the wrong email address when setting up the router for my inlaws.  But, it is not my email address at all, and I could not confirm, so I have no admin control of the router.

So far (3days) Netgear has not come back on my request to change to my correct email address.  As i am leaving for home in another city, I need to complete the setup.

My thought was to do a hard reset of both units, but I fear the Serial Number will continue to be linked to the wrong email address and I will have a brick.  Can you confirm that, after a hard reset, you can configure the unit, as new, and associate a new email address to a Serial Number that is already in the system?

Model: EX7300|AC2200 Nighthawk X4 WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 11 of 22
Haly2003
Aspirant

In our case, it was not my mistake. The email address didn’t resemble mine. I submitted a ticket to Netgear and the registration was fixed once I provided proof of purchase. No explanation how this us even possible. However, I have a remaining issue where the other email was used to activate Netgear Armor and I am unable to access this feature on my router. Factory reset led by Netgear rep did not fix this. This issue is supposedly being looked into but no communication in a few weeks.
Message 12 of 22
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @gepal, I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Dexter

Message 13 of 22
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Haly2003, I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Dexter

Message 14 of 22
Odinwins
Aspirant

Has a resolution been found for the router being registered to incorrect email address? I am currently in this predicament and have contacted Netgear resulting in no change.
Message 15 of 22
gepal1
Aspirant

Odinwins

It took a few days but they did fix the email address problem

@Odinwins wrote:
Has a resolution been found for the router being registered to incorrect email address? I am currently in this predicament and have contacted Netgear resulting in no change.

Message 16 of 22
Mvannini
Aspirant

It’s never been fixed - I still can’t activate Armor.
Message 17 of 22
Haly2003
Aspirant

The registration email was fixed fair quickly but I ran into continued trouble with Netgear Armor. Someone else is registered (the family that owned the other email maybe?) to my Netgear Armor account and I couldn’t activate Armor for our Orbi. I’m still working with Netgear engineers to solve this. It’s been going on for four months. We have tried many things but ultimately they decided to try sending me a new Orbi. It worked, in that I can now access Netgear Armor, but the stranger registered to my account is still there. My Armor account scans my household devices and theirs. If I pay for Armor, I’ll be paying to protect our devices and the stranger’s household devices. This has not been solved yet. It is still ongoing. The Orbi is a brilliant router but there is something inherently wrong with Netgear’s Orbi’s registration sequence.
Message 18 of 22
Volslover
Aspirant

I changed my email address on the Netgear site and now it says that my product is not registered under that email address. My old address which is the one that it says it is still registered under. Please help. 

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 19 of 22
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Volslover, 

For product registration inquiries please contact our Customer Care at customer.service@netgear.com and provide them with the email address and serial number. 

Regards,

Christian 

Message 20 of 22
Mstrbig
Master

When I run across this problem, I have to go back to the previous owner of the Orbi product and have them release the product. I assume Netgear can do this for you, but it would probably require some sort of proof you are the new owner. 

With that said, anyone buying used Netgear device, make sure the previous owner unregistered them from their account. It saves a lot of hassle.

Message 21 of 22
Flame007
Aspirant

You have got to be kidding? The router used to belong to someone else. They now need it to them. Simple... Now how do they register it under their email because this is what I need to know. Not someone asking fifty questions and it's the first thing I see when trying to get a answer.. Not more questions.
Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7